Please list what you do to help curb stealing/loss

I'm about to try adding honor boxes to our bulk business. My husband (and business partner) is not happy about this, he thinks the loss will not be worth it. He also has an honor box in his lunchroom at work with small items (small bags of chips etc.) where everything is a quarter so he is insisting we don't charge more than $.50 per item.

I too am concerned about employee theft from the box. Since our childen help us run the business (a big reason I started it was to teach them about hard work, charity an running a business). I have had thoughts about putting a small sign on each box with a little something like, "portions of the proceeds of this honor box go to charity. Another portion goes to our children as our children are very involved with this portion of our business. Please be sure to pay for each item you take" or something to that effect. Your thoughts on this appreciated.

Lastly, please list what you do to help curb theft.

Thank you!

I'm about to try adding honor boxes to our bulk business. My husband (and business partner) is not happy about this, he thinks the loss will not be worth it. He also has an honor box in his lunchroom at work with small items (small bags of chips etc.) where everything is a quarter so he is insisting we don't charge more than $.50 per item.

I too am concerned about employee theft from the box. Since our childen help us run the business (a big reason I started it was to teach them about hard work, charity an running a business). I have had thoughts about putting a small sign on each box with a little something like, "portions of the proceeds of this honor box go to charity. Another portion goes to our children as our children are very involved with this portion of our business. Please be sure to pay for each item you take" or something to that effect. Your thoughts on this appreciated.

Lastly, please list what you do to help curb theft.

Thank you!

I don have any input on curbing theft but I'm shocked to read that your husband has an honor box at his work where everything is a quarter!

What all is in the box? Surely this is provided by the company at near cost for them as a perk to the employees.

Some of the others who have done this for a long time would have better input than me. 1 week in and about 10% loss. On my boxes I put the line about portion of the proceeds go to a local charity (I think the local specific charity is a lot better than the standard national charity....just my gut feeling)

I think that's about all you can do. And then price your stuff at $1 to account for the 20% theft that you'll incur. I think you can play up the charity, kids, etc but there's always someone that says to themselves "ah, it's just one....big deal". And then that happens 5 other times that week. Keep your costs down around 30-35%, price it at $1 and then even 20% theft means you made a decent profit.

You can mention the kids but it seemed wordy. I don't think people read a lot. 3 to 4 total lines is plenty.

On my boxes (the woodgrain boxes from Dennis), there are small holes in the back where the bill box goes. I put a zip tie through the hole so that back flap can't be opened. When I service I cut it and then put a new one on. So, at least they can't steal the bill box. They either take the whole box or steal the food.

I'm in the process of adding a picture of my family with a "thank you for buying!" message on the front of each of my boxes. I have eight small children and I'm hoping that the pic encourages a few more people to pay.

@loach33: OK, I have to admit - I couldn't figure out how to tie-wrap the woodgrain boxes shut. The holes seem to be in the wrong place. I feel like I'm missing something totally obvious here. I ended up cutting my own holes at the bottom to seal it shut.

I just put one zip tie through one side. So, it goes through one hole on the box and one hole on the door. However, I can see how after I do this a few times the door might just start to be pulled to the side. As I was putting a couple of these together, I thought to myself that I need to put a hole in the bottom to attach to. So.....I'll probably go to your idea.

Unless Dennis is listening and a small change is made to these so that there is a small hole in the bottom and make a small hole in the door, centered and about an inch from the bottom. ;)

P.S. I like the "small business" feel of a family picture. Something as simple as this with a thank you says it all. On mine, I made mention that I am a local small business since 1996. I figure it's best to try to make people understand that this isn't run by some large company that has thousands of these boxes. If it cuts theft by 5% it's more than worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

A card that says

We love to serve you but you short _______ on your last delivery.

Never fill in the amount or tell the account how much it was short unless you are ready to pull the account if it doesn't straighten out. Another option is to charge $1.25 per snack that way you can stand more shortage.

• 4 weeks later...

I just put one zip tie through one side. So, it goes through one hole on the box and one hole on the door. However, I can see how after I do this a few times the door might just start to be pulled to the side. As I was putting a couple of these together, I thought to myself that I need to put a hole in the bottom to attach to. So.....I'll probably go to your idea.

Unless Dennis is listening and a small change is made to these so that there is a small hole in the bottom and make a small hole in the door, centered and about an inch from the bottom. ;)

P.S. I like the "small business" feel of a family picture. Something as simple as this with a thank you says it all. On mine, I made mention that I am a local small business since 1996. I figure it's best to try to make people understand that this isn't run by some large company that has thousands of these boxes. If it cuts theft by 5% it's more than worth it.

I heard the request for a coin box that can be tied in easier. I have the proto type that allows a zip tie to fit through the coin box, flap and box. Will be making a run of them in the next few weeks.

Archived