23 year old vendor on the go!

westlakevending

would like to tell you a little about myself. I am a 23 year old enterpenuer with a college business background. I started out vending with a double head setup at a bar with peanuts which grew where I am today. I own and operate over 200 oak vista machines. Since I am still living at home, i decided to take this jump into financial freedom and then move out. Every week my accounts are getting larger which isn't a problem for me to keep up with them since I am now a fulltime vendor. I do have one piece of advise that I would like to pass along to other vendors : SERVICE YOUR ACCOUNTS. I don't know how many times I have spoken with gatekeepers of a business and they dont want bulk vending because the last operator never serviced his machines. As I stated above, I work with the Oak Vistas not only because of the price but they are a very simple all metal machine to work with. My business goals over the next 5 years is to own and operate a fleet with 1000 locations. For those of you out there starting out on your vending venture.....just remember..... nothing to it but to do it!

Thanks

Shawn

Shawn,

Great post! I hope there will be some new operators here who read your story and find inspiration. We have so many people come through here looking for answers to their vending questions, it's nice to have success stories like this for them to read as well. It gives them a sense that this can be done.

If anyone else would like to share their success story please do so. If we get enough I'll open a forum just for inspiring stories like this.

Thanks again!

Steve

Hello,

I do my machines under a national charity, there are many of them out there such as National Cancer Society, VCA, Jerrys for kids ect.... But i have found the best to be the american assoc. for lost childern. I do my business about half and half on using a locator and doing it myself. I am going to focus over the next few weeks doing the locating myself and saving money. With the summer temps. as high as they are its too hot to be out and about. The best way to get locations quick is to use a locator and call yourself for the same zipcode that way you are hitting every location possible! If you have any other questions feel free to ask

Shawn

PS: REMINDER: IF YOU ARE NEW TO VENDING HERE IS A LITTLE TIP:

WHEN YOU GET AN ACCOUNT TAKE CARE OF IT EVERY SINGLE 30 DAYS....DO NOT LET ACCOUNTS BE NEGELECTED BECAUSE YOU WILL END UP LOSING YOUR ACCOUNT AS WELL AS GIVING BULK VENDING A BAD NAME TO BUSINESS OWNERS....

AINT NOTHING TO IT BUT TO DO IT-SHAWN

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This is a very inspirational post considering I was your age when you were born. I should have had the conviction to build this type of business, I could be a multi-millionaire by now.

What is your product line, I've been reading a lot about toys lately, and that is something I hadn't considered when I started researching this business 2 weeks ago, but it makes sense that it is popular. What are your thoughts on the subject?

• 2 weeks later...

If you have locations with kids, toys are ALWAYS a good idea to have a staple product in many markets.  I use a gum/toy double as a baseline entry machine in nearly all of my locations and go through a lot of them.  Plus, toys never go bad! 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just purchased 25 units today from Vendstar! I'm so happy to find this forum. I'm from WA state.  I can now ask questions in case I need some advice. I can't wait to get started! Cheers everyone!

well your first piece of advice is:dont buy new vendstars.

Hello Shawn:

I´m a 25 elementary teacher here in Mexico, and I started almost one year ago in the vending business. Your story has inspired me, and I´m determined to work hard to grow in this business to get financial freedom, or at least, not being a person that depends of his job to have money in his pockets. According to Robert Kiyosaky, we need to be B ( owners of their own business) or I (Investors), this a good area to start.

Greetings from Mexico my friend.

Abdón