How much would you pay?

Rick Falcon

I came across a cash check place that went out of business,the owner is trying to sell a sticker machine from All Star,Beaver 5 rack on a silver Beaver rack,a spiral machine,and 3 Beavers on a Beaver stand wich the bodys apear to be broken looks like they went after the money,now keep in mind theese machines are very dirty and she doesn't have keys to theese machines wich tells me that someone left theese behind.She keeps going back and forth and now she is asking me to make an offer theese machines have been locked up in that location for over 2 years and I know that she is desperate to sell.

If they've sat that long, I doubt anyone is looking for them. If the other vendors were still trying to get their equipment, they'd be in your position I'd wager.

It comes down to principals I guess. If you don't take them because you believe they are stolen, someone else will. If you do take them, and the owners reappear after all this time, you could have a lawsuit on your hands.

It boils down to whether you can justify buying potentially stolen property, and are willing to face the consequences for doing so. The odds of the old owners reappearing and authenticating the machines is slim to none, so if you can get past the whole "potentially stolen" bit, a simple look at risk reward says go for it.

For numbers, if she is indeed "desperate" to sell- $50-$75 for the sticker if it's in good shape, $150-$200 on the 5 way, and $35-$75 depending on the severity of the damage. Odds are good she has no idea what the value is, and if she is indeed desperate, she'll consider it. Tack on "immediate pickup" and I'd say you have a good shot at it.

Now, I'm no expert, and I don't know exactly how "desperate" she is for sure, but waving a handful of $20's at them and offering to move the stuff "immediately" speeds the process up considerably.

Good luck!

You don't have anything to worry about here. Yes, in theory the original owner could contact her (after 2 years) demanding their equipment, she gives them your contact info. and they contact you. But even if that happened, the worst case scenario is you apologize and politely return their equipment to them. I'd estimate the chances of this happening after this amount of time is 5% or less.

If she's desperate and wants you to make an offer, start with 100 bucks. Deep down, she knows this isn't really her property so I doubt she'll be in the mood to haggle.

I would be careful. If you buy that machine and somehow it comes up as stolen from the owner you may have a large problem.

The only way he could be charged with theft by receiving is if the police were able to prove he knew the machines were stolen and bought them anyway. And about the only way to do that is getting him to admit it. Now if the machines came up as stolen, the lady who sold him the machines could definitely have a problem on her hands.

I have a possible account. factory where my buddy works. They have two Three ways in there both machines empty no one has been by to service them in years. I would love to place the machines but they don't want anyone until these machines are picked up by the proper owner.

Even if you get the machines you could also do due diligence and post in the paper. I revived equipment on location at 123 main ST USA If you can identify the equipment we will pass it on to you. Place it in your local paper under legal Notice. Or mention your looking for XYZ vending to pass on something of Importance to them. If you do this for a week or two it proves you have tried to contact the previous owner. Hold on to it for another 3-6 months and then paint and place. Put your own ID mark inside the machine somewhere.

With bulk machines one looks like another so unless you do some Identifying mark it would be tough to point anything out as stolen. I know my machines don't have serial numbers on them.

It hasn't happened to me yet but if It did That is probably how I would handle it.

You don't have anything to worry about here. Yes, in theory the original owner could contact her (after 2 years) demanding their equipment, she gives them your contact info. and they contact you. But even if that happened, the worst case scenario is you apologize and politely return their equipment to them. I'd estimate the chances of this happening after this amount of time is 5% or less.

If she's desperate and wants you to make an offer, start with 100 bucks. Deep down, she knows this isn't really her property so I doubt she'll be in the mood to haggle.

Thanks Rick I was thinking along those lines

I have had machines locked up for long periods of time. It can be really hard to get a location owner once a biz has closed. I have had machines sold by business owners even after I tried to contact them. I have had machines stolen by all kinds of people. I have 0 tolerance for a thief. If it aint your machine no amount of rationalizing willl ever make it your machine. Sorry, but I have worked very hard sometimes to get equipment out of closed places, only to have it suddenly disappear.

I have had machines locked up for long periods of time. It can be really hard to get a location owner once a biz has closed. I have had machines sold by business owners even after I tried to contact them. I have had machines stolen by all kinds of people. I have 0 tolerance for a thief. If it aint your machine no amount of rationalizing willl ever make it your machine. Sorry, but I have worked very hard sometimes to get equipment out of closed places, only to have it suddenly disappear.

Bull. You have no right to be angry at the person that bought your stolen property. Let's be clear about something here. Rick said, "she doesn't have keys to theese machines wich tells me that someone left theese behind". She's not approaching him saying, "So I stole these machines from some schmuck - do you have any interest in buying them?" He only has an impression that the machines aren't really hers. Splitting hairs? Maybe. But it's an important distinction to make before we go labeling somebody a thief.

Now I agree 100% you have a right to be angry at the business owner that locks your machine up and sells it to a 3rd party under false pretense. That's a thief.

The last locationn I lost macines in was a Grocery that suddenly closed with no warning to me. I tried for several months to contact the owner never got a call back. I later heard via the new owner of the location that the old store owner had sold my machines. A Northwestern 9 rack. Must have been a market for them.

My worst year for theft cost me over 100 charity machines. Must have been a market for them.

Now as far as "abandoned" machines go I am presently buying a route from the deceased operators widow. Not only was she unable to operate the route due to her own health but she didn't really know where everything was. The estate also needed to be settled before anything could be done with the route. Some of the stops have not been serviced for over a year. Working with the owners family I am slowly finding everything and explaining to locations the unfortunate circumstances. Of course some equipment is long gone. Too bad, must have been a market for it.

Seriously, people don't just "happen" to have vending machines with no keys. I admit that after many years in this business many many thousands of dollars in theft loses I have a thin skin. I guess I am "Old School". Possession of stolen property is a crime.

I understand what your saying and I respect that but the location has a huge sign with the ladies number because she is trying to rent out the location she wants the machines removed from her property and no one has claimed them for over two years.

Seriously, people don't just "happen" to have vending machines with no keys. I admit that after many years in this business many many thousands of dollars in theft loses I have a thin skin. I guess I am "Old School". Possession of stolen property is a crime.

Musser, I think you have every right to have a thin skin about this subject. I probably would too if I had suffered as much theft over the years as you have. But it doesn't change my point. You forgot to finish your sentence above:

Possession of stolen property is a crime if you know it was stolen and bought it anyway.

Archived