BIG DEAL

PerformaVending

On Monday, I may have the biggest chance of my vending career. Here is the situation-

The largest grocery store in town has a large victor machine. The store took over after the former vendor left it there. It's in bad shape, but enormous. I have offered on various occasions to add my machines next to it, buy the machine, take over the spot, etc, but until now I haven't had any success. Now I have a meeting with the store owner- so I've got one shot to win it big and take over this A+ spot.

I'd like to take over the spot- I expect they'll want me to take the machine, and I'm fine with that- I'll buy it if I get the spot. The space would allow for a 9 way easily, so the configurations are endless. The benefits for me are clear, but I'm not sure how best to pitch this to the store owner.

I want to go in, and explain that I can make him more money and he doesn't have to do anything. I'm shooting for a lower commission if I can get it, but I can go up to 30% and work with it.

My script for this one is as follows:

"Hello sir, I'm Alex with the Performa Vending company, and I have a proposition that will both save you time and money, and make you more money at the same time!"

"As a vending operator, I can easily increase the revenue at your business, with no effort on your part."

"I would like to place one of my small, professional vending units into your business, and we can see how well it works out for us. I promise you will make more money with my help than with your existing equipment, and it requires nothing of you."

"If you wish, I am willing to purchase your old vending machine, and I will provide you with a percentage of the profits. This will take this large machine off of your hands, and your staff will never have to bother with it again."

etc... it's still a work in progress.

Any and all help, guidance, suggestions are greatly appreciated- this is my first "super" account, and I don't want to miss it because I said the wrong thing. Thank you all so much for your help in this matter!

Nice! Good luck with landing it, sounds like you have a solid plan to me!

Is it normal operating procedure to go straight for a commission? Seems to me like these big grocery chains wouldn't care much about a few extra bucks (i know it's more but comparing to their normal income) a month. If you proposed a lower charity donation % then I would think (totally guessing) that they would like that more because you know its all about the politics to these store directors and they can say "our store helps "so and so" people".... Just wondering

I wouldn't promise him that he will make more money because if he is the one putting product in the machine and taking money out now, then he may feel degraded by your statement. I think your chances will be better if you use willvend's advice and ask what you can do to earn his business.

Key words I would Like to team up with you and increase your bottom line . with One of my vending systems. I will offer a generous commission off of it for the ability to locate it in your store. I will service it on a monthly basis So how can I help you be more successful. The main thing is your there to help Him. Not there for you.

we are a Service based Industry so Service has to be at the top How you can help him be a winner is the biggest thing. You want to make him feel like he won the lottery when you leave. Show him your mall rack setup Say if you wish check it out it is at (location Here)

I wouldn't even mention the old equipment. Unless he dose or if it is there when you show up with yours ask If he would like you to get rid of it. then offer to remove it.

It is a little like poker keep your cards close. smile and don't let anyone know what your hand is.

Actually you will get the account if the guy likes you and you make sense. Stress: no cost to you ever, we make repair calls, we service often, we keep it clean, you will make free money, thats right free money, you do no work etc etc.

Its a plus if you shop there too. When I first started out I would do my usual shopping then stop by the service desk and ask for the owner, wait by my cart of groceries, when he comes up say, I have been coming here for years, glad to see the changes you are making the place looks great, hey, I have a small vending busines I do,(bs bs) I am in here all the time so I will always be on top of things can I bring my equipment in? And don't give up ever.

Nice! Good luck with landing it, sounds like you have a solid plan to me!

Is it normal operating procedure to go straight for a commission? Seems to me like these big grocery chains wouldn't care much about a few extra bucks (i know it's more but comparing to their normal income) a month. If you proposed a lower charity donation % then I would think (totally guessing) that they would like that more because you know its all about the politics to these store directors and they can say "our store helps "so and so" people".... Just wondering

Exactly. Never give a man a Clydesdale when all he's looking for is a nag. If this location is truly as ripe for the picking as it sounds Performa, then it stands to reason that you got this meeting with the owner because he has a problem he's looking for you to solve. Figure out what it is and solve it. The majority of your pitch looks like you're throwing all of your cards on the table 30 seconds into the meeting.

For what it's worth, I'd take a softer approach and start the meeting by asking questions and find out where the store owner stands.

"Can you talk to me a little bit about your current vending set-up?"

"Are you satisfied with how things are going?"

"Do you have any thoughts on toys or products you'd like me to offer?"

Who knows man, maybe this store owner is just overwhelmed and doesn't even care about a commission. Maybe "solving the problem" is you being willing to take over the show so he doesn't have to think about it anymore. Give him a chance to walk through that door before you offer as much as you're willing to give.

Excellent suggestions everyone- thank you! I'm excited to finally get to talk to the real decision maker, because I've been dealing with his underlings for a long time.

I think I'll change it up some to make it seem less "forced" and keep some of my "cards" should I need them. I just don't want to sound like I'm selling him something- that gets me shut down every time.

Again, thank you all so much. I've got two days to work out my master plan- I'll put all this information to good use!

Thank you all so much!

Just got back- GOT IT! The owner was so-so about most of the pitch, but I got him with Will.Vend's "What can I do to earn your business" bit! That settled it, he explained that I'd have to "work out the details with the manager" but he gave me a date: August 7th. The one stipulation is that I'll have to buy and remove their existing gumball machine, a Victor Junior Giant, but that shouldn't be hard. I've got to get my rack put back together!

I cannot thank you all enough, this has been an awesome day! Thank you all so much!

That's great news! Make sure you post the revenue on it! How much do u have to buy the gb machine for

Not sure. I'm betting $100+, but we'll see. If I have to buy it, I'll put that against a higher commission. I don't know what I'll do with the thing, it's functional but huge.

Archived