Question: Is it acceptable to bring your baby when you setup/service a route?

VenDana

I have not placed a machine yet (I bought 2 brand new Vendstars for $110 two days ago) and I've found a place with an abandoned triple. The issue I have is it's located about 70 minutes from my home and I wish to speak with the GM on my way out of town Tuesday ~ when I'll be driving right by it.

I also have an infant ~ 10 months old ~ who will be with me. I'll also be bringing a machine AND candy in case they say yes on the spot. I know there are a lot of men on here and I definitely want to hear what they have to say and also hear what some moms think about this.

Potential problems/questions that have crossed my mind:

1. It's 110 degrees and I can't exactly just park my baby and stroller inside while I walk back and forth to set everything up.

2. Do people think "Oh, she's trying to make ends meet, so let's give her a chance" or, "why the heck is she bringing her kid?"

3. There are no identifying marks, phone numbers, or anything else on the empty triple sitting there. Should I take it and hold it for a few months just in case someone claims it? It's in great shape and since I'm not too familiar with the machines yet, it looks like a 1 800 Vending with the evergreen color.

I REALLY appreciate feedback and any other suggestions or potential pitfalls for a mom getting into this biz. And I'm not going to cry if you are honest with me. I'm a big girl and one key ingredient to my success is with you all!

Cheers!

DanaVends

I have not placed a machine yet (I bought 2 brand new Vendstars for $110 two days ago) and I've found a place with an abandoned triple. The issue I have is it's located about 70 minutes from my home and I wish to speak with the GM on my way out of town Tuesday ~ when I'll be driving right by it.

I also have an infant ~ 10 months old ~ who will be with me. I'll also be bringing a machine AND candy in case they say yes on the spot. I know there are a lot of men on here and I definitely want to hear what they have to say and also hear what some moms think about this.

1. It's 110 degrees and I can't exactly just park my baby and stroller inside while I walk back and forth to set everything up.

2. Do people think "Oh, she's trying to make ends meet, so let's give her a chance" or, "why the heck is she bringing her kid?"

3. There are no identifying marks, phone numbers, or anything else on the empty triple sitting there. Should I take it and hold it for a few months just in case someone claims it? It's in great shape and since I'm not too familiar with the machines yet, it looks like a 1 800 Vending with the evergreen color.

I REALLY appreciate feedback and any other suggestions or potential pitfalls for a mom getting into this biz. And I'm not going to cry if you are honest with me. I'm a big girl and one key ingredient to my success is with you all!

Cheers!

DanaVends

It depends if you want to risk the baby getting into stuff. a bored baby can find things to get into. my sure your insurance will cover them too. if it gets hurt on location they might sue you.

you cant really do anything with a abandoned machine. if it's clearly abandoned the location has to try to find the owner. but, you can ask them to put it out of sight thou. you dont want a empty or filled with faded or rotten product machine next to yours. neither you or the location will make money.

Maybe you could try the "I'm trying to feed my baby" schtick, but really bringing a baby while trying to locate looks unprofessional, and they will have a harder time taking you seriously.

I would even be reluctant to service with a baby, but that you could more easily get away with. But not on a "sales" call.

And the machine will fall under abandoned property laws, if it has actually been abandoned. I wouldn't touch it myself, and the location is really the one who should deal with it.

Abandoned machines are a VERY sticky subject. Oftentimes they are either property of the business (or immediate family) which can get sticky if you go in with a "let me take that junk off your hand's sir" approach. I have asked about abandoned machines before, and it was all discussed HERE. My conclusion was that the risks of taking property that I did not own, and that I could be painted as a thief under the right attorney wasn't worth it. The gamble didn't make sense to me, so I didn't pursue it.

As to leaving a baby unattended in a car, laws vary, but I cannot imagine anything good would come of that either. With states adopting thing's like "Kaitlyn's Law" across the nation, a hefty fine might actually be the least of your troubles if you were reported to the right people.

I'd advise against this move, it's risky on two fronts, and the only way to minimize one is to look unprofessional. This is of course only my opinion, but I can't see anything good coming of this.

Thank you all, this is what I was looking for.

FrCorey ~ hadn't thought of baby getting injured or potentially getting into things. She gets strapped into everything pretty good but those little one can be tricky! Okay, yeah wouldn't want the empty next to mine.

The Mage ~ Yes, I figured my credibility wouldn't look so great if I brought a baby on a hip during the sales call. :) So that's 2 votes for "don't even think about touching the machine".

