How to handle the people wanting u to leave

JLM Vending

This has never been an issue. But all of a sudden this month I ran into ridiculous people. One owner thinks he's gonna make bank with his one machine he talked about all the ca Ching and so he booted me. But the one that bugs me is a decision maker wanting to give all the charities a chance so she wants to rotate. She thinks aHe is nice but that is bs. Sometimes I wanna lash out at these folks when they tell me this bs. How should I handle myself? I feel like acting up sometimes and am going through frustrating times for the first time with decisions makers though it was my best month

Well as you grow. Add a 2nd charity or even 3rd if you get large enough. A little more headache but when they say hey ("I want to help more then One Charity") Well I do work with a couple others which one would like to support for the next 6-12 months. It could be We see you making money and want to put our own Machine. Some friend etc is getting into it and things it will be quick easy money. LOL If money was ever quick and easy. Just like people come and go in our lives so will accounts Good ones and bad ones.

This has never been an issue. But all of a sudden this month I ran into ridiculous people. One owner thinks he's gonna make bank with his one machine he talked about all the ca Ching and so he booted me. But the one that bugs me is a decision maker wanting to give all the charities a chance so she wants to rotate. She thinks aHe is nice but that is bs. Sometimes I wanna lash out at these folks when they tell me this bs. How should I handle myself? I feel like acting up sometimes and am going through frustrating times for the first time with decisions makers though it was my best month

I have been asked quite a few times if I make decent money on the machine. I always answer with "If this was my only machine it wouldn't be worth it, but with all of them combined it adds up". Twice I swear I could physically see the idea go straight out of their mind ;)

As far as them wanting to help other charities a good work around could be to just offer to give them whatever money you would give to the charity and let them give it away to whoever they want.

I get this all the time. There are so many people looking into this business, I usually go with what English said- it takes a lot of machines to make any money at all.

However, if a business looks interested in their own machines, I usually use "well, I buy my product in bulk for multiple machines, otherwise I can't make any money at this", then a line about taxes, and finally I've got my secret weapon- brochures from the County Health Department's pseudo-successful "Healthy Vending" program. The requirements are only for full line vendors, and only in certain locations, but the brochures never specify that. Having to BUY stickers and labels and a special license from the county for a "small annual fee" is a HUGE turnoff to businesses.

As I explained to the guy at the game store who I bought out earlier this year, I do this like a job, so I have all the time in the world to mess with all the little things this business requires; like logistics, marketing, fees, licensing, deal-hunting, coordination, machine selection, etc. They have a business to run- let a vendor handle the gumballs- vending just isn't worth their time.

JLM, the guy who booted you is going to learn this the hard way real quick- I'd keep an eye on that spot because you might be able to get it back once the guy finds out (like everyone else) that vending isn't a get-rich-quick scheme.

Good luck!

Don't get mad at me if this sounds racist as I'm not..But most foreign owed stops like Indian gas stations for example,hate seeing someone make money..

I begged this Indian guy one time for months to let me put in a quarter pusher ..I finally get it in there on a 50/50 split...I service it after a few weeks and it had close to a grand in it...I was excited and couldn't wait to see his face when i gave him his 500 bucks.. He was soooooooo mad he threw his hands in the air and went to the back of the store(where he lived in a apartment)...I was dumbfounded ,, then his 13 year old son came out and said he wanted me to remove the machine..

I was like WHAT??? and he said that his father was going to buy his own machine because He pays the electricity and rent and it wasn't right for me to make $500 in only a few weeks for doing nothing!!!

I went back a few months later and he still didn't have a machine,,i told him he had already lost about 3-4K by not letting me have my machine in there..He just said he was going to buy one and blew me off like i was some bum or something..

I have similar stuff happen all the time,,when i count the money they get mad because I made money,,,they should be like "Oh wow, i made free money!" but instead they are peed off because i made money..It only happens with the immigrant owned c-stores..

now another stereotype...I locate all the time and have great relationships with a lot of mexican restaurant owners..My wife is mexican and one time my brother in law started working for me a bit...I thought it would be great having him help me locate because he could talk to the mexican restaurants..

