Honor Box on top 1-800 Triple?

bulkjake

Not sure what your asking but I know I'm probably in the minority when I say I will take snack boxes over bulk or full line vending. I made my best money in snack boxes and enjoyed the routes more.

Has anyone done this? How were the results? It seems like it would be a smooth transition and additional income. Let me know your thoughts...

I like this idea a lot! Every little income stream matters and if you already have 101 triples on location, honor snack boxes on top of even half of those represents a nice little boost! One logistical issue I can think of is the boxes sitting free on top of the triple could cause headaches as they would easily topple off the machine. There should be a way one could velcro the bottom of the box to the top of the machine?

I like this idea a lot! Every little income stream matters and if you already have 101 triples on location, honor snack boxes on top of even half of those represents a nice little boost! One logistical issue I can think of is the boxes sitting free on top of the triple could cause headaches as they would easily topple off the machine. There should be a way one could velcro the bottom of the box to the top of the machine?

That is exactly what I was thinking...Velcro that bad boy right to the top. What size snack box would I use? I have some time to figure out the logistics as my main focus is to get the rest of my 1-800 triples out. I have maybe 5 locations that this wouldn't work because people put everything from Xbox 360's (yeah that's right) and TV rabbit ear antennas on top of my triples...like you said though, if I could get half and maybe half of those half I end up pulling because of theft. That is still 20+ boxes. Just a thought. What is the National Average for Honor Boxes? $20 per service per month? $40 per month?

Not sure what your asking but I know I'm probably in the minority when I say I will take snack boxes over bulk or full line vending. I made my best money in snack boxes and enjoyed the routes more.

Thanks for the input Dennis. I have 101 bulk vending triples on location... I was just wondering if anyone has tried to put an honor box on top of the bulk vending candy machines to maximize current locations revenue.

Specifically for this purpose, I think you need to stick with the smaller box from cameron that holds approx. 35-40 products

http://www.cameronpackaging.com/snackboxes.html

The big problem you're going to run into with these smaller boxes is that on at least a handful of your locs it could drastically shorten your service time. On average, you'll want to service these every 3-4 weeks anyway. But if you get 50 boxes out - 4 to 8 of them will require a re-stock every 2 weeks at least.

I'm just spitballing here, but something you might want to consider for those few locs where you're killing it is to weld a small metal stand about 2/3 of the way up the 1-800 stand and put one of these on it:

http://www.vending-business-information.com/honor-snack-boxes-25ea.html

They hold 80 products and could bring your hot locs back into that 4 week service routine. As far as what to expect, you need to keep your cog at .27-.34 and you can pretty much expect a 15%-20% shortage so just plan on that as the cost of doing business. I'd be shocked if you have to pull 50% of your boxes from theft because the markup is at least 300% here. You're staying in the black with anything below 40% theft and it's actually more rare than you would think to see it that high.

If you place 60 of those small cameron boxes I would venture a guess that the following averages apply:

You'll pull 6-7 because of theft.

You'll pull 3-4 because you're not moving enough product to bother.

You'll average 17-20 products missing each month with a 15-20% shortage, $15-$16 per loc and $10.85 of that being pure profit assuming $.30 cog. For 50 locations that's $540-ish more spendable income per month. Not too shabby for spending 5 more minutes servicing and tracking each of these locs every month.

Needless to say, if you end up doing this I'd be very interested in seeing your results.

Specifically for this purpose, I think you need to stick with the smaller box from cameron that holds approx. 35-40 products

http://www.cameronpa...snackboxes.html

The big problem you're going to run into with these smaller boxes is that on at least a handful of your locs it could drastically shorten your service time. On average, you'll want to service these every 3-4 weeks anyway. But if you get 50 boxes out - 4 to 8 of them will require a re-stock every 2 weeks at least.

I'm just spitballing here, but something you might want to consider for those few locs where you're killing it is to weld a small metal stand about 2/3 of the way up the 1-800 stand and put one of these on it:

http://www.vending-b...boxes-25ea.html

They hold 80 products and could bring your hot locs back into that 4 week service routine. As far as what to expect, you need to keep your cog at .27-.34 and you can pretty much expect a 15%-20% shortage so just plan on that as the cost of doing business. I'd be shocked if you have to pull 50% of your boxes from theft because the markup is at least 300% here. You're staying in the black with anything below 40% theft and it's actually more rare than you would think to see it that high.

