A Open Letter to TVF Regarding Performa

mission vending

The one thing that just doesn't make sense is if Performa was "hellbent on shutting the TVF down", why would he be such an asset to the site and be possibly the most frequent and insightful poster during his time here? This really must be a misunderstanding and I implore the powers that be to give him a chance to explain himself . . . if for no other reason than for closure.

I'm puzzled by this too. I ran across another vending forum today that I'd never heard of and he had been posting there for months directing everyone to TVF. It doesn't all seem to add up.

While I am a newer member to this particular forum I do have some opinions on this situation. My background includes founding multiple 2+ million post forums over the past 10 years so I feel qualified to say that the admin and moderators of this forum have an impossible job. Regardless of how this situation was handled they would have been wrong in the eyes of someone. I fall under the category of holy overreaction batman as I saw the original post and saw no ill intent nor did it raise a single eyebrow. Some say well look at his horrid pms. And yes reading them in the context presented certainly seem damning. Or you can read it as someone jaded or dissatisfied with how the place he puts time into is managed. I personally have no issue thus far with management but would agree with some that Taking a step back and reassessing would be a good thing. Simply because a leadership decision is made doesn't mean it has to carried out if it is viewed by the masses as the wrong decision. The other side of that is that I see several high post count members demanding his head for his terrible infraction against the community. Administration has to make the decision on if they risk angering other major contributors. I valued performas posts and hate to see him gone even if he was upset with leadership.

Only 1 other thing, I do dislike when mods or admin deny the ability to read anything related to the forum. Pms are stored in plain text format in the db and is exportable and readable. I will agree most times bad pms flow to mod teams via forwards by persons trying to remain in the good graces of the mod team. And most admins are indeed too lazy to spend time digging through text looking for damning pms, but the capability certainly exists and is in many cases even supported via plugins in the admin panel ( true for vbulletin,xenforo, and ipb)

I think after all that typing my analysis is that there is no good outcome to this.

The one thing that just doesn't make sense is if Performa was "hellbent on shutting the TVF down", why would he be such an asset to the site and be possibly the most frequent and insightful poster during his time here? This really must be a misunderstanding and I implore the powers that be to give him a chance to explain himself . . . if for no other reason than for closure.

I have no idea, I'm not in his head and cannot assign motives and I feel improper for me to speculate. Again, those were his words and that is what we are forced to make decisions with.

I'm puzzled by this too. I ran across another vending forum today that I'd never heard of and he had been posting there for months directing everyone to TVF. It doesn't all seem to add up.

On the forum that I believe you are referring to he has only been a member of since August 6 and has a total of 12 posts, four of which are since the ban. The first of these is a call for a TVF banishment collaborative meeting to decide what course of action to take. Then announcing that he is awaiting further negotiations with TVF administration. Really? What negotiations?

The remainder are posts preban attempting to "poach" traffic to TVF. Something which we neither, support, condone or agree with for any reason whatsoever. IMO the "call to arms" ,if you will, and the blatant attempt to redirect traffic serve to only further make the case against him.

Only 1 other thing, I do dislike when mods or admin deny the ability to read anything related to the forum. Pms are stored in plain text format in the db and is exportable and readable. I will agree most times bad pms flow to mod teams via forwards by persons trying to remain in the good graces of the mod team. And most admins are indeed too lazy to spend time digging through text looking for damning pms, but the capability certainly exists and is in many cases even supported via plugins in the admin panel ( true for vbulletin,xenforo, and ipb)

I would like to address this comment.

Missions statement in post 1 about not being able to read PM's is accurate. The "We" he is referring to is the moderating staff. Our mod staff does not have access to anyones PM's

For myself, I don't recall ever saying that I couldn't read PM's. If I did, it was before even I was aware that I could. This forum does not have that capability through the admin section, nor would I want it. As you said, the messages are stored in the database. Although I can pinpoint individual messages should the need arise, I'm not a database expert and I really couldn't tell you how to export it and read it like a book.

As for the "Holy overreaction Batman" comment. All I will say is look around at our competition. TVF is head and shoulders above the rest. I'm not ashamed to say we got here because of overreacting. I put a lot of work into TVF. This is my only forum so it receives 100% of my efforts. Because of that I am fiercely protective of it. If I find out someone is trying to divide this community, then I have no problem overreacting to ensure it does not happen.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Let me also say this. I really like Alex. A lot. His contributions to this forum are undeniable. With almost 300 likes, I believe his posts are the most like content on this forum.

When I read the comments he made it really hurt me. I felt betrayed. I sat on that information for almost a month before I brought it up to the moderators. The decision to ban him was not made lightly. I wrestled with that decision for quite some time but I finally realized I had to do what was best for the community. Personal feelings aside, my decision was based solely on protecting the integrity of this forum. TVF is funded by member donations only. As such, I have the responsibility of protecting its longevity for those supporting members.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Archived