WRONG!!! every mexican manager or owner would see him come in and locate and suddenly get this "fighting rooster" stance and be like "NO, We are a real business, we are not interested in your little machines.",,,I couldn't believe it..I went to the same stops later and put machines in no problem.. I ask my wife what the deal was and she said (and its not racist as she is mexican) " all the mexican men where "MACHO" and wanted to brag about everything and Envious so they kick their countrymen down so they can stand on them.."

she may be a little harsh and like all stereotypes its not nice,,but I sure do use this to my advantage!!!

First words out of my mouth when i locate any mexican restaurant is "I have machines in the other mexican restaurant down the road." or i play the game with say "El tequila" and I'm locating in "La Cocina Mexicana".... "Hi I'm Ron and id like to place these machines in your restaurant." If i get a "oh well , I dunno señor " I start saying "Ive got the machines in El Tequila and Fernando makes about a hundred a month..You really don't want these machines? Every mexican restaurant around has them"

I normally get a yes,,but if not i keep acting like the other stores are better than his because he doesn't have the machine, I act like I'm doing him a favor and all the other guys will be looking down on him if he doesn't get the machines. Envy is great sometime when making a sale!!

these stereotypes only go for first generation immigrants,,they hold true most of the time as these guys where raised in a different environment with different attitudes and culture..The next generation are Americans and all this washes away and they are the same as any other american..Luckily for me the guys opening the stores are immigrating here so i can use the stereotypes to my advantage..20 years when their kids take over its a new ball game.

ron

www.blazingquarters.com

Don't get mad at me if this sounds racist as I'm not..But most foreign owed stops like Indian gas stations for example,hate seeing someone make money..

I begged this Indian guy one time for months to let me put in a quarter pusher ..I finally get it in there on a 50/50 split...I service it after a few weeks and it had close to a grand in it...I was excited and couldn't wait to see his face when i gave him his 500 bucks.. He was soooooooo mad he threw his hands in the air and went to the back of the store(where he lived in a apartment)...I was dumbfounded ,, then his 13 year old son came out and said he wanted me to remove the machine..

I was like WHAT??? and he said that his father was going to buy his own machine because He pays the electricity and rent and it wasn't right for me to make $500 in only a few weeks for doing nothing!!!

I went back a few months later and he still didn't have a machine,,i told him he had already lost about 3-4K by not letting me have my machine in there..He just said he was going to buy one and blew me off like i was some bum or something..

I have similar stuff happen all the time,,when i count the money they get mad because I made money,,,they should be like "Oh wow, i made free money!" but instead they are peed off because i made money..It only happens with the immigrant owned c-stores..

now another stereotype...I locate all the time and have great relationships with a lot of mexican restaurant owners..My wife is mexican and one time my brother in law started working for me a bit...I thought it would be great having him help me locate because he could talk to the mexican restaurants..

WRONG!!! every mexican manager or owner would see him come in and locate and suddenly get this "fighting rooster" stance and be like "NO, We are a real business, we are not interested in your little machines.",,,I couldn't believe it..I went to the same stops later and put machines in no problem.. I ask my wife what the deal was and she said (and its not racist as she is mexican) " all the mexican men where "MACHO" and wanted to brag about everything and Envious so they kick their countrymen down so they can stand on them.."

she may be a little harsh and like all stereotypes its not nice,,but I sure do use this to my advantage!!!

First words out of my mouth when i locate any mexican restaurant is "I have machines in the other mexican restaurant down the road." or i play the game with say "El tequila" and I'm locating in "La Cocina Mexicana".... "Hi I'm Ron and id like to place these machines in your restaurant." If i get a "oh well , I dunno señor " I start saying "Ive got the machines in El Tequila and Fernando makes about a hundred a month..You really don't want these machines? Every mexican restaurant around has them"

I normally get a yes,,but if not i keep acting like the other stores are better than his because he doesn't have the machine, I act like I'm doing him a favor and all the other guys will be looking down on him if he doesn't get the machines. Envy is great sometime when making a sale!!

these stereotypes only go for first generation immigrants,,they hold true most of the time as these guys where raised in a different environment with different attitudes and culture..The next generation are Americans and all this washes away and they are the same as any other american..Luckily for me the guys opening the stores are immigrating here so i can use the stereotypes to my advantage..20 years when their kids take over its a new ball game.

ron

www.blazingquarters.com

You are a wealth of information Ron, thank you! This is very interesting stuff!

