Tech problem BC10 machine kicks out 5's

loach33

I have a BC10 machine, model 3189. It has a CB500SA controller. The bill acceptor in it is a Coinco MAG32SA

About a week ago the acceptor was flashing 5 times meaning "check optical sensors". I shut off the machine, cleaned it and it worked. Until I went in the next day and same thing. Put in a new acceptor. Fed bills in, worked, then left and got a call an hour later. Put in another acceptor. Same problem the next day. (All acceptors were MAG32SA)

Eventually I realize that if I shut off the power and turn it back on it works again. I can feed $1 bills just fine. But then......I realize it's the 5's. It might take one but most of them are kicked back out and then the acceptor cycles repeatedly for probably 2 minutes. Then it stops and the flashing code blinks 5 times. It then starts cycling again. If I turn the power off everything resets and I can feed $1 bills again.

So, before I left I set it so it will not take 5's. But, obviously a temporary fix. Any thoughts?

P.S. I have also changed the coin mech thinking maybe that could be causing something. Thinking back, I think something like this happened about a year ago. I believe I only changed the acceptor and that was it. I never had it happen for me. Back then it was a very short term thing as I only heard about the problem once and then it was "fixed". Never had another issue until now.

That may not be the correct controller that I listed. I swear that's what it says on the machine but googling a manual it looks like that's a different one. This controller works by pressing the service button multiple times to go thru the functions (pricing, bottle/can, test vend, etc)

I contacted Vendnet and their first answer was to do a coin fill. I have a MEI coin mech in there now, it was a Quantum Pro. But, after he checked again and realized that this was a model 3189 machine he said I probably have a board issue.

I don't have an extra one of these machines laying around and a new board is about $250. Do you think it's a board issue? And if it is then that may point to a voltage issue I would assume. This machine is on a dedicated line.

That may not be the correct controller that I listed. I swear that's what it says on the machine but googling a manual it looks like that's a different one. This controller works by pressing the service button multiple times to go thru the functions (pricing, bottle/can, test vend, etc)

I contacted Vendnet and their first answer was to do a coin fill. I have a MEI coin mech in there now, it was a Quantum Pro. But, after he checked again and realized that this was a model 3189 machine he said I probably have a board issue.

I don't have an extra one of these machines laying around and a new board is about $250. Do you think it's a board issue? And if it is then that may point to a voltage issue I would assume. This machine is on a dedicated line.

Just because its on a dedicated line line does not mean that it is not getting electrical interference from the breaker box. I've had weird problems in the past with frozen food machines that were remedied by looping the power cord through a magnet. I got the magnets through Vendnet. Also check the voltage with a multimeter, just to make sure the correct voltage is being delivered. I'd try that before replacing the board.

The voltage meter read 113. I check multiple lines in that area and they were 111 to 113.

Magnets, huh? So, you have to go thru Vendnet for those? Not something you just buy off the shelf? Do they have instructions on how to use them? Not exactly sure what looping the power cord means.

I thought about buying some of these http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SPIKECUBE-Outlet-Protector/dp/B00006B81E/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343835209&sr=1-10&keywords=surge+noise+suppressor

I've seen some new Coke machines that have a surge/noise suppressor built right onto the power cord. So, I've been thinking that I need to invest a bit in something to add on to a few of my machines that are in older buildings. What do you think.... Is that Amazon buy worth anything?

Archived