DREAM location

JCS Vending

My husband's cousin tells me the other day the hospital she works at (a home for the mentally ill) has candy machines in there that need to be filled TWICE PER DAY. She said she was thinking about buying some machines and putting them in there herself but she didn't seem too on fire about making that happen. She knows I just started my own business and I was thinking of asking her if she'd let my machines in there and offer her a large commission 40% (My husband wants to give her 50%!). This place is only about 10-12 minutes away so for that large of a commission I could leave the candy with her and ask her to refill as needed and drive there once a week.

Can you imagine - refilling twice a day?

If she has the key to refill she has the key to the money. Just saying don't place temptation and you don't have to worry. If they really go through that much invest in some of the big 2" cap machines and convert to candy. Still service weekly but keep the key. Also I'd start with 25%, give yourself room to go up if she haggles. Candy cog are high anyway, save your profits where you can.

If she has the key to refill she has the key to the money. Just saying don't place temptation and you don't have to worry. If they really go through that much invest in some of the big 2" cap machines and convert to candy. Still service weekly but keep the key. Also I'd start with 25%, give yourself room to go up if she haggles. Candy cog are high anyway, save your profits where you can.

This is a great idea thank you! I'm not worried about the money, I trust her completely. She's one of the most honest people I've ever met. BUT I do like the idea of converting a 2" cap machine to candy and fill myself to save paying her so much.

I would get a machine that has separate keys for the top/money box. Vendstar is the cheapest with this option. For that sort of use, I'd recommended a metal triple, say a Route Master, RoutePro, or Seaga TV3000 which will hold up very well under that sort of use. I'd say if it's that good get a Norhwestern Triple Play, but it's got one-key operation.

If you go with a cabinet machine for your candy (which is a great idea) I recommend the Northwestern 80, or the A&A 2001 (pretty much the same machine).

If you find that you need 25 cent Northwestern 80 Mechs, I've got some around here somewhere. PM me if you're interested.

Good luck!

I understand you trust your husband's cousin.

That's helpful.

But, should anything happen that resulted in a shortage of funds in your machine, it would be hard not to at least suspect her of theft.

Why chance it?

Give her access to the candy without giving her access to the money by using one of the machines mentioned above.

A vendesign is also an option for this location.

The quarters go into a locked tube/canister.

The key used to fill the candy bins is not the same one used for the canister.

Giving your husband's cousin the key used to fill candy would let her do her servicing for you, but would not give her access the money.

Then you could pull the canister and pay your commission when you service.

This way any shortage would not result in hard feelings (justified or otherwise).

I have a few vendesigns on location through a route I bought a while back.

They are not as bad as I had feared they would be.

The Vendesigns aren't my favorite machines on my route, but they are relatively durable, pretty dependable, and not high-maintenance.

Most importantly, they would fill the needs for this location by keeping the money and candy access separate.

Archived