As for that haircut place, I'm gonna find out who is putting the machine in there. She didn't sound like she knew the exact details. If it's someone else that's not their own machine, I'll just offer them a high commission. And if they still don't accept for no good reason, I might just act up. But hopefully that won't happen. I get furious when people sugarcoat things and try to act like I'm stupid.

Don't get mad at me if this sounds racist as I'm not..But most foreign owed stops like Indian gas stations for example,hate seeing someone make money.. I begged this Indian guy one time for months to let me put in a quarter pusher ..I finally get it in there on a 50/50 split...I service it after a few weeks and it had close to a grand in it...I was excited and couldn't wait to see his face when i gave him his 500 bucks.. He was soooooooo mad he threw his hands in the air and went to the back of the store(where he lived in a apartment)...I was dumbfounded ,, then his 13 year old son came out and said he wanted me to remove the machine.. I was like WHAT??? and he said that his father was going to buy his own machine because He pays the electricity and rent and it wasn't right for me to make $500 in only a few weeks for doing nothing!!! I went back a few months later and he still didn't have a machine,,i told him he had already lost about 3-4K by not letting me have my machine in there..He just said he was going to buy one and blew me off like i was some bum or something.. I have similar stuff happen all the time,,when i count the money they get mad because I made money,,,they should be like "Oh wow, i made free money!" but instead they are peed off because i made money..It only happens with the immigrant owned c-stores..

wow yeah i know EXACTLY what you mean, i tried to put a pusher in a very high traffic c-store near a trailer park(nothing else around there) owner told me "no we have too many customers" ...wtf?!!

i get this all attitude all the time tho. the way ive started to handle it, i carry a $100 bill in my wallet. I place it down on the counter and tell the owner, "if you saw this lying on the floor, you'd stop and pick it up right?" of course they agree. "well mr owner what you are doing is when you walk past that area (point to where the machine goes) you are walking past one of these EVERY month. I'm just here to show you how to reach down and pick it up.'

Down here most of the mexican places own their own bulk stuff, cant be convinved otherwise , tried

pretty hard ,everything short of sending in a hot chick or outright bribery lol

The location that wants to spread the love, tell her you thought about what she said and it made a lot of sense, what you would like to do is have her pick a charity quarterly and you will donate all charity proceeds to it for that quarter. Personally I think she was just using that as an excuse to get you out to bring in comm machines or maybe a friend, but if not that solves her dilemma and keeps your machine in the location.

Ron hit it right on the head, I also dated a girl whose family was originally from mexico for over a decade, "Macho" is part of their culture. Way around it, if possible, don't approach from any angle that is level or above what they feel they deserve, approach it from a level of right beneath them, you want to work "for" them so they can make more money per square feet. You "understand" they own the store and call the shots, that kind of thing.

As for the really cheap skates who want to always do it themselves, I don't have a way around them other than to bludgeon them with things like the only way to make money in this business is to operate a big route so you can buy in supplies in bulk, cheap enough to turn a profit, and not lose your nose fighting spoilage or paying insurance coverage. Make it sound not worth the trouble sometimes works but cheapskates will always be cheapskates.

What I'm going to do is put up an act, but an act that comes from the heart and is not a lie. But I will look almost like I am going to cry and I will rant about the charity and ask them what i did wrong. I am definitely going to bring up the issue of sick kids. But if it doesn't work, i had nothing to lose. This is about the sick kids, after all. My business is not even as important as kids with cancer, and that is the truth. Actually no person in the world's vending business can compare to the importance of sick dying kids who need help and every penny counts. So I am going to have thick skin and this will be good for me. Actually, it's good for them, which is the more important matter. A full blown example of a man sacrificing for the kids, only benefiting the cause.

