One of my locations now requesting soda vending

Hi everyone,

I have a bank location that I just recently placed a 3 head bulk candy and an honor box at. I stopped by for the first time since placing a few weeks ago to check on things. The honor box hasn't sold anything so we're working out a list of products they would prefer over what I have in there. It was then the manager asked if I could offer sodas as well.

I am not in a position to purchase or maintain a large soda machine but did notice they had a full sized refridgerator in their lunch room. I said I could likely start bringing sodas if they would allow me to keep it in their refridgerator and she agreed.

I've never vended soda before. The problem is in my state if I sell anything over $.75 I have to pay sales tax on it so everything I vend right now is $.75 or less to avoid taxes.

My question is, where do you all buy your soda for vending? Are you buying it at Sam's Club or is there a better source? Is there anything I need to know about vending soda that I wouldn't know from vending candy/toys?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Have you considered putting an honor soda box in their refridgerator ?I got set up with Walmart to be able to buy soda tax free,all you have to do is take your tax certificate to the service desk and they'll give you a card to use at the register.

John

I have found that walmart has better prices on soda than sam's. Recently walmart jacked their prices up over $7 for some reason, but in general at least in my area, sams does not have the best prices on drinks. If you catch a good sale, you can get better prices at CVS, walgreens, target etc. You should still be able to make a profit at .75. I am told that is the national average price for 12oz cans. If they want bottles then that is a problem.

Have you considered putting an honor soda box in their refridgerator ?I got set up with Walmart to be able to buy soda tax free,all you have to do is take your tax certificate to the service desk and they'll give you a card to use at the register.

John

What exactly is an honor soda box? I was going to put sodas in their refrigerator and put a little box for money on top of the fridge (price sign ON the fridge on where to pay). Is there a better way to do that?

As far as taxes, I am tax exempt from purchasing sodas/candy/toys for resale already. As long as I sell them for $.75 or less I don't have to pay sales tax (or charge sales tax) to my customers either. I obviously wouldn't charge tax on selling vending items but at the end of the year I would have to pay our government tax on all the sales I made BUT since I am vending for $.75 or under I don't have to - it's a NY State thing :)

What exactly is an honor soda box? I was going to put sodas in their refrigerator and put a little box for money on top of the fridge (price sign ON the fridge on where to pay). Is there a better way to do that?

As far as taxes, I am tax exempt from purchasing sodas/candy/toys for resale already. As long as I sell them for $.75 or less I don't have to pay sales tax (or charge sales tax) to my customers either. I obviously wouldn't charge tax on selling vending items but at the end of the year I would have to pay our government tax on all the sales I made BUT since I am vending for $.75 or under I don't have to - it's a NY State thing :)

Its the same as a snack box only with sodas in the fridge.

John

Archived