My Script...any suggestions?

jpvending

Ok, I've had no luck to speak of at locating machines. So I thought I'd ask for input...

I walk into the business. I asked to speak to whoever is in charge.

If the person who is in charge isn't there then I just leave a flyer both about my business and about the non-profit I'm working with (a local dog rescue group). The flyer talks about what is in it for them (happier employees, customers, and they are supporting a good cause) and also talks about me being local which means regular servicing and quick responses. It also has a picture of my machine on it.

If the person is there then this is generally what I say, "Hi, my name is Jane and I live here in the neighborhood. I am starting a vending business and I'm looking for businesses who are interested in having a small candy machine in their office. My machines only take up about 18 inches and I donate a percentage of my profits to a local nonprofit dog rescue group. Would you be interested?"

I've only had one person outright turn me down. Some say you have to go through corporate. Others it just seems like the person in charge is never there (gone back a few times). I don't want to pester a place of business. How many times should I go back?

One place (a coffee shop that is affiliated with a church) did call me back and said they had discussed it with the pastor and decided they weren't interested. At the time I only had candy machines and now I have sticker/tattoo machines. Would it be ok to send a card thanking them for calling me back and letting them know I also have sticker/tattoo machines? I'm thinking I could find some Christian stickers or tattoos that might be better for that location?

Anyways, open to suggestions. Not sure if my pitch is bad or if it's just a matter of numbers. I've only hit about 7 places so far.

If the person is there then this is generally what I say, "Hi, my name is Jane and I live here in the neighborhood. I am starting a vending business and I'm looking for businesses who are interested in having a small candy machine in their office. My machines only take up about 18 inches and I donate a percentage of my profits to a local nonprofit dog rescue group. Would you be interested?"

I wouldn't say you are STARTING a vending business, I would simply say you own a vending business.

ronsidney has an excellent "cold call" step by step explanation at blazingquarters.com I would download it and try and adapt to that style of locating.

What I got out of it is to walk in with an air of confidence and always have a good follow up reply to any feedback the location gives you.

There are a lot of variables when it comes to "numbers game"...You will learn over time what places are open to machines and what places aren't..

If you go to a area and hit all franchise restaurants and big box stores guess what ?? your gonna get all zeros and waste a day..

If you are familiar with the types of locations that allow machines you don't spend so much time beating a dead horse and just spend your time calling on possible locations..Sounds like to me if you only hit 7 locations and your already chiming in about "not being sure about your script" then you are lacking in confidence about what you are doing,with any weakness in your confidence your dead in the water..

I personally wouldn't use a dog rescue as my charity,,not everybody is a animal lover...I would use something dealing with kids,,because everybody either loves kids or I'm positive they have been a kid at some point so its a stronger charity.

I always used a double prong approach with my script like this " Hi, Im ronny and I'm the guy that places the gum ball machines in the local businesses , If you would like to have one we place it free of charge and it just takes up wasted space your not using now, you can support our charity or we can give money to you and you can support any charity your wish." I would have a large biz card ,about post card size with photo of machines available on it and my info.. I had several rebuttals for anything possible they could say,,if i could keep them talking then i could usually get a yes..

I went with one guy one time i was helping locate i had met on one of the Yahoo message boards and his script was " You wouldn't want one of these gum machines would you?" and i almost fell over backwards!! he was telling waitresses and hostesses what he wanted when he entered, he was looking at name tags on the gum ball machines when he walked in before he ask to talk to manager etc...everything you should never do!!!! I was amazed he had any locations but he was a successful vendor even with a attitude like that,unbelievable but it is just a numbers game..his average was just a lot lower than mine but he kept beating the street and got his machines out..

look for locations that say yes,,you'll get a feel for it eventually,,and just remember even if the machine is located doesn't mean you are making money..dont settle for a crap location like a insurance office or check cashing place just because you are frustrated,,its better to get that one busy restaurant and make $40 a month than 10 check cashing places making $4 a month..so don't be afraid of driving,its easier to backfill a route with followups than to have a garage full of machines waiting on follow ups.. don't be that guy that says " There is this great steakhouse and i think they want machine but they said they are gonna call me back so i want to have the machine ready." put the machine out and if the steakhouse calls you then go pull it from where ever it is and put it in the steakhouse or buy a new one and put it there..never wait on a callback.

ron

www.blazingquarters.com

Archived