Sticker & Tattoo Advice needed

pp47021

I have a few bulk locations that are exceptional and kid rich environments. For example I have one location that consistently makes over $50 a week on a single vendstar triple. I plan to change this triple out soon with a better machine and have considered adding a single 2 column flat for stickers and tattoos as well if the owner will allow it. I would like to put in a small rack but I don't think the owner is going to go for that because there is a lack of space in this waiting area. The walls are all lined with chairs except for a large 52 inch tv on a table at one end of the room and in the corner next to the TV is my vendstar. Currently my machine is the only one there in the waiting area and the area is small but always has customers waiting. Anyway to my questions for situations like this...

1) 2 column or 4 column machines better?

2) do tattoos or stickers do better? If I only have two columns do I want one of each or two of the same?

3) What are the best machines to get? I like machines that I don't have to tear apart the machine to get to the product, so I can collect my coins fast and easy. At the same time I want a quality machine that will last. I would also like a machine that allows me to adjust the price if I want to. For example I want to be able to go from .50 to .75 in a few years if product cost goes up...

4) Price point, most flats around my area seem to sell stickers and tattoo's for .50 cents, in a location like the one described above do you think I can get away with .75 or is that to high?

I am a bit nervous about talking to the owner about this. This location was one in a route I bought a few months back and I have never actually met the owner. I would hate to approach him or her about this and have them ask me to remove my other machine. Part of me thinks I should just let it keep making me the money it's making and another part thinks I should go for it. Any advice?

I have another great location that makes about $35-40 every two weeks that is apart of the same route I bought but it has three vendstars. It also has one other double, and two singles all owned by different people on the location. This is in a very large waiting room with four full size couches all around another large screen TV that is always playing cartoons. When I was in there on Friday there were 13 kids sitting on the couches along with a few adults giving them quarters (LOL). Anyway I was going to approach that owner about removing the vendstars and putting in a small rack with a single gumball, 2 toys, along with tattoos and stickers instead. I had also considered upgrading to a better looking triple in addtion to the rack, there should be enough room for both and due to the high number of vendors in this location I assume the owner is friendly toward vendors. Again advice and thoughts are appreciated is this a dumb assumption? I am fairly new to bulk vending although I have been doing soda and snacks for awhile. I have learned that they are in many ways two different worlds. I sure don't want to goof up and loose my best locations... Thanks in advance for you advice and help.

A 4 space rack will take up not much more space then that of a vendstar. Mine is about 16x14" It would hold a 2 column which would be a good size to start with. You could do singles on the bottom a Gumball and a Bounce Ball would be good choices. Where ever you get your supplies from ask about there best sellers and just use them. I would either do 2 tattoos or 1 and 1 tattoo and sticker. One key is if you branch out to more then one machine keep different products in each with a third in reserve so you can move them around a little bit. No one likes the same old stuff over and over again. Most newer sticker machines are set up to vend from .25-1.00

Oak Northwestern Eagle AA are all good equipment. Keep an eye on Craigslist for buys on equipment.

Also on the sticker machine I would go for one that front loads if you end up buying new. Reduces the hassle of pulling out the rack to load product in.

On the location with all the machines. Hey it never hurts to ask.

One tactic is say hey your such a great location I think you deserve an upgrade in equipment. what If i brought in some different equipment to broaden the selections to your guests in the waiting area. Then do a small 4 way or 5 way get a couple pics of what your going to put in off the net and show him. Most people will love something like that.

Sticker machines are all pretty robust. I haven't heard of a "bad" sticker machine before, though people tend to speak very well of Allstar's machines and A&A's Advance machines.

I would definitely seek an expansion at the stop you mentioned. A 4-way or better if it fits.

Good luck!

Another note...we picked up 5 used sticker machines yesterday and the guy I bought them from made a suggestion which made sense to me. He said if you have a 2 column - do gender specific items on each side (so boys to the left and girls to the right). He said to set up all the machines that way and then it becomes habit. If you get a 3 column you can do non gender specific in the middle.

