my review of jernie replacement board for united cranes

dogcow

I just installed my first upgrade board from Jernie. These boards are a 3rd party drop-in replacement

for united textile and grayhound electronics cranes. they replace talon/treasure chest/south beach,etc.. anything under their "classic" series. The board was designed by an engineer who

formerly worked for United Textiles so he knows the cranes inside out. This was specifically designed for united cranes, which makes it a lot nicer than the universal boards out there.

Installation is easy as replacing any board, it uses the same edge connectiors and wiring so no wire harnesses or rewiring of the crane is required. The downside is these edge connectors cause problems, i would almost rather it have an alternative wire harness.

The biggest thing is that it has a very advanced interface system, it uses a small LCD on the board instead of DIP switches to control the settings. This is a practical thing because it would be impossible to really set everything via switches. The UI is well laid out and easy to navigate.

The second thing this board has a TON of features, some of which i have never seen on any crane. It has several play modes including a 1 voltage mode, 2 voltage mode (grabbing & retaining), 3 voltage mode (grabbing retaining and winning) and an adjustable transition . this means, while you can set it like most cranes to simply change the voltage during the transitions it can also be set to gradually transition between voltages, making it look very smooth as the claw drops the prize out of its grasp, it really gives you an "awww almost !!" effect more than most cranes. It has a nice mode for setting claw strengths ,giving you the option to test a play right in the menu where you set the strength.

The percentaging can be set by either percentage or "vend price", which is automatically calculated for you. For the life of me i cannot figure out how to set the vend price, i will have to contact support about that. The percentaging has a ton of options, you can set it by a table (like how most import cranes are set) or you can set it such that the crane will auto adjust by using the prize sensor. That is to say, if the actual win rate diverges from the set rate, it will try to give out more wins or losses to bring it back in line with the set rate. It also has an option that will even try to adjust the claw power on its own to keep the win rate accurate but you will need a win sensor for that.

The board has a number of reporting features too including a way to set the commission and prize cost and it will auto-compute your commissions , profit and so on for you. it will also give you a report of how the percentaging is performing to let you better tweak all the settings

I havent had it online long enough to determine reliability. I noticed the controls are a bit less responsive than with the standard board, but not to a degree where a player would really notice it.

The manual leaves a lot to be desired, the board has a ton of features but the manual isnt laid out very well and its sort of confusing to understand how to adjust the settings properly, it also has no troubleshooting section which leaves me wondering exactly how to tell if the board is malfunctioning. The advantage tho is you can just drop in the old board , if you want.

Support from the company is also lacking, i believe its just one guy who runs it, it took about a month to get my board shipped out.

At $299.00 I feel this is a good buy, assuming it holds up over the long haul. The added control should let you get a pretty fast return on investment and old united cranes are pretty cheap these days and this puts them on par (at least feature wise) with the newer cranes and imports

• 2 weeks later...

I believe this brd has a slot for a flash memory card that you must use to add you own sound effects. Just rename some audio files to the defaults for coin-up, joystick movement, claw up/down ect. It is spelled out in the manual.

I wound like to hear about reliability, if anybody has had one on location for a couple of years or so?

I believe this brd has a slot for a flash memory card that you must use to add you own sound effects. Just rename some audio files to the defaults for coin-up, joystick movement, claw up/down ect. It is spelled out in the manual.

oh i assumed it had default sounds ok good to know

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just ordered 2 of them

i have not gotten a email from them yet

i cant wait to make my own sounds..

quarter in : FEED ME Seymour (little shop of horrors)

game play : eather giggity or peters laugh mix

claw drop : miss sounds from caddyshack.. moooh moooisss..

Lose: gotta be willy wonka you lose good day sir!

Win: Happy Happy joy joy ren n stimpy

melody attraction: not sure yet but..

theres just too much fun with your own sounds..

ill let you know how this goes as well

bill

just email him a few times, i have his ph# if he takes more than a week call, the guy is kinda

slow i mean, its not his full time business. and i think he has to solder all the components on himself too

from what he told me the boards he has left are "not populated" which i assume means no components

installed.

