am i over doing it?

TKK

I'm now doing vending as my full time business and its making me more than my last full time job well its gonna make me more cuz I more than doubled my route. And went full line. I have a gti with over 10k in upgrades and a lifted 07 frontier with like 6k in upgrades. The machines servicing placing etc have been wearing and tearing them. Scratched my frontier last week w a triple. Anyways I had been looking around for a small 4cyl SUV. Today I bought a 97 ford ranger 4cyl single cab stepside automatic with a big tool box and all. For 2k. Clean title one owner. I'm thinking I'm gonna save a ton in gas cuz my frontier is getting 11-12mpg. City. This shows 21. Did I over do it? Was thinking of putting my logo decals and all

Who else has bought a service vehicle

How big is ur route?

My route is made up of about 20 bulk units- not nearly enough to need anything special right now.

I've been told the best vehicle for this profession is the Dodge Sprinter (or a comparable van) with the lift gates for your heavy setups- but I'd imagine you'd need a pretty big route to warrant something like that.

I'm now doing vending as my full time business and its making me more than my last full time job well its gonna make me more cuz I more than doubled my route. And went full line. I have a gti with over 10k in upgrades and a lifted 07 frontier with like 6k in upgrades. The machines servicing placing etc have been wearing and tearing them. Scratched my frontier last week w a triple. Anyways I had been looking around for a small 4cyl SUV. Today I bought a 97 ford ranger 4cyl single cab stepside automatic with a big tool box and all. For 2k. Clean title one owner. I'm thinking I'm gonna save a ton in gas cuz my frontier is getting 11-12mpg. City. This shows 21. Did I over do it? Was thinking of putting my logo decals and all

Who else has bought a service vehicle

watch the decals on the side check your DOT rules..

you may have to go thru dot inspections etc..

even though your not hauling over 10,000 lbs the logos on the side might be in your dot rules as a business truck and you need dot certs.. flares.. logbook etc.

bill

i know when i haul my truck and trailer here (no logos) if i go over 10,000 i have to be carefull not to get pulled over by weights and measures

hopefully my this is for my man -cave excuse will work

bill

Hmm I don't think I'd need dot stuff because its a small truck not a huge trailer ill ask the owner as he had tons of decals on it. I've heard the sprinter is good too but that's too big for me. I have about 50 bulk and 10 full line machines. I can run the route fast. The bulk I do about 10 locations twice a month and the rest once. The full line some places twice a week. So no biggie. I'm also probably not gonna expand for a while. Ha yea right I just bought 2 more coke machines and 10 bulk. I just keep finding good deals on new triples. My goal I'd say would be 20 coke can and snack machines and 60 or 70 bulk. I'll beaking good income and working twice a week or so

f150 w/1 ton tommy lift , not the best gas mileage but it can easily haul just about anything . to move

2 or more drink machines at once you need something a little beefier tho.

other downside is having to chain down the bins and coolers when i go inside a location

to service

Hmm I don't think I'd need dot stuff because its a small truck not a huge trailer ill ask the owner as he had tons of decals on it.

Don't ask the previous owner...what he/she tells you may be completely wrong and you will be on the hook if there are problems later, not them.

Go straight to the source...your area DOT.

Also -- check with your insurance.

If you have coverage on the new truck on the same policy as your personal vehicles you probably aren't covered if/when stuff hits the fan.

If your vehicle is a business vehicle first and foremost, many personal auto policies will exclude it.

And it's not something you want to find out AFTER you have a loss.

It's especially hard to claim the vehicle as a "personal-use" vehicle during a loss if you've got your business info tagged on it.

I like the Trailer Idea although you could get hit with DOT on that also, Although if your pulling it with a car your less likely to have that happen. I have a Friend that lives In a small town 60 miles or so out of Omaha and he has gotten a couple of tickets when he worked In Omaha for not having his trailer registered with the DOT. Even more so if You cross state lines. When I ran the Sandwich route one truck was licensed in Iowa where the Driver lived and the Company was In Nebraska. Loaded In Nebraska owner got a big fine for that one. Just so you know anything can happen.

I've got a 2012 MB Sprinter 170 extended that I use for my driving job. book It works out really good for me. I can fit many machines I their. For example, this past weekend I picked up 17 shootin hoops machines and had over half of the cargo space left over. Fuel mileage was 23 mpg highway.

I really wanted a tracker or rav 4 or CRV but hard to find at that price. The ranger has a huge tool box on the side of the bed so I can fit ally bulk candy there I'm thinking putting bags of water in the freezer and put the candy bags in a bigger bag and just put the bags of hard ice around them and I could run ally bulk locations in a day or two. I should save 1500+ a year in gas plus I dont use my cars. Plus I'm sure in a year or two I'd still get 2k for it. Now to install big machines I do have 2 trailers I use for my wquads and my bigger truck.

I use my 1996 Honda Civic for the route. I can fit 6 triples in it when I locate. When I service I can fit 4 Igloo ice chests.

This was helpful. I'd prefer NOT to buy a service vehicle at this point. I now have roughly 220 locations and I'm just starting out so I was wondering how to "service" them with my '95 civic! Now I know...

Bulkjake, what size are your ice chests? The 60 quart?

Archived