The CD, Has its Time Come?

mission vending

MP3 players can last for longer battery life with simpler recharge and a huge selection -- you can get one for under 25 bucks. Who needs a portable CD player? If you are buying CDs for it, you'd be much better off in the first year of buying an mp3 player.

The only purpose I see left is using them in cars where it is too expensive to upgrade the system.

MP3 players can last for longer battery life with simpler recharge and a huge selection -- you can get one for under 25 bucks. Who needs a portable CD player? If you are buying CDs for it, you'd be much better off in the first year of buying an mp3 player.

The only purpose I see left is using them in cars where it is too expensive to upgrade the system.

I've got a Chrysler from 1999 with a cool 6-disk changer. I can't justify upgrading the system in a car this old so I get CD's. Good thing all the music I like is terrible and affordable! :rolleyes:

I've got a Chrysler from 1999 with a cool 6-disk changer. I can't justify upgrading the system in a car this old so I get CD's. Good thing all the music I like is terrible and affordable! :rolleyes:

I think it days are numbered for sure.

When I buy CD's - the 1st thing I do is burn a copy of it and use the copy in my players, car etc and upload it to my MP3 player.

Reason I use the copies is becuase of the heat etc in the car, if it get damaged I still have my master CD.

We are in the middle of a big technological shift right now. I remember when VHS and Beta came out, and were fighting for the top spot.

I barely remember one store selling 8 track tapes.

I remember the demise of the cassette tape, and yes the CD is now on it's way out.

The first time you hear a song you like, you can put your phone to the radio, and it will figure out what the song is, and then you can buy it, and own it before the song is even over.

I know I am done buying CD's myself.

We still are buying Blu-Ray disks though, but that is only a matter of time. If you can buy a movie from Amazon, they host it on their servers. You don't even need extra storage.

My goal at one time was to have my own library in my home. Now I'm building it on my tablet instead. I do not plan on buying a new book in dead tree format ever again, though I may still buy used books that way.

In April 2011, I decided to sort though all my CD's and chucked about 70 of them. But found a pawn shop that would take them all for 50 cents each and was happy with my $35 bucks. I kept another 20 to listen to at a later date to decide if I wanted to keep them. Well I finally got around to it last week. Visited 2 used CD stores and they would only buy a few of them. Went back to the pawn shop and they will no longer buy used CD's any more. So I just set them on top of a Red Box at a 7-11 and waved good-bye!

Funny how the CD will meet the same fate as the 8-track and cassettes that I used to listen too! And for you "youngsters" out there, there will come a day when a younger generation will make fun of you for still listening to CD's! The more things change....

And one more unusual thing... This one used CD place I visited was also selling used LP's (records)! And they were also selling turn tables (record players)! The owner had about 10 of these relics and told me that the teens were actually buying them and they thought they were cool. Pretty weird stuff!

In April 2011, I decided to sort though all my CD's and chucked about 70 of them. But found a pawn shop that would take them all for 50 cents each and was happy with my $35 bucks. I kept another 20 to listen to at a later date to decide if I wanted to keep them. Well I finally got around to it last week. Visited 2 used CD stores and they would only buy a few of them. Went back to the pawn shop and they will no longer buy used CD's any more. So I just set them on top of a Red Box at a 7-11 and waved good-bye!

Funny how the CD will meet the same fate as the 8-track and cassettes that I used to listen too! And for you "youngsters" out there, there will come a day when a younger generation will make fun of you for still listening to CD's! The more things change....

And one more unusual thing... This one used CD place I visited was also selling used LP's (records)! And they were also selling turn tables (record players)! The owner had about 10 of these relics and told me that the teens were actually buying them and they thought they were cool. Pretty weird stuff!

Teens with records? Wow, that is weird.

Though I'm told Vinyl is making a comeback. I just didn't think it would be the teenagers driving the comeback. Very strange.

There are, and have been a lot of audiophiles who are into vinyl. This actually isn't new. There are people who consider analog superior to digital format, and others are just into the whole look and feel of vinyl, and placing the needle on the record. Personally I always hated the hisses and pops once a record has enough use.

I remember my parents had a record player with a proud "diamond tipped needle", and now when I think back, having the hardest substance rubbing against your records isn't that good of an idea.

There are, and have been a lot of audiophiles who are into vinyl. This actually isn't new. There are people who consider analog superior to digital format, and others are just into the whole look and feel of vinyl, and placing the needle on the record. Personally I always hated the hisses and pops once a record has enough use.

I remember my parents had a record player with a proud "diamond tipped needle", and now when I think back, having the hardest substance rubbing against your records isn't that good of an idea.

I like vinyl myself. It took me a couple of years but I got one of those turntables that you can hook up to your computer and recorded all of my albums into mp3 files which is now part of my itunes library. (about 3500 albums)

The sad thing about all this is we dont get the information about the music we all love to listen to. who remembers double albums with inserts that gave all sorts of interesting pictures and information about the bands? I do...yea yea im a fossilhead I know!

I am a little older then Mage I do member 8 tracks had one in my first car. My youngest son is heavy into vinyl albums. Mad the old man proud and has pickup up some good stuff Rush, Camel, Sweet, and other various bands over the last few years He is just about to turn 21. He is into heavy metal has long hair down to his lower back. My parents hate it I love it. Have many fine memories playing music with both my boys 28 and 21. It is the one common thing we all love to enjoy. While I miss them not being at home sometimes it is fun to get together and play something for fun on the holidays.

Yea man, those hisses and pops on vinyl were classic in and of itself. And let's not forget the "ka-chang" sound made by the 8-track when it changed tracks!

The sad thing about all this is we dont get the information about the music we all love to listen to. who remembers double albums with inserts that gave all sorts of interesting pictures and information about the bands? I do...yea yea im a fossilhead I know!

Yea, and the art work on some of those album covers were as memorable as the songs. Better to be a fossilhead than a discohead!

I like vinyl myself. It took me a couple of years but I got one of those turntables that you can hook up to your computer and recorded all of my albums into mp3 files which is now part of my itunes library. (about 3500 albums)

I remember when I converted my albums to cassette tape. Man, I thought that was state-of-the-art! But it always seemed to run out of tape on the last song - I hated that.

While I only remember one store selling 8-track tapes, my parents did have a collection of them. My favorite were the Bill Cosby ones. I actually had a few of his routines memorized.

I did find a Partridge Family 8-track which surprised me. I don't remember that show not being a rerun. But then again it did go off the air when I was six.

Art work and information is nice, but now you can go to their website, or like them on Facebook. Right now I have liked Brian Haner, (Guitar Guy from the Jeff Dunham shows,) Larry the Cable Guy, and Rob Zombie. (My tasted are a little eclectic.) I am sure that every album cover, and insert from almost any album from the past is online somewhere right now.

Anyway, just wait a few years, you'll be able to "print" your own record from any mp3 files, and then print the album cover and inserts.

While I only remember one store selling 8-track tapes, my parents did have a collection of them.

I did find a Partridge Family 8-track which surprised me. I don't remember that show not being a rerun. But then again it did go off the air when I was six.

Wow, a Partridge Family 8-track! Wonder what that is worth on eBay? Would it be worth more or less than say, a Monkey's 8-track?? (lol)

my truck still requires one of these

use it to listen to the sirirus/xm app on my phone

im actually kind of amazed they still make them

I see these used all the time. It's a perfect adapter between an MP3 player or computer to older audio systems.

I use one of these every year to connect my computer to the main sound system for my Haunted House.

Archived