Teeth on the gumball wheel of a 1-800 machine

Davis Caroline

I recently bought 100 1-800 bulk machines. (40 already on location) ... There were around 8-10 gumball wheels where the teeth on the sides of the wheel had been broken. When there is even one broken tooth, the coin mech can not grab onto the wheel and thus nothing vends and the customer loses their quarter.

My question to the board is: How often does this occur (the wheel teeth breaking) for the bulk 1-800 machines? Should I stay away from gumballs completely? (I hope not because that was one of the very advantages of the 1-800 as a triple - was selling gumballs too)

I have already put 10 of the 60 machines that were not on location out and for 9 of the 10 I used gumballs. I am extremely nervous that I am going to have to go back and undo all those machines and dump the gumballs.

Should I be worried? I'd like to learn more about this problem before placing the other 50.

TIA

1800's have plastic wheels, which can wear out over time. I've heard of this before. It's my understanding that Oak wheels fit 1800 machines, and could swap in a tougher Oak wheel instead, but I don't know that firsthand.

Good luck!

I have 130 1-800's placed. Yes it happens. Yes it sucks. Like others have said, just keep a couple wheels with you in the glove box. The profit on gum is so high that it's worth a gumball wheel breaking once in a while. Make sure and put your Google Voice number on the back of the machine so when the wheels break they will call you and you wont lose money ;D

Bulkjake, can you comment on how often the issue occurs for you?

Typically, I only see it happen when either the canister adjustment is to wide (wide enough for 2 gumballs to fit in the slot - getting stuck thus jamming the machine and breaking the teeth) or some of the canisters teeth do not 'mesh' well with the coin mech. I have only seen it happen twice in the field as I test them thoroughly at home (see below).

My advice is to pour gumballs into the machine at your house to make sure it's smoothly operating. If it seems tight or rough - it will only get worse - change the canister until you get a smooth one. You may not have this problem as I am noticing some of the older machines do not.

I have a couple 1800's and vend gumballs and toys out of them. only problem I've had is the ones with plastic stirrer arms, they tend to break off and if vending bouncy balls the weight of the balls seem to speed up the wearing of the plastic teeth and they then break off. I pulled most of the bouncy balls and swapped to lighter round capsuled toys like sqwishland.

Archived