Just Starting Out

Parrothead

Hey everyone! I am new to vending, but I think I am about ready to try it! I am going to start with just 1 or 2 machines ( I was thinking 1800's, but I am open to suggestions). Since I am only 16, I don't have a lot of money to invest, so we will see how it goes. I am just trying to make a little extra money, especially during the school year. I put an ad on Craigslist saying that I was looking for a location and I would pay $20 to the owner. I may also try a locator if I don't hear anything back. Anyway, I have been reading this forum for a couple of days now. There is some great information on here! Any advice you guys have for getting started would be greatly appreciated.

I just helped my son start his own, save paying a locator, dress professional, act professional and explain to location owners you're just starting out. He placed 3/4 of his machines hitting only 8 locations. Most of the business owners were impressed with him starting so young. I am guessing the same would hold true for yourself. Make sure to stress your responsible for servicing and maintenance so they know you will do a good job keeping it filled and clean.

I prefer doubles but a lot of guys on here are now converting 1800's over to toys too, so if you get the right location and can throw BB in one of them so you have 2 high return canisters, then why not.

1800s are a great machine to start with if you can get them for a good price. Put them in kid friendly locations (pizza places, etc.) and sell 1" toys out of them at 50 cents per vend. You'll have a very profitable route going in no time and you can start expanding pretty quick.

I started with candy triples, but singles, doubles and racks are the way to go if you want the real money in this business. Of all the triples, I'd say 1800's are the best as they're the most versatile machines. Like Shepherd said, you can convert them to 1.1" acorn caps easy, and run them all at 50 cents- so you get the bottom row of a 5-way rack in a triple format. You can't really lose with that.

You have the right idea to start small with only a few machines. I recommend you buy used, fix them up, stock them and locate them all yourself to start out with. Too many newbies get "hooked" on locators either by fear or habit. I've used locators, but you will always find the best spots on your own.

Good luck!

Too many newbies get "hooked" on locators either by fear or habit. I've used locators, but you will always find the best spots on your own.

Well said, your business depends on you to grow and thrive, whether you use locators or not being able to locate yourself is a must imo.

Archived