Dixie Narco Perplexing Problems

pp47021

Ok I will keep this as short as I can. I bought a Dixie Narco on CL the other day for $300 multi price 110V machine. There is no serial tag on it so I am not sure of the exact model. It has a Pepsi bubble front and is a 9 selection machine. It also goes 3 cans deep in each column if that helps any. Ok so I set it up yesterday and after some adjusting everything seemed to be working fine. I went and checked it just before the place closed yesterday and all was well. Today I got a call saying it was vending 2 Big red at a time (i fixed this) but when I was there I noticed a problem with the changer as well. It was not giving quarters for change only dimes and nickels. Quarters worked yesterday but not today, after inspection I found the issue and determined the coin mech needs to be rebuilt, so I went and got another Mars 4000 mech this time with the $1 coin tube because I am selling Monster and other stuff in this machine that is higher in price and my Mars 2000 bill validation will take $5. I set it all up synced it with the bill valadator and HERE IS THE CRAZY PART....

SO I am testing it all out and then in synchronization each of the column cams or axuatiors in the machine started to click at the same time, no sodas came out. They did not stop and I could not figure out what the issue was so I unplugged the machine to reset it. When I reset it the lights on both the coin mech and Bill val came on and showed to be functioning and the clicking had stopped so I tried to continue the test. This time when I put money in it fails to vend or even act like it wants to vend anything, it simply returns my money in the changer. If I put in a $5 and try to get a coke it just gives me 5 $1 coins. If I put in a .75 cents and hit a vend nothing happens it just drops out my change. I put the old coin mech back in and had the same issue but of course it would only make change with dimes and nickels because the quarter part is busted.

I am puzzled I have never seen this before but I am hoping someone on here can give me some pointers because I plan to head out to attempt to get it fixed first thing in the morning. Any ideas?

Oh yeah I also tried to reset the computer by changing some of the vending prices, that all worked I was able to reset prices and everything functioned right but still it would not vend it only gives me my change back...

Also no cans are jammed or stuck in any of the columns....

Could I have a bad wire?

Could it be a bad connection?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks sideshot I am new to these machines with computers... can you give me a few more details can I just pick up a 6amp fuse at the auto parts store or is this something special for vending machines? Also where on the board is this fuse located? Thanks again!

Rule # 1 Do not connect or disconnect anything while the power is on or you will be paying for a lot of board repairs.

You may see the pro do it but they understand when it is safe and not you clearly don’t. I know this sounds harsh but I am trying to save you time and money.

I hope you get lucky and only damaged the fuse.

Walta

Thanks so much! I will let you know how it turns out on Monday...

Rule # 1 Do not connect or disconnect anything while the power is on or you will be paying for a lot of board repairs.

You may see the pro do it but they understand when it is safe and not you clearly don’t. I know this sounds harsh but I am trying to save you time and money.

I hope you get lucky and only damaged the fuse.

Walta

Thanks yeah I always unplug the machine when I am connecting or disconnecting anything I learned that lesson the hard way with the first bill acceptor I installed years ago. I hope its only the fuse too in reading the document that does sound like the problem and would help explain why it was working and then suddenly stopped. I will post here on Monday and let yall know what I find.

Sideshot you were right the fuse was blown. I put a new one in and that fixed one problem but revealed another. The machine was doing all sorts of crazy stuff showing different prices when pushing the same product button, and homing over and over and over again. I called tech support at vendors exchange they said I needed another board. I called a place in San Antonio that works on and sells machines they said the same but recommended I call Dixie Narco to make sure it was not a programing issue. I called Dixie Narco and they ran through some stuff with me and said I needed a new board. So I ran to SA and turned the old board in for a refurbished one.

I called Dixie Narco back on my way to get the board and asked what to do after it was installed because I knew they would be closed before I got back. He said to hook it all up and then hold the button down for 35 seconds and reset everything then I should be able to set everything as normal. Sooooo...I hooked it up and reset it but then it would not let me do anything else all the product buttons are set to 99.95 so I was trying to set them back to realistic prices. When I push the button on the board the display said 55 or SS (not sure) and then the number 8 i think. Then said JC-10, then went into homing...homing....homing.....homing.... then lands on HD and will not do anything else. It just stops on HD. Any suggestions? What am i doing wrong?

What does 55 or SS mean?

What does JC-10 mean?

What is Homing?

And what is HD?

Do you happened to have the full manual for the SIID?

Thanks for your help I was glad the location was closing because this machine was about to drive me crazy!

55 doest ring a bell.

JC10 = Jammed Column 10.

Homing = Please wait while the computer returns the motors to the home position.

HD = Historical Data.

Is it possible that you plugged the selection switch connector into the motor switch plug and vice versa?

Walta

Thanks for the help walta i guess I could have switched something but it looked to me like all the wires were unique and would only fit in their proper place i will look closer tomorrow. I thought that's what JC-10 might mean but the machine only has 9 columns? When it says homing nothing happens on the motors nothing turns at all do you know what that might mean? Thanks again...

ss is selection switch 8 first off check the connections on a 501E the board sends signal thru the switch whan you press the button it brakes the signal to tell the board to run the motor when you first put power to the board it looks for the switches then assigns the motors do you have regular switches or the membrane strip first see if the button is stuck in if not and its a regular switch try ruffing up the leads if that doesn't work you do a continuity check or make a jumper to connect both sides restart the board if that works get a new switch if you have the membrane you'll need to get a new one its not worth screwing with ;D

Update after installing 3 refurbished boards I finally got the one with the right software to make this machine work. I had no clue it was software specific the first time, then I was told the wrong number the second but third time is a charm and it was working when I left. I did have to replace the membrane behind the switches as well which is why #8 worked on and off and # 9 was not working at all. I am still have some trouble with column #1 # 8 and #9.

Column #1 is larger then the others its double the size I am going to have to get some spacers and going to attempt to vend bottled water out of it.

Column #9 is the last column and it just says sold out even when there is product in place. I checked the connections everything looked good I guess I have a censor out or something.

Column #8 kicks out two cans then of course nothing on the next vend. The cam wheel is set right I think the problem has something to do with the actual mechanism that turns on the bottom. I ran out of time today before the shop closed so I was not really able to mess with any of this stuff. At least the other 6 columns are working.

This machine is can hold 3 12 oz cans in each column but it vends two any time I try to set it up like that I can't seem to figure that part out. I wish I could becasue it would really cut down on the number of times I have to fill the machine. When I set the same column to be only 2 deep it works fine except for #8. This machine has been a headache but I have high hopes for it's profit potential!

Thanks again for all the help!

If u had a jam sometimes the rotor (ther metal cup the motor turn) can become warped and lead to vending probs like 2 cans dropping. Replacing it isn't. Hard just swap it with another. Column and see if it fixes if so get a new rotor

Ok again I ran short on time today, but I was able to get 20 oz Gatorade bottles to vend properly in column #1. I moved sunkist from #8 to #4 where the Gatorade was. So now I have 7 out of 9 selections fully functioning! I can't see any problems with the rotor cup on #8 but I suppose it could be a small issue. I plan to take the switch that lets the computer know if the product is sold out from #8 and place it on #9 to see if that is the problem there. If so I will get another one ordered. I plan to take the rotor from #9 and put it on #8 and see if that is the problem there. I hope to get to this tomorrow or Saturday. Thanks again for the help I will post an update when I know more.

Archived