If you place 60 of those small cameron boxes I would venture a guess that the following averages apply:

You'll pull 6-7 because of theft.

You'll pull 3-4 because you're not moving enough product to bother.

You'll average 17-20 products missing each month with a 15-20% shortage, $15-$16 per loc and $10.85 of that being pure profit assuming $.30 cog. For 50 locations that's $540-ish more spendable income per month. Not too shabby for spending 5 more minutes servicing and tracking each of these locs every month.

Needless to say, if you end up doing this I'd be very interested in seeing your results.

I will keep you posted Rick if I pull the trigger on this! Thanks! How many honor boxes do you have? (You can PM me if you prefer)

I have 22 boxes out and currently saving up my quarters. Scouring CL for deals on NW and 1-800 triples so I can start making the switch to bulk. That's why I'm particularly interested in this concept of yours is that once I start getting some 1-800's on location, that could be a clean transition to alternate locs for my 6-7 worst performing honor boxes. I'll post results if I get to it before you do (but I highly doubt that).

I'm still leary about honor boxing. Even with a charity sticker on it, I still get the feeling that I'd be getting hit with product theft. I know the average of 20$ should be expected, but when you consider that's one out of five, it still bothers me.

I'm still leary about honor boxing. Even with a charity sticker on it, I still get the feeling that I'd be getting hit with product theft. I know the average of 20$ should be expected, but when you consider that's one out of five, it still bothers me.

Oh, you don't have to "get a feeling" you'll be hit with pruduct theft...you WILL be hit with product theft. I just factor the theft into my expectations, that way I'm not disappointed. I mean, let's be completely honest here. You're paying 30 cents for an item, turning around and selling it for $1.00. A dollar for an item they could drive two miles down the road to the Walgreens and buy for 60- 75 cents. You've built the 20% theft into your prices. The reason you can charge a buck and people will still pay it is for the convenience of it - it's sitting right there as an impulse purchase. If you're a person who can't see past the fact that people are stealing from you to see the bigger picture of your net profit, then Honor Boxes are most definitely not for you.

I think if you look at the big picture, it can make sense. Of course you will need to weed out the locations with high theft. However, don't you need to weed out locations that don't perform anyway with other types of vending? As stated above, theft is simply a cost of doing business. I would consider it comparable to paying a location a commission. One obvious bonus is the vendor would not need to worry about vandalism, machines breaking down, and machine maintenence, as with full line soda/snack larger equipment. And of course the cost getting in is much less of an investment.

• 3 weeks later...

before I saw this I was thinking the same thing.

More toward penny candy or lollipops in a small donation box on top of my triples thinking I may grab some sales from people that may only have nickles and dimes in their pocket.

I started checking them out and to get them in acrylic they were $15 to $20 each before shipping. just small ones with a foot print of about 4" x 6"

maybe add miggie tootsie rolls or something like that.

then I found at a craft store with a little treasure chest box with a hinged top and slot for money made of wood. I then though about drilling holes in the top for lollipops and put a sticker on the front that says

.50 each or 3/$1.00, and put tootsie pops in it.

I think I am going to do a test run of 5 locations

I made it

the box itself came from ac moore craft store, coin slot already in it.

drilled some holes sprayed it white

wanted more pops so I cut a hunk of old plywood to hold a few more.

made up my own labels (i know a guy, haha)

• 5 months later...

Hey jake,

Did you ever pull the trigger on this?

I only ask because I recently bought a small route with the best stop being a Kenworth Trucking. The previous owner had two vendstars doing a combined $50/month. I think I'm gonna add a box and see how it does. Will post pics/results when I have them.

Hey jake,

Did you ever pull the trigger on this?

I only ask because I recently bought a small route with the best stop being a Kenworth Trucking. The previous owner had two vendstars doing a combined $50/month. I think I'm gonna add a box and see how it does. Will post pics/results when I have them.

No I didn't. I bought a ton more machines (1-800's) instead. Time to start locating... Let me know how it goes!

Archived