PerformaVending ~ I'm in agreement, the gamble is NOT worth it. I'm a straight forward and honest person and I read your link, thank you, and I'll let the owner deal with it. I probably wouldn't leave the baby in the car. I was thinking about pushing baby with one hand and pulling everything else from behind but that could just get messy. Baby is going to get the boot! ;)

Thank you all ~ my questions were answered!

Thank you all, this is what I was looking for.

FrCorey ~ hadn't thought of baby getting injured or potentially getting into things. She gets strapped into everything pretty good but those little one can be tricky! Okay, yeah wouldn't want the empty next to mine.

The Mage ~ Yes, I figured my credibility wouldn't look so great if I brought a baby on a hip during the sales call. :) So that's 2 votes for "don't even think about touching the machine".

PerformaVending ~ I'm in agreement, the gamble is NOT worth it. I'm a straight forward and honest person and I read your link, thank you, and I'll let the owner deal with it. I probably wouldn't leave the baby in the car. I was thinking about pushing baby with one hand and pulling everything else from behind but that could just get messy. Baby is going to get the boot! ;)

Thank you all ~ my questions were answered!

That's what we're here for. Glad I could help!

Having your baby with you on a service/install call would be to many distractions for both you and the location, the risk is not worth the reward.

It's best to always leave "abandoned" machines alone, back to the risk vs reward.

I take my 2 year old son with me when I service my machines sometimes, but a 10 month old just demands too much attention. They usually can't walk at that age (which means you have to carry your supplies, tools,etc. plus carry the baby) and if they get fussy it can be a very unpleasant experience. I also wouldn't recommend it when pitching to potential locations. It's hard enough to get the attention of a location's owner/manager without a screaming baby.

Talking to another persons machine could get you committed! :lol:

Talking to your own might too. That's why I only talk to mine in private. Lol!!!

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Cheers!

DanaVends

Well...let me speak to another side of the taking your baby with you. I take my 1 1/2 year old with me lots when I service machines. I even take all three of my children with me sometimes. They are the reason I'm in the business.

I did get a location once while holding my youngest so if it's the only time you have to do...go for it. What's the worst that could happen? Some may say no because if the baby. Some might say yes because of the baby. Maybe it'll even out.

I do, however, have a couple of bars that I don't take the kids to but that's mostly because of the smoke. I also have a place with lot of heavy machinery where I wouldn't take the kids, other than that thought I say go for it.

Hope this helps!!!

Good luck with your new vending venture! I couldn't take a baby with me because I'm not super at the multi-tasking that would be required (and yes, I am a woman..). Just dealing with the car seat, strapping the baby in/out, etc and hauling candy and machines around would be really challenging for me. I admire your willingness to consider it and your positive attitude. I'm a new vender myself and am learning that there's a lot more to it than people think. God bless! Keep us posted on how things go for you. BTW, Tom is my husband; I accidentally used his account instead of mine..:(

I have 2 children of my own that I will sometimes take to service a location. I have not taken them to a setup and probably won't because my focus is getting it setup quickly. Since I don't locate myself, I can't speak too much on that. I do have a question. Is there a profitable reason that you are planning to place a Vendstar 70 minutes from your house? I don't see how you could pay for gas to and from with the revenue from that machine unless you know it will be a prime location. Just a question though.

Cheers!

DanaVends

I would not take a baby. I started taking my girls when they were about 5 or 6. But only on small local trips.

I have 2 children of my own that I will sometimes take to service a location. I have not taken them to a setup and probably won't because my focus is getting it setup quickly. Since I don't locate myself, I can't speak too much on that. I do have a question. Is there a profitable reason that you are planning to place a Vendstar 70 minutes from your house? I don't see how you could pay for gas to and from with the revenue from that machine unless you know it will be a prime location. Just a question though.

From a business perspective its not recommended, you are there to conduct business.

Though, I do think that most or all of us have brought a kid along at some point. With my full line work I occasionally bring my youngest kid along but it wasn't until she was 10 and could actually be of some limited help.

BTW, Tom is my husband; I accidentally used his account instead of mine..:(

Whew! I was reading that post and thought to myself, "wait a minute. Tom's a WOMAN?" :blink:

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Actually while I think it doesn't look good to bring a baby to locate, I do think it can look good to bring children, if they are helping, and acting properly. Then it looks like a family business, and people do respect that. But I wouldn't bring a child if I expect to have to yell at them, or they tend to act uncontrolled.

Archived