Adventures in Locating

Great idea JD - video would be even 10 times better.

you could post it to youtube and have a link for it here. I think doing it that way doesnt eat up forum resources.

The only person there at this time of the morning was a big guy with a big mustache. Sleeveless shirt, scars, tattoos. Very "rough and tumble" looking guy but he's nothing I haven't tried to pitch a machine at before.

are you being serious? It sounds to me like you are making this stuff up just to have fun? I dont mean any offence but your locating stories are way over the top!

are you being serious? It sounds to me like you are making this stuff up just to have fun? I dont mean any offence but your locating stories are way over the top!

This was a first for me. I've dealt with a lot of typically angry people, but this was the first time I've seen a weapon come out over a candy machine. I've pitched a couple guys (and a lady) who had similar tattoos, scars, etc. The one was a really nice guy, and the others gave me some variation of the runaround, sot that's who I'm referencing. Scars on the hands and arms for the old timers are pretty common around here- it's a mill town and there are a lot of guys who worked at the mills and were injured. This guy had a scar on his forearm, medical perhaps, I should have specified, but I can only speculate as to where he got it. He had at least three tattoos- some bigger ones on his upper arms/shoulders, and something on his chest. I don't know how one counts tattoos- maybe it's just one big tattoo, but I wasn't sticking around to find out. He just had this demeanor of "don't mess with me" and I guess I didn't listen to that. Here's the thing I don't understand- from what I read everyone else' locating is pretty mundane across the country. I can't believe I'm dealing with a rougher crowd in Portage County Wisconsin than JLM is dealing with in Southern California. I don't know how I catch these angry people on their bad days, but I guess I'm just lucky... or unlucky, or perhaps I'm just stupid. I'm sure you experienced guys can just look at a place and know whether it's worth the time and effort, or can look at a person and know how receptive they'll be to a pitch. I don't know, I'll figure it out eventually. I just hope this is the first and last time I have to deal with stab man, or anybody else who's "packing" for that matter.

Wonder if it could be a couple of other overly aggressive and rude vendors locating in your area? Could be they are poisoning the waters for you.

That could be. We have only one big full-line guy, and he got to the top by taking out his competition. A couple others are a little off, while the only one I've ever dealt with was Central Vending, another bulk operator like me, and though he's very secretive (as we all are around local competitors I assume) he seems like a good and ethical businessman. Actually, that would explain a number of my angry business encounters. You may be onto something rdendy.

Archived