Machine color debate

PerformaVending

I'm at a crossroads in my business- later this summer I plan to expand my business with a more standardized line of machines. Though my used machines will still vary, if I go with a standard for my gumball singles and 2" cap machines, I'd like to settle on a universal color scheme for practical reasons. I'm just wondering if there are any benefits for going with a different color other than the usual stock red. I like the look of black machines, and bright colors stand out very well, but I'm not sure what makes the most 'business' sense. For anyone using a standardized color, what were the factors that led you to settle on that color scheme?

At this time I haven't settled on a manufacturer for any standardization steps, but when I do it will be one of these: Oak, Eagle, or A&A.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Performa, I to thought about standardizing colors. Although I'm just getting my feet wet in this business I really don't know what the benefits would be just quite yet. Maybe for swapping out body parts here and there? I don't know.

I have a few friends that own Tattoo shops, barber shops, vintage clothing stores were I plan on putting machines. In those places a yellow or green machine would not look right. A black or red machine would look perfect. I almost feel like certain places require certain color machines. I know that may not be practical when running a huge route, but that's the direction I would like to try going. I feel if you start buying one brand of machinery, but different colors. Why the hell not. At least it's the same brand, you can still swap parts.

Im sure somebody will chime in soon giving a thousand reasons why you should buy the same color machines and basically making everything I just said pointless. What can I say, I'm the new guy who doesn't know much yet. But I'm trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From a design standpoint colors mean different things, reds. oranges and yellows all stimulate hunger, thats why McDonalds, Burger King, Waffle House, Hardees/Carl's Jr., etc... all have the color schemes they do. So they make sense if your selling gum/candy/nuts.

Blues and greens tend to lend calming and comforting effects, look at hospital design as a general rule.

Then you have the personal choice effect in why we choose what we choose and then there are marketing considerations as well. I personally am moving towards a darker color style for a few reasons; I like the color, It can be used in either a fun kids setting or a very professional setting like an office and it really offsets the colors in the products, making them "pop" more and, in my mind, it will hopefully bring more kids and quarters.

I use red because thats what color all my machines were when I bought my route, I dont think it matters much what color you use as long as you stick to one color. Having one color makes it easy to interchange parts, and believe me you will be interchanging parts. If you keep your machine brands to a minimum it also helps when interchanging parts, and you dont want a bunch of different keys. I run bulk machines, tattoo machines, sporty balls, shootin hoops, cranes and a wowie zowie. I basically have 2 keys because one is for bulk and the other is a camlock style lock. It took a while to get them all converted to the same key but now my key ring is a lot lighter. Next I will work on standardizing my padlocks, my key ring for them looks like a janitors key ring.

Performa, I to thought about standardizing colors. Although I'm just getting my feet wet in this business I really don't know what the benefits would be just quite yet. Maybe for swapping out body parts here and there? I don't know.

I have a few friends that own Tattoo shops, barber shops, vintage clothing stores were I plan on putting machines. In those places a yellow or green machine would not look right. A black or red machine would look perfect. I almost feel like certain places require certain color machines. I know that may not be practical when running a huge route, but that's the direction I would like to try going. I feel if you start buying one brand of machinery, but different colors. Why the hell not. At least it's the same brand, you can still swap parts.

Im sure somebody will chime in soon giving a thousand reasons why you should buy the same color machines and basically making everything I just said pointless. What can I say, I'm the new guy who doesn't know much yet. But I'm trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree- machines with certain colors fit better in certain places. For those I'm sure I'll still be hunting down more appropriate colors. I'm just trying to figure out what the best path will be when I go to get new machines as a standard- especially since I'll have a choice in the matter. You've got some good points, thanks for the advice JD.

Thanks again everyone for your help- I'll study some back posts on the matter, and probably bring this up again when I'm closer to actually doing something with the information. Again, thank you everyone!

there was one guy who painted all of his machines Orange.. so everyone would know they were his

and if one got stolen it could be found etc..

i forget the logic behind this but i have not kept up with that story in years

i like yellows, blues, reds, and the gold trim ones for higher locations

Blue and white here I like to stand out. We have some red mixed in from buying out others. Only two keys here also dimple for bulk and pad locks and cam for stickers, cranes, chickens

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I use red because thats what color all my machines were when I bought my route, I dont think it matters much what color you use as long as you stick to one color. Having one color makes it easy to interchange parts, and believe me you will be interchanging parts. If you keep your machine brands to a minimum it also helps when interchanging parts, and you dont want a bunch of different keys. I run bulk machines, tattoo machines, sporty balls, shootin hoops, cranes and a wowie zowie. I basically have 2 keys because one is for bulk and the other is a camlock style lock. It took a while to get them all converted to the same key but now my key ring is a lot lighter. Next I will work on standardizing my padlocks, my key ring for them looks like a janitors key ring.

As I am just starting out I know that keeping keys standard is a good thing. I did apartment maintenance for many years and when you deal with 200-600 units at a property you have to keep things standardized or things suck and you never have what you need.

Any locksmith or you could try a company like Wilmar (apartment Maintenance Supply Co) do a web search and see if you can get multiples of locks keyed the same. I know for the School district I work for In my Real job as my parents call it. We have 3 different keyed padlocks. If you know how many you need you can probably work out a deal for a large lot of them and make your life 100 times easier then searching though the horde of keys you need to carry.

Your on the right track there Performa Keeping things standard with equipment is a good thing. Makes the helps cut down on the extra supplies you need to carry as your route grows. Keeps your keys standardized so you don't have to fumble though a huge bunch at a stop. I know I have a few sets of vendstar locks and keys I need to dump I have been keying mine all alike and makes it a lot easier to run the route that way. It was nice to just need the two keys for all the machines I had to run on Friday and Saturday.

I'm at a crossroads in my business- later this summer I plan to expand my business with a more standardized line of machines. Though my used machines will still vary, if I go with a standard for my gumball singles and 2" cap machines, I'd like to settle on a universal color scheme for practical reasons. I'm just wondering if there are any benefits for going with a different color other than the usual stock red. I like the look of black machines, and bright colors stand out very well, but I'm not sure what makes the most 'business' sense. For anyone using a standardized color, what were the factors that led you to settle on that color scheme?

At this time I haven't settled on a manufacturer for any standardization steps, but when I do it will be one of these: Oak, Eagle, or A&A.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Standard machines I vote Yes. Colors I think it is ok to vary a little bit. It depends on a area or room they place you if it is a guy or a gal. Most guys don't care about color just let me know what is inside of it Women it is all about the Color and how well it matches it's surroundings. With standard equipment your parts inventory will be greatly reduced and you have a less likely risk of not having the part you need.

I recently went through this same process and I've standardized on the A & A pm supreme black with chrome top and black stand. I think the black allows gumballs to really pop. Also I figure touch ups later on will be easier with black paint rather than trying to match a color.

Archived