What I'm going to do is put up an act, but an act that comes from the heart and is not a lie. But I will look almost like I am going to cry and I will rant about the charity and ask them what i did wrong. I am definitely going to bring up the issue of sick kids. But if it doesn't work, i had nothing to lose. This is about the sick kids, after all. My business is not even as important as kids with cancer, and that is the truth. Actually no person in the world's vending business can compare to the importance of sick dying kids who need help and every penny counts. So I am going to have thick skin and this will be good for me. Actually, it's good for them, which is the more important matter. A full blown example of a man sacrificing for the kids, only benefiting the cause.

I am hoping he's saying it tongue in cheek.

There's got to be a better way to do it. If you put her in an uncomfortable situation she's just going to freeze up. You've got to sweet talk her and tell her what she wants to hear. If she wants to give other charities a turn then tell her you will arrange for that. Let her know that you give a reasonable percentage to the charity and any other vendor might not. If you want to keep the location then play ball!

With collectively 50 years of experience between my partners and myself from what I can tell you are haveing a couple problems. Your biggest issue right now is that you are getting booted by a comepetitor that knows how to locate his own machines. I cannot stress the importance of knowing how to locate your own machines enough. In addition to that my best guess is that your locations are giving you up so quickly becuase your competitor is offering a sales commision. You have to follow suit especially if you want to compete and survive. That is the bottom line. Learning the skill of locating will reward you 100 fold. Nearly all of the golden $500 dollar a month vending machine locations already have a vending machine in them. There is a strategy for that too. A locating service generally does not have the time or resources to boot your competitors and get you in there. They generally find mediocre spots. Especially if you are not offering commission. Trust me 50% percent of $1000 dollars is way better than 75% of $100. The math is that simple and that is how the big dogs play.

Learn to locate your own machines- The real players in the vending world do.

Offer 25% to your locations. You make more money becuase you get better locations - Locations have something to keep you around for.

Dont spend more than 25% Percent on product - If your route Gross $1000 dollars do not spend more than $250 dollars on your re-order. It is that simple.

25% is the industry norm for bulk vending commisions weather you sponsor a charity or not. Dont be scared to do that. I warn you not to exceed 25% commision. Be a big dog in the bulk vending business and start to make some real money with real locations. There is a cost associated with that and dont be scared of it.

Last of all I request that nobody steals the information I am sharing. People helped me when I was new for free and I am trying my best to return the favor to others that really want to earn some cash and run the business like a big dog. That is why its free so dont be a bastard and try and re-sale it. Please. ( Forgive me for the last line. It is not meant for the people of the forum. Just forum lurkers not interested in contrubuting.

Feel free to send me a PM with any questions. I am happy to help

How2vend, I am more comfortable locating if I offer a commission. I am comfortable defending a charity, but not selling it. I still will donate a small amount for each machine to charity regardless, because I believe in it.

How2vend, I am more comfortable locating if I offer a commission. I am comfortable defending a charity, but not selling it. I still will donate a small amount for each machine to charity regardless, because I believe in it.

Sticking with you charity is a great thing. Doing so will give you an edge against your competitors especially when offering commissions to boot. I think that is a great place to be. Something crappy about typing is that it really is one demintional. I re-read what I posted and all I want to do is help like the others who have posted on this thread.

There are a lot of great people on this forum and I acknowledge that some are even my elder in this business. This forum is the right place for us to be.

I have been asked quite a few times if I make decent money on the machine. I always answer with "If this was my only machine it wouldn't be worth it, but with all of them combined it adds up". Twice I swear I could physically see the idea go straight out of their mind ;)

As far as them wanting to help other charities a good work around could be to just offer to give them whatever money you would give to the charity and let them give it away to whoever they want.

I like your saying. I usually say, " It does ok in the summer time!"

Most commission vendors will trash talk your charity.. There is too much information readily available on internet about vending charity scams.. To associate yourself with one and then have this information about "1 dollar a month and the machine could make $1000" vending charities made aware to location will get you booted..