We picked up 2 2 columns, 2 3 columns, and a 4 column. The 4 column is HEAVY. There is no way I will be able to place it myself.

If you pick up a used machine, you might also ask that they throw in some stickers/tattoos to get you started. That's what we did and got a box worth $20 thrown into the deal. We can actually place it immediately once we clean it up a bit.

Most in my area are .50 cents Most items are about 10 cents each and don't go stale so .50 price point isn't bad. What you could try if you get a 3 column machine is do a updated One side Girl One side boy at .75 and keep a mystery mix in the middle for .50 If you start at .75 it shouldn't be an issue If you don't have strong sales you can always do a product change and move it to .50 and see what happens.

What kind of locations are these? Waiting rooms for what?

Beaver makes a great strong stable 4 way rack that takes the same space as a pipe stand with just 2 machines.

Stickers: if you sell for 75 cents, make sure you have merch that cant be found anywhere else, and it will sell for 75. If it can be found anywhere else, then sell for 50, which is the going rate today in most markets. Be careful, you can loose a location if you sell for more than the going rate without a good and valid reason: parents will complain. I had a location that wanted a higer commission, and the owner wanted me to sell stickers for 75 cents, and split the extra 50 50 I put in stuff that was real current, licensed NFL, etc, before anybody else. He took the complaints. Finally, his staff asked me to bring the sell down to 50 cents b/c they had regulars that complained, and I did it.

Most A & A and other quality sticker machines, used, sell for 50 to 100 depending on condition, quantity, etc.around me in central NC/SC

a big vending company near me lost a chain account, and had 100 4 column sticker machines for 25 bucks, with stand, if you bought all of them. One was $100

What kind of locations are these? Waiting rooms for what?

Beaver makes a great strong stable 4 way rack that takes the same space as a pipe stand with just 2 machines.

Stickers: if you sell for 75 cents, make sure you have merch that cant be found anywhere else, and it will sell for 75. If it can be found anywhere else, then sell for 50, which is the going rate today in most markets. Be careful, you can loose a location if you sell for more than the going rate without a good and valid reason: parents will complain. I had a location that wanted a higer commission, and the owner wanted me to sell stickers for 75 cents, and split the extra 50 50 I put in stuff that was real current, licensed NFL, etc, before anybody else. He took the complaints. Finally, his staff asked me to bring the sell down to 50 cents b/c they had regulars that complained, and I did it.

Most A & A and other quality sticker machines, used, sell for 50 to 100 depending on condition, quantity, etc.around me in central NC/SC

a big vending company near me lost a chain account, and had 100 4 column sticker machines for 25 bucks, with stand, if you bought all of them. One was $100

Where are you buying stickers that they can be found other places? Like in other machines?

Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I've never heard of a parent complaining when one vending machine had more expensive product than another vending machine before. Very interesting.

yeah I have been looking around for used machines on CL so far nothing but I will keep an eye out. Thanks for the advice here guys I like this forum. Is .75 to high of a price point?

In my area 75 ¢ won't fly. I tried this at a number of locations and sales were near zero. I'll stick with 50 ¢ on flat.

Re where to buy stickers and tats: It is usually pretty easy get new merch in the machines ahead of the big guys. I buy from Brand, A&A, and from Vending Supply, and a bit from some others. Keep an eye on Vending Times for new product releases, and keep in close touch with your sales rep, and pre-buy before products are available to ship: you will be able to get the product, and get it in your machines faster than the big guys. It pays to combine with other vendors in your area for freight savings. I buy with 2 other guys, we combine for freight, I take delivery at my place b/c I have a dock, and they work out of their homes. We always get a pallet or more, and most sales reps dont mind combining our orders for shipping.

I do think it is true, new merch gets shipped to "better "customers faster, especialy hot stuff like NFL etc.

What kinds of locations are these?

