Where to buy soda?

Where do most of you buy your bottled, can soda for your machines?

Bottles from the bottlers, cans mostly from Sam's, it just isn't worth it for me to take the time out of my day to chase down deals at the grocery or c-stores to save 10 bucks. When you factor in something for your time, gas, wear and tear on the vehicle you probably really don't save anything. Though I will admit that when I was just starting out it was a different story.

I get my soda's from Wal-Mart because I live about 40 miles from the closest Sam's they are close enough in price to not make it worth the drive or the time standing in line. I do get my Monsters, Gatorade, and the few bottles I vend from Sams but 85% of my product line is cans so I only make 1 trip to Sams a month and I buy for my bulk route then as well.

I rent a 24 ft. truck every three weeks to purchase sodas by the pallet load from a large local vendor who gets several truckloads of soda per day. I also order some soda direct from Coke and Snapple. Sam's still has the best prices on most cans in my area, but I would recommend the grocery store and other places for their sales on cans for smaller vendors. When your route is small, time is less important and you can chase down these deals to provide for your route if you have can machines. Lastly, I resort to a couple local wholesale outlets when I run low on products that I cannot get through my other channels.

I rent a 24 ft. truck every three weeks to purchase sodas by the pallet load from a large local vendor who gets several truckloads of soda per day. I also order some soda direct from Coke and Snapple. Sam's still has the best prices on most cans in my area, but I would recommend the grocery store and other places for their sales on cans for smaller vendors. When your route is small, time is less important and you can chase down these deals to provide for your route if you have can machines. Lastly, I resort to a couple local wholesale outlets when I run low on products that I cannot get through my other channels.

Thanks for the info! Does Coke work with smaller vendors who only have a couple machines? I am working with a location and may have as many as 10 locations but as few as only 1. As the soda machines are more $ then bulk I usually wont just walk into a random store and say, "hey do you want a soda machine" I really have to be confident with the location.

Great thread! I've been frequenting the Costco Business Center however regular Costco has better prices on some things. It's also a good idea to keep an eye out for sales if you are so inclined. I sell enough 20 oz bottles that I'd love to buy a pallet of Coca-Cola from a distributer if I could get a good break on the price. They really seem to have a tight control on the price point. I'm thinking that I need to speak to some bigger vending folks to go in on some big buys, perhaps.

Allstar, my local bottler allowed me to buy as few as 5 cases per delivery and the driver would have to haul the cases up 12 stairs to my 2nd floor townhouse that I lived in when I first started vending! Every local bottler has different regulations, but I know in my area they deliver to many small mom and pop delis, pizzerias and restaraunts that only get a few cases a week. As to your approach to sales, that is pretty much how I started my business with a few soda only locations!

Avigadro, I am able to save $2 to $3 per case off the delivered Coke price and $2 off the Pepsi price per case. It only takes a couple pallets to pay for our $200 truck rental and gas. The other 10-12 pallets that fit on the truck are pure savings of $2 plus per case!

Willis, where are you located?

Allstar, my local bottler allowed me to buy as few as 5 cases per delivery and the driver would have to haul the cases up 12 stairs to my 2nd floor townhouse that I lived in when I first started vending! Every local bottler has different regulations, but I know in my area they deliver to many small mom and pop delis, pizzerias and restaraunts that only get a few cases a week. As to your approach to sales, that is pretty much how I started my business with a few soda only locations!

Avigadro, I am able to save $2 to $3 per case off the delivered Coke price and $2 off the Pepsi price per case. It only takes a couple pallets to pay for our $200 truck rental and gas. The other 10-12 pallets that fit on the truck are pure savings of $2 plus per case!

question for anyone who can help me out here! i just bought three machines and im just getting started in the business! now my question is this... If i buy direct from coke or pepsi do i then have to have to use part of my profit to pay the sales tax or when buying soda from the bottler do they already include sales tax in their pricing?

Depending on the state its called something like a "resale certificate" you must fill out a application with your state. Either the state comptroller or secretary of state office. Once you get your tax id# it will allow you to purchase product for your business without paying the sales taxes. If you want to do business withe the bottlers having this is probably a must (it is here).

Note, your vending revenue in your state is probably subject to sales taxes. That means collecting and remitting to the state those taxes on the schedule they require. Failure to do so will cause significant financial penalties and possibly also CRIMMINAL charges being brought against you. If you need some more help getting the right information so that you don't get into trouble let me know, I'll be happy to help as best as I can.

Thought I'd re-visit this thread after the Labor Day weekend. Does anyone else go crazy and take advantage of the sales? There were many runs in and out of stores but, from past experience I know that sales are few and far between from now til at least Thanksgiving. And prices don't go lower than they were this week. Cases were 5.00 and bottles were 2.50 a six pack. And both Pepsi and Coke had the $2 off 2 cases coupons out there. They were giving it away!

Average cost per case $4.50 and per six pack $2.50. Total cases bought: 100 and six packs: 200

Archived