These telemarketer locators

ronsidney

I keep reading on this board about you guys getting someone to locate for you.. It seems like the people that are locators are using telemarketing as their method??

I have rarely used telemarketing in my years of sales, as when i did with vending it really wasn't that effective for me..

How are these guys operating their locating companies??

I read stuff on the threads like "They got me a location last week." and similar...surely its more than that??

I used to drop 10-30 doubles in a day if i wanted too no problem...i had a dodge dakota at one time and i could fit 8 doubles on pipe stands in it ..I worked second shift and i would leave at about 10,,locate the doubles and be at work by 3 ALL THE TIME!!

I flew in to florida one time for a operator and placed over 200 singles in about 2 weeks,in a area i had no idea where i was,way before gps and stuff made it so easy like today,charged him a boat load of money really but he was game and sold the route for a pretty profit..

hair salons,auto mechanic shops,check cashing places,break rooms in big stores, nail shops, thrift stores, auto parts dealers, etc.. are all really crap locations in my book...im sure once in a while a nugget appears but as far as averages go they all sucked for me..It seems like these are the locations you guys are getting and talking about from these telemarketers??

just curious if anybody is using a "in person" locator anymore and what is the going rate now??

ron

locating tips and tricks for free!

I am one of the new guys on the board been here 2-3 months. I have been using telemarketing Locators. I have started to work on locating but have not had any success with it yet. I am still working on it and hope to get to the point that I won't need to use them anymore. I need to get this going quickly and start making some cash-flow. I am to that point now. It was the quickest way for me to get to this point. I also got a stop from a locator and got 5 more from just a follow up call to the regional DM of the company. I also did a asked coworkers and got a few stops that way also.

Even in self location your going to get a dud or two or more. It is just keep pulling the dead weight and move on to bigger and better things.

I am working on my sales skills to help improve my self locating. Like anything that will take some time but it will improve.

I keep reading on this board about you guys getting someone to locate for you.. It seems like the people that are locators are using telemarketing as their method??

I have rarely used telemarketing in my years of sales, as when i did with vending it really wasn't that effective for me..

I read stuff on the threads like "They got me a location last week." and similar...surely its more than that??

I used to drop 10-30 doubles in a day if i wanted too no problem...i had a dodge dakota at one time and i could fit 8 doubles on pipe stands in it ..I worked second shift and i would leave at about 10,,locate the doubles and be at work by 3 ALL THE TIME!!

I flew in to florida one time for a operator and placed over 200 singles in about 2 weeks,in a area i had no idea where i was,way before gps and stuff made it so easy like today,charged him a boat load of money really but he was game and sold the route for a pretty profit..

I think you are spot-on in your assessments.

The telemarketers are definitely going to get slower results than in-person locators.

I am an example of this...

I locate for myself both by phone and in person.

I locate charity locations by phone, commission in person.

And I do have better success rates in person.

I don't have any ratios/numbers...I just know I get more locations in person than I can by phone.

So why do I bother by phone?

Well, if I have time to locate in person, I'd rather spend that time going after commission (higher returns...usually) rather than charity.

However, sometimes I can't get out to make sales calls in-person but I happen to have spare moments to make calls...that's when I locate by phone.

I just try to make the most of my time.

But doing both types of locating for myself has lead me to the same conclusions you have drawn: In-person is more successful.

How are these guys operating their locating companies??

hair salons,auto mechanic shops,check cashing places,break rooms in big stores, nail shops, thrift stores, auto parts dealers, etc.. are all really crap locations in my book...im sure once in a while a nugget appears but as far as averages go they all sucked for me..It seems like these are the locations you guys are getting and talking about from these telemarketers??

just curious if anybody is using a "in person" locator anymore and what is the going rate now??

ron

locating tips and tricks for free!

in person guy here in FL does 30 a stop or $300 for a crane. i never used a telemarketer because

i dont do bulk stuff,from what i understand they use far east call centers and just slam thru business lists

given a zip code.

