Removing a Northern Beaver front lock

Rick Falcon

Little help guys I have been going at this all day I never imagined what a pain in the golpher it woul be to remove the front lock on a northern beaver,never again would I buy a used Northern Beaver with a lock thats not mine on it I rather par regular price than go thru all this trouble.

Little help guys I have been going at this all day I never imagined what a pain in the golpher it woul be to remove the front lock on a northern beaver,never again would I buy a used Northern Beaver with a lock thats not mine on it I rather par regular price than go thru all this trouble.

dont they use a regular vending machine tubular lock?

those are really good locks. and you need special things to drill them.

they have hardened parts in them. if you dont know what you are doing you will eat up drill bits.

Case hardened locks borrow a Drill doctor if you can get the Titanium coated drill bits and take ti easy if you can get some Mistic Metal remover welding shop should carry it. It will also help spray a little of it on the bit and the lock as you drill it out I have used it and it works wonders Most weld shops will have it or something like it. when It stops cutting sharpen it again the go back to drilling again. expect to use at least 2 good drill bits to get it open.

If you are removing the lock but keeping the panel on, it is not that difficult with the right tools. A wrench with a 7/16 socket for the nut that holds the latch and then you need a socket for the screw attatching the lock to the panel. Off the top of my head I'[m not certain of the size. 7/8th maybe?

Remove the lid, then the four bolts on the top then remove the glass, then the stop bushing , then the agitator , then the large plate has two bolts remove them, then there are four more bolts remove them and lift up on the plate where the 2"capsule wheel is that will loosen the panel and pull it out. After that used pliers to remove the washer, the bold, the rubber washer and you should be good to go.

Remove the lid, then the four bolts on the top then remove the glass, then the stop bushing , then the agitator , then the large plate has two bolts remove them, then there are four more bolts remove them and lift up on the plate where the 2"capsule wheel is that will loosen the panel and pull it out. After that used pliers to remove the washer, the bold, the rubber washer and you should be good to go.

Thanks onecent I'm going to give it a shot just wondering if you need some special tool to remove the two screws right above from where the decal go's

looks like it could be an alan key?

Thanks onecent I'm going to give it a shot just wondering if you need some special tool to remove the two screws right above from where the decal go's

looks like it could be an alan key?

You can buy a screwdriver with a square tip. If you are going to run beavers, it's a must. They use this screw on the mechs too

Archived