• 1 year later...

I just installed my first upgrade board from Jernie. These boards are a 3rd party drop-in replacement

for united textile and grayhound electronics cranes. they replace talon/treasure chest/south beach,etc.. anything under their "classic" series. The board was designed by an engineer who

formerly worked for United Textiles so he knows the cranes inside out. This was specifically designed for united cranes, which makes it a lot nicer than the universal boards out there.

Installation is easy as replacing any board, it uses the same edge connectiors and wiring so no wire harnesses or rewiring of the crane is required. The downside is these edge connectors cause problems, i would almost rather it have an alternative wire harness.

The biggest thing is that it has a very advanced interface system, it uses a small LCD on the board instead of DIP switches to control the settings. This is a practical thing because it would be impossible to really set everything via switches. The UI is well laid out and easy to navigate.

The second thing this board has a TON of features, some of which i have never seen on any crane. It has several play modes including a 1 voltage mode, 2 voltage mode (grabbing & retaining), 3 voltage mode (grabbing retaining and winning) and an adjustable transition . this means, while you can set it like most cranes to simply change the voltage during the transitions it can also be set to gradually transition between voltages, making it look very smooth as the claw drops the prize out of its grasp, it really gives you an "awww almost !!" effect more than most cranes. It has a nice mode for setting claw strengths ,giving you the option to test a play right in the menu where you set the strength.

The percentaging can be set by either percentage or "vend price", which is automatically calculated for you. For the life of me i cannot figure out how to set the vend price, i will have to contact support about that. The percentaging has a ton of options, you can set it by a table (like how most import cranes are set) or you can set it such that the crane will auto adjust by using the prize sensor. That is to say, if the actual win rate diverges from the set rate, it will try to give out more wins or losses to bring it back in line with the set rate. It also has an option that will even try to adjust the claw power on its own to keep the win rate accurate but you will need a win sensor for that.

The board has a number of reporting features too including a way to set the commission and prize cost and it will auto-compute your commissions , profit and so on for you. it will also give you a report of how the percentaging is performing to let you better tweak all the settings

I havent had it online long enough to determine reliability. I noticed "the controls are a bit less responsive "than with the standard board, but not to a degree where a player would really notice it.

The manual leaves a lot to be desired, the board has a ton of features but the manual isnt laid out very well and its sort of confusing to understand how to adjust the settings properly, it also has no troubleshooting section which leaves me wondering exactly how to tell if the board is malfunctioning. The advantage tho is you can just drop in the old board , if you want.

Support from the company is also lacking, i believe its just one guy who runs it, it took about a month to get my board shipped out.

At $299.00 I feel this is a good buy, assuming it holds up over the long haul. The added control should let you get a pretty fast return on investment and old united cranes are pretty cheap these days and this puts them on par (at least feature wise) with the newer cranes and imports

• 2 weeks later...

I had purchased two of these for some talon (untied cranes)

it did take the guy a few months to make the boards

the auto % did not function correctly

other than that they did work ok  but they are not worth using

for the investment you would be better off getting a updated newer crane with auto % built in and newer boards

bill

The edge connectors are jamma type 

to explain in  normal terms   they are like Nintendo cartridge connectors and they are not reliable

and those cranes use 120 volt  motors which does not help the connectors for high voltage

nice with the new board you can make themed cranes that follow the fads.

so when new anfry bird come out, fill it with that plush and themed sounds.

I want to do a Disney one, but watch them send me a cease and desist order.

then watch their own cranes pop up

nice with the new board you can make themed cranes that follow the fads.

so when new anfry bird come out, fill it with that plush and themed sounds.

I want to do a Disney one, but watch them send me a cease and desist order.

then watch their own cranes pop up

That license is dying

Archived