i have used telemarketing for lead gen and this was very effective for me, i paid a base rate

and a bit extra per appointment. same as i pay my sales guy now. this worked great because

i have a full time job so i dont have time to chase all over town trying to track down owners. so i

just sent him a list of like say all the coin laundries in 3 county radius and he would knock out

appointments. i found i could close about 90% of appointments once i talked to the decision maker. now

i use a guy who goes around in-person and does the same thing since the telemarketer flaked out.

in person guy here in FL does 30 a stop or $300 for a crane. i never used a telemarketer because

i dont do bulk stuff,from what i understand they use far east call centers and just slam thru business lists

given a zip code.

i have used telemarketing for lead gen and this was very effective for me, i paid a base rate

and a bit extra per appointment. same as i pay my sales guy now. this worked great because

i have a full time job so i dont have time to chase all over town trying to track down owners. so i

just sent him a list of like say all the coin laundries in 3 county radius and he would knock out

appointments. i found i could close about 90% of appointments once i talked to the decision maker. now

i use a guy who goes around in-person and does the same thing since the telemarketer flaked out.

Who is your in person in FL that does $30 a stop? Is he any good? Does he work South Florida? What kind of locations does he turn up?

I like locators and plan on using them extensively. The way I look it is it's just another weapon in the arsenal. Today I placed my first machine ever. A double at a pizza joint from Kickstart Locators which cost me 99 cents. When you order locations from these telemarketers you have the ability to specify exactly what types of businesses you don't want as well as best times to schedule machine installations and type of product. Most come with a 60 day guarantee.

I also know that self locating is an absolute must for any sustained level of success, but I see no reason why tele-locating can't have it's place in your route.

When you order locations from these telemarketers you have the ability to specify exactly what types of businesses you don't want as well as best times to schedule machine installations and type of product.

Good luck with that.

The list of vendors who have had their instructions ignored by locators using telemarketing firms is long...very long.

I used a locator for my first 3 location because I had tried to locate myself the first few days and was losing my excitement from all the NO's BUT it was just a temporary solution to keep me from getting discouraged. Once I got down my pitch and my answers to the most common question and settled out of the nervousness of doing something new, I am like Ron, I load my car, am out a 2-3 hours and am back home with an empty car. My average seems to be getting 1/3. Now not saying my results or Ron's are typical, different areas have different variables, saturation, laws and regulations, and aggression of competitors, etc.... I guess what I am saying is that I now believe every operator should be able to locate him/herself even if you use locators, and I do believe there are legitimate reasons for using them, but my experiences are it's not that hard after you get into your comfort zone with it. My biggest decision for believeing this way is that in most cases my own located locations way outperform the ones I bought from a locator.

I just keep reading guys saying "got me a car lot today" or "got me a big break room in a mall" and they are going to install... these are places i would gorilla locate because i either 1>had a whole bunch of machine i needed out ASAP or 2>it was a old machine that was kinda crappy so i wouldnt want to put it in a restaurant ..

The gorilla locating really come to mind on this one.. I mean when i gorilla located i basically walked up to a locating like a Krogers break room and would have the single or double in my hand and say,,heres the gum ball machine ,if they asked anything i would say "I was told to bring it and put it in the break room." and act like i was just a employee doing what i was told...Thats how i gorilla located ...In places where the decision maker is not to be found and its just employees who don't give a rats arse anyway..

so with a telemarketer getting you that location it seems the same to me,,your walking in with a machine that "supposedly" you have permission to place in their establishment..What if the guy never got real permission??? just got a name when he made the call?? sounds very likely to me from what I've been reading on here..

It could go like this...Im the telemarketer and i call say Kohls (as someone mentioned that in a thread) ,, I ask "who is the manager at this store?" and write that name down, "what hours is she at the store in her office?" and make a note of that say answers where Doris and 7-5 everyday except sunday and tuesday. Don't bother talking to Doris because if she does tell you NO then she may get curious if a candy machine shows up in the next few days after she had gave a NO.

Now i call the operator and say,, I got you a Kohls break room,,deliver it on tuesday to the break room ,,if anybody asks you just say Doris is person that gave me approval for machine..

tada !!! YOU ARE NOW A GORILLA LOCATOR!! and you didn't even know it!

of course i don't know if this is how it happens,,just drawing conclusions from reading threads (old threads) and reading results to placing these telemarketing locations they have got..

ron

locating tips and tricks for free!!

