What else do I need?

jpvending

Just getting started (yes, still). I bought 10 vendstars off CL - supposedly new in box but they didn't come with keys so it's taken me awhile to take care of that. But now keys are on their way.

I've gotten a membership to Sam's Club.

I've decided on what candies and where I'm buying (PMM's from Sam's, Runts from Quill, and 1/2 in gumballs from Sam's Online)

I've ordered business cards and they've arrived.

I haven't decided yet about a charity or if I want to do charity.

What else? I will probably want to buy some gloves for servicing machines. What else (besides the machines/candy) are necessary start up items. I have cleaning supplies.

Do I need to make up a flyer or brochure? Or is a business card sufficient?

Jane

Business cards have been sufficient for me. I have some laminated photos of my best machines on location, and that really helps them see what I want to do.

I would get some labels for your machines- good labels make a professional vendor stand out. Sweetstop is a member here and he operates a label business. Talk to him for some great stickers at great prices. Otherwise, I think you're about set to go.

Go catch those quarters! Good luck!

Looks like your off to a good start. I have started with vendstars. I have 14 of them. I have now started to buy the eagles and NW 60's when I find them on Craigslist and ebay for a good price. I am working on a couple of tri-fold flyers to help with my self locating. I have used some locators in the past to help get things going but as I get my route cash-flowing enough to keep itself fed. I plan on working on my self locating skills more.

Sounds like a great start! I locate myself insead of using a locating service (I have a sales background and am comfortable with it). Instead of calls I hit the pavement with a self-made binder of what my company offers. Just picked up a 3 ring binder and good quality sheet protectors. I filled it with photos of what I can offer, singles, doubles, triples, racks, etc. When I walk in and open the book it gives them a visual and a better understanding of what they're agreeing to. It was hugely successful and key in securing locations.

Good luck!

Thanks for everyone's input.

Performavending, I did go to Sweetstop's website to try and order some labels but the kind I wanted it didn't have a place on the order form to select the candy type I wanted. Will contact them from this site to see if I can work it out. Love the idea of the vinyl labels and not having actual stickers stuck to my machine. So thanks for the headsup!

JCS, I only have Vendstars...so not much to put in a binder. LOL. I did print up a flyer that has a picture of my machine and a checklist of why they should consider one of my machines (new machines, serviced regularly, locally owned so quick response time, etc.) Figure with that and my business card it should be sufficient. Love your idea for the future as I hopefully add more selection to my repetoire though.

Bigredvender, how much do locators charge? And how do you find a local company? Or does that matter since they are using the phone for contact? Would love to see your tri-fold if you're willing to share at some point. I did a one page flyer and had a hard time filling just that small space up. Can't imagine a tri-fold! But then again you probably have more machines and options than I do at this point. Either that, or you are a hell of a bs'er. ;D

They flyer was easy I used the computer at work on my lunch break. Used a standard layout in MS publisher. Pulled some pick of the machines I use off the net and Presto Change O fliers. I have used a lot of my OT money this summer to get things rolling. I have vendstars 14 some new some used. 14 eagle heads 6 NW 60 heads and 1 NW 14" gumball globe machine.

Locators can be a big help to getting you started off. Starting next week I will have Mondays off again and plan on working on my self locating skills.

Used All machines Locators. Wasn't overly impressed with there locations 60 bucks a location mostly poor locations

Just tried 1st Choice Looks like they got me 2 excellent locations 50 bucks a location

I also decided to try locators are us Got one so so from them so far. They have an order for 3 more 2 dbls and a single GB

If you check the locators forum page on this sight I put a link to a ebay auction Kickstart is doing. .99 cents for your 1st location. your not out much for a buck. They did get me a bar put a double in there.

The name of the thread is lets see if Kickstart can start anything.

Another thing is to pay a bounty I got 2 of my better stops this way. Both have done 17-18 bucks the last two months. I offered 25 to anyone that could give me the contact to place a machine when I placed they made the initial call gave me the contact info and when I placed it I one Cash the other a restaurant gift card.

So there are a couple other ways to help work it out for you.

I had also seen the gift card idea when self locating. Hadn't thought of the 'bounty' method but I do have friends who are certainly more outgoing than I am. So that might be an idea. Thanks!

I will also check out the Kickstart auction.

Ok, update. :) I approached a local charity (a dog rescue group) and they are happy to have me affiliated with them. This is new to them and I'm pretty muchly running the show. I do have one of their foster doggies so it is a charity that I feel a personal connection to. They didn't have any stickers or flyers that I could use. The coordinator said it was on her list but she had never got to it. I told her if I had her permission to lift their logo and use it - that I'd make my own tri-fold brochures and labels. I did the tri-fold last night and sent it to her this morning for her review. Told her that hopefully she can use it for other uses as well and can take it off her 'to do' list. Next comes the labels...so I went to Office Depot today and a package of stickers is something like $13...ouch! I have a 'sticker maker' (xyron) from my scrapbooking days so I'm considering just doing that or another option would be to use a clear envelope (which I also have from my scrapbooking/card making days) and print the 'sticker' on regular paper and put it inside the envelope. Not sure yet.

Then I went to look at the ID badges because it makes sense to wear something (whether it's a uniform or a badge) to identify yourself. They only sold them in 10 packs and they were $5. I still need to order my candy stickers from the member on here and I noticed he sells the ID badges for $5. Figure if I only need one and it'll save me from having to make it myself...that I'll just order one from him when I order my stickers.

If you have a good color printer and some Avery business card stock you can use that to make it also. Then run it though a laminator

Ok, update. :) I approached a local charity (a dog rescue group) and they are happy to have me affiliated with them. This is new to them and I'm pretty muchly running the show. I do have one of their foster doggies so it is a charity that I feel a personal connection to. They didn't have any stickers or flyers that I could use. The coordinator said it was on her list but she had never got to it. I told her if I had her permission to lift their logo and use it - that I'd make my own tri-fold brochures and labels. I did the tri-fold last night and sent it to her this morning for her review. Told her that hopefully she can use it for other uses as well and can take it off her 'to do' list. Next comes the labels...so I went to Office Depot today and a package of stickers is something like $13...ouch! I have a 'sticker maker' (xyron) from my scrapbooking days so I'm considering just doing that or another option would be to use a clear envelope (which I also have from my scrapbooking/card making days) and print the 'sticker' on regular paper and put it inside the envelope. Not sure yet.

Then I went to look at the ID badges because it makes sense to wear something (whether it's a uniform or a badge) to identify yourself. They only sold them in 10 packs and they were $5. I still need to order my candy stickers from the member on here and I noticed he sells the ID badges for $5. Figure if I only need one and it'll save me from having to make it myself...that I'll just order one from him when I order my stickers.

Sounds Good and you thought a tri-fold would be hard to do. Good job.

Thank you for all of your ideas. We have decided to do a give away type of thing just not sure what yet. Still can't come up with the best way to record leads or people who want our vending services in their business.

Archived