Most vending charities are a scam,,don't know which one you believe in but a few years ago someone in another forum broke it down ,,average take on machine was $25 a month,$1 to charity, out of that $1 over 75 cents was administrative,printing,advertising and other costs so only 25 cents was actually distributed to the charity as it was a third party with contract over advertising on gumbal machines, the charity was not involved in the fund raising..So for every $100 only one dollar made it to charity... He had made a brochure for his commission machines for locating and gave all this information to every location with a charity machine..

sooooo..You will already be on the defensive if someone has pitched the location like this..Your best defense would be to get the information from the actual charity on how much money was raised Nationwide with the charity gum ball machines and the impact it has made on their charity...

They are probably on the assumption that every dime of profit goes to the charity now,,if you offer commission on this stop with same setup and charity sticker you will have trouble...If you can somehow make them believe you are just an employee,(which i always do,never let them know I'm the boss) you could say "We do have a different segment of our company for the big stops like Walmart etc. where we pay a commission directly to you, if we do this you can give commission to any charity you want,or put it in your pocket as rent for the space in front of your store.. It would be cash to you every time we service machine."..

but don't go on top of that and put a charity sticker on the machine,just give the to charity and leave the sticker off of machine.

ron

www.blazingquarters.com

If the average bulk head in the nation makes $12 per month and you have a double head in a restaurant paying them 25% commission, the restaurant would be making $6.00 per month. And you say the restaurant really cares about that money? Even if you triple this and your double makes $72 per month the restaurant would get a wopping $18 commission. I have found the restaurant doesn't really care about the commission. They want brand new good looking machines with full fresh products and regular friendly service. That is what gets and keeps accounts, not a few dollars a month.

if its a restaurant they do care,,and they want their money...if you service a 12 dollar a stop every single month then your crazy...and when someone works in a restaurant(which i owned one for several years) time is a blur,,you can come every 6 months to that stop and they would think you just left yesterday,,,now you give them 30-40 bucks and they feel that...If someone was to service that 12 dollar a month stop every month and hand them a handful of quarters every single month they are digging their own grave!!! its called BULK VENDING folks,, I don't think the inventors of it ever imagined someone servicing a machine that only had 1/8th of the product gone,thats just dumb...I won't let the rack get empty,but i don't want to break that thing down unless theres at least 1-200 bucks.

if its a big car lot or something like that where the machine is only gonna make 3-4bucks a month anyway then No they don't care,,they just want good product and clean machines..charity or whatever they don't care,,heck you don't even have to ask them,,if there are multiple charity machines in waiting room you shouldn't ask,,you should just walk in and put yours beside of the others and leave..IF you jump through all the hoops and get the right person for permission he will probably say no as they already have several...but if you just put it there they will never say anything...I have some triples in a hospital that the 9 machines combined make about 400 a month.all in different waiting rooms..I just walk in there every 3-4 months and in about 2 hours i have 12-15 hundred bucks in about 3 big bags of quarters...and i never ask anybody for permission and its going on 12 years!! no commission ,no charity..

years of experience i can tell which locations i can "gorilla locate" like that..and i don't do it anymore as i don't have anymore of those types of machines i want to place,,IF they don't care its more of a bother to them with you bugging them all the time with the small handful of quarters..

its different for every location and sometimes good clean machines and good product don't cut it..I eat those guys lunch with a claw machine,,just place that claw machine beside of their rack and the location can actually feel the cash(paper money) in their hand then i can easily take the rack location..no matter how good and clean and good product they have..I could put a crap rack in there with crap product and make less money than they where making ,,,but the crane will make up for it and the location will never notice..I don't do that but it rings true..

ron

www.blazingquarters.com

Thanks for the tips Ron. I haven't been doing this near as long as you. I am just starting and learning. For me so far I have 16 locations all with Northwestern 60 doubles, one Selectivend triple, one soda machine. All of my locations are commission and charity free. I keep 100%. I haven't ever lost an account(now that I have said that I am in trouble)

I might look for some places to Gorilla Locate!

Archived