Yes, I have been kicked off locations before, because of pricing, and quality of vended items, and yes, Ive had customer complaints.Ive been at this since 1976. You have to be on your toes.If you dont get the feed back from the location staff or owner, you dont have a close enough relationship with them. Check your merch: is it stale? dont try to sell stale stuff, I see it all the time in vendstar and other biz op machines usually owned by small part time vendors, and it hurts all of us.....

I have picked up a lot of locations by buying stale merch, and showing it to the owner"do you want to offer your guests this? and close the sale

Both of these locations are large tire/basic mechanic shops, one has 16 bays the other 22, lots of people waiting for tires and oil changes mostly but they both do breaks, and other general type maintenance for vehicles. I just got this route in June and after I posted this I started to think that when school starts back up these locations might slow way down so I will probably give it till the middle of September and get a better feel for what happens when the kids go back to school.

The A A Machine I just got is front loading sort of the front lifts out so you can add the product and collect the money from the coin box.

Thanks BigRed. I'm looking to put one on a rack next to a 2" machine and need it to open forwards.

I have a few bulk locations that are exceptional and kid rich environments. For example I have one location that consistently makes over $50 a week on a single vendstar triple. I plan to change this triple out soon with a better machine and have considered adding a single 2 column flat for stickers and tattoos as well if the owner will allow it. I would like to put in a small rack but I don't think the owner is going to go for that because there is a lack of space in this waiting area. The walls are all lined with chairs except for a large 52 inch tv on a table at one end of the room and in the corner next to the TV is my vendstar. Currently my machine is the only one there in the waiting area and the area is small but always has customers waiting. Anyway to my questions for situations like this...

1) 2 column or 4 column machines better?

2) do tattoos or stickers do better? If I only have two columns do I want one of each or two of the same?

3) What are the best machines to get? I like machines that I don't have to tear apart the machine to get to the product, so I can collect my coins fast and easy. At the same time I want a quality machine that will last. I would also like a machine that allows me to adjust the price if I want to. For example I want to be able to go from .50 to .75 in a few years if product cost goes up...

4) Price point, most flats around my area seem to sell stickers and tattoo's for .50 cents, in a location like the one described above do you think I can get away with .75 or is that to high?

I am a bit nervous about talking to the owner about this. This location was one in a route I bought a few months back and I have never actually met the owner. I would hate to approach him or her about this and have them ask me to remove my other machine. Part of me thinks I should just let it keep making me the money it's making and another part thinks I should go for it. Any advice?

I have another great location that makes about $35-40 every two weeks that is apart of the same route I bought but it has three vendstars. It also has one other double, and two singles all owned by different people on the location. This is in a very large waiting room with four full size couches all around another large screen TV that is always playing cartoons. When I was in there on Friday there were 13 kids sitting on the couches along with a few adults giving them quarters (LOL). Anyway I was going to approach that owner about removing the vendstars and putting in a small rack with a single gumball, 2 toys, along with tattoos and stickers instead. I had also considered upgrading to a better looking triple in addtion to the rack, there should be enough room for both and due to the high number of vendors in this location I assume the owner is friendly toward vendors. Again advice and thoughts are appreciated is this a dumb assumption? I am fairly new to bulk vending although I have been doing soda and snacks for awhile. I have learned that they are in many ways two different worlds. I sure don't want to goof up and loose my best locations... Thanks in advance for you advice and help.

Get a Front loading 3-Column Sticker Machine. You will maximise space and revenuw that way.

One tactic is say hey your such a great location I think you deserve an upgrade in equipment. what If i brought in some different equipment to broaden the selections to your guests in the waiting area. Then do a small 4 way or 5 way get a couple pics of what your going to put in off the net and show him. Most people will love something like that.

I would choose my words carefully here. I like "...some different equipment to broaden the selections to your guests in the waiting area", but other than that we don't need the owner to start thinking about how we're killing it from 15 minutes work once a month. The more you focus on how it's doing his customers a favor the better.

Archived