drilling tube locks?

dogcow

any tips on this? i have to drill 3 or 4 of them, what type of bits should i use and should they be drilled dead on or a little above, im trying to avoid wrecking the t-handle.

thanks

If you are drilling cheap factory type locks then I'd go with dead on or slightly above. 3/ 8 ought to do it. If they are hardened locks then do the T handle unless you want to drill all day and ruin a bunch of drill bits.

any tips on this? i have to drill 3 or 4 of them, what type of bits should i use and should they be drilled dead on or a little above, im trying to avoid wrecking the t-handle.

thanks

I use dewalt drill bits right in the center I start with 7/32 and work up to 5/16 or 3/8 depending on how easy it is.

John

1 - whats a puch?

2 - it appears to be hardened, there were some pins in there facing out that keep chewing up

the bits,. any suggestions? i went thru a full set of masonry bits and step bits how long

should drilling take? im just not sure at what point im wasting my time, i was unable to get

the lock out after about 20mins of drilling stepping up sizes

1. I think he meant punch.

The last time I drilled a hardened lock it took all day and I ruined about 60 bucks worth of bits. If it was me I'd trash the T handles. It'll be faster, probably cheaper and guaranteed a whole lot less aggravating.

12 o' clock position just above the lock, slight downward direction. You are aiming for the locking pin, once you cut through the tube that the lock is in and cut or shear the locking pin off it'll pop right out. Use a smaller bit 1/4 or 5/16, if you don't hit the pin then it will be at the 6 o'clock position.

I should mention the tube lock has a regular keyhole not a circular one

Also when drilling the lock how do you know when its done? Should it just pop out or do I have to turn it with a screwdriver or what.

How deep does it need to go? Basically I'm just not 100% sure I'm doing this right. The t handle is on a game machine so I'm leery of wrecking it I don't know if a standard soda machine one can replace it.

I should mention the tube lock has a regular keyhole not a circular one

Also when drilling the lock how do you know when its done? Should it just pop out or do I have to turn it with a screwdriver or what.

How deep does it need to go? Basically I'm just not 100% sure I'm doing this right. The t handle is on a game machine so I'm leery of wrecking it I don't know if a standard soda machine one can replace it.

The type of key shouldn't matter. If it's a standard soda machine type lock then you need to go in 1 1/4- 1 1/2 inches. It might just pop out or you might need to pull it out.

I have no idea about the question about it matching a standard soda machine lock. Maybe contact the original manufacturer? That does present a issue, I can understand your concern about drilling the T handle now.

The type of key shouldn't matter. If it's a standard soda machine type lock then you need to go in 1 1/4- 1 1/2 inches. It might just pop out or you might need to pull it out.

I have no idea about the question about it matching a standard soda machine lock. Maybe contact the original manufacturer? That does present a issue, I can understand your concern about drilling the T handle now.

I had to drill one of those locks, and I can tell you yhey're not fun.They have 2 steel pins on each side of the keyhole.You have to get them out of the way.Have fun.

John

Thx I drilled it for a few hrs could not get more than 1/4in in

Broke a ton of bits its def hardened I'm gonna call tomorrow and see about a replacement t handle if thdey carrry them ill just drill it, thx

They have 2 steel pins on each side of the keyhole.You have to get them out of the way

yes!!!! thats exactly it! i knew when i saw those i was in trouble, i drilled and drilled and nothing ...

at least i know im not doing it wrong.

thanks

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the info I have eight machines that has locks on them, Vendos and Dixie Norcos all came out of the storage units I bought and still use able for the area I'm located in. I have spots for four of them now just need to cut locks and clean and fix anything that needs fixing.

Thanks Mike

Hey Cajun,

If you have the kind of locks where the key is round (instead of straight blade - like a house key) it's pretty easy to drill them out - I just did one last week in 10 minutes. Look closely inside the round circle where the key inserts and you'll see the ends of the 7 pins. It takes a very small bit to fit in there but you just drill those pins (straight on) until the T handle pops out. I think I only had to drill 5 of them when I did it. You might want to have a couple extra bits on hand but you can do it with a small cordless drill.

If you've got the straight bladed locks I'd call a locksmith since you can't get the door open to yank the T handle.

Good Luck

HI,

I think I saw something about masonry bits above.....do NOT use masonry bits when trying to drill out a steel lock.

The other big thing is using a GOOD bit.....I bought a cheap drill bit set from Tractor Supply and tried to drill one out.....Barely made any progress....

Went to Lowes and got a good Cobalt drill bit and it was a world of difference.....definitely spend the bucks on a good bit (well actually several since I drilled in steps).

I tried to lube with oil to keep the bit from getting hot (that was a friends suggestion) BUT DON"T do that....The oil did reduce friction BUT also basically stopped the cutting action...Later I learned that there are special fluids for cooling purposes and it ISN'T oil per se......Live and learn I guess.

I find that a high powered 1/2" drill works better for me than a 3/8" drill...better torque at slower speeds....Pretty much rule out battery powered drills and use a corded one (I tried cordless for convenience but not enough battery life to get it done).

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

PS - I can';t recall how much time it took me to drill one out....It felt like hours (it was hot in the storage unit and I had to be somewhere) but in actuallity it was probably more like 30 to 40 minutes (I ran several bits to try to not over heat them so I had to take tine to swap out bits).

Thanks moondog!

I will try that, I was trying to actually pick one of the locks but could only get two of the pins to stay down. So I gave up on that. I will just have to buy some good colbalt drills and try like you said!

Mike

Archived