I just keep reading guys saying "got me a car lot today" or "got me a big break room in a mall" and they are going to install... these are places i would gorilla locate because i either 1>had a whole bunch of machine i needed out ASAP or 2>it was a old machine that was kinda crappy so i wouldnt want to put it in a restaurant ..

The gorilla locating really come to mind on this one.. I mean when i gorilla located i basically walked up to a locating like a Krogers break room and would have the single or double in my hand and say,,heres the gum ball machine ,if they asked anything i would say "I was told to bring it and put it in the break room." and act like i was just a employee doing what i was told...Thats how i gorilla located ...In places where the decision maker is not to be found and its just employees who don't give a rats arse anyway..

so with a telemarketer getting you that location it seems the same to me,,your walking in with a machine that "supposedly" you have permission to place in their establishment..What if the guy never got real permission??? just got a name when he made the call?? sounds very likely to me from what I've been reading on here..

It could go like this...Im the telemarketer and i call say Kohls (as someone mentioned that in a thread) ,, I ask "who is the manager at this store?" and write that name down, "what hours is she at the store in her office?" and make a note of that say answers where Doris and 7-5 everyday except sunday and tuesday. Don't bother talking to Doris because if she does tell you NO then she may get curious if a candy machine shows up in the next few days after she had gave a NO.

Now i call the operator and say,, I got you a Kohls break room,,deliver it on tuesday to the break room ,,if anybody asks you just say Doris is person that gave me approval for machine..

of course i don't know if this is how it happens,,just drawing conclusions from reading threads (old threads) and reading results to placing these telemarketing locations they have got..

ron

locating tips and tricks for free!!

ron I bet it would be a hoot to ride with you one day! ;D

I had a family friend do that. He would walk in bank lobbies and just plant a machine in the entry way by the ATM.

Out of all the machines he placed, only Wells Fargo called and complained. Lesson learned is always have contact info on your machines.

He made a pretty good haul. Placed around 36 machines as triples

The employees got to know him as he serviced them with fresh product and they never complained and just thought it was approved.

If it was me, I would be afraid of the machine getting tossed by the owners of the location when someone nosy does some research. It worked for him though.

I will add that "gorilla locating" or as I call it "slamming" is not a good idea!

I agree 100%.

I'm no prude...but, if it involves dishonesty I don't want it to be part of my business practices.

I know the business world is for big boys and girls and not all business people have integrity.

But I respect those men and women who achieve their success by honest means and aspire to be one of them.

Telling your location you got permission to deliver a machine when you know you didn't is lying.

Vendors who see no issue with lying to locations do nothing to help the image of the our industry...which, in turn, makes it harder for all of us to locate.

ok,,,there you go!! being a prude for sure. just kidding ..lol ...really?? thats dishonest?? i was just making a point that that is what your probably doing anyway, just from what i read about all you guys going and placing machines from a telemarketer and getting there and the people don't know what your talking about,,that was my point! but if we want to go further in to this.............

as far as lying and being a bad boy i don't see it myself..everybody everyday lies about something,,either by saying it outright or misrepresenting something or several other ways a person lies... If you are a charity gum ball operator then you need to really think about the business practice you are in if your gonna be on a high horse...A charity vendor is a liar in my book really,,thats why I quit doing it! Heck 20/20 even did a show about it and several other newspapers etc have done stories about the charity vendors..I only operate commission and I pay what I say!

Im not even doing this type of vending anymore ,just sharing stories and opinions of when i did...but a charity sticker giving a dollar a month to a charity is a lie..that person who pastes that sign all over his machine saying its charity is lying,,now if you get the location, then don't put a sticker on the machine but have just told the location a portion of the sales goes to charity then you would be stretching the truth(meaning you didn't fully disclose a buck a month goes to charity) but not lying. now if you put a big sign on charity sticker saying "$1 a month goes to this charity" and when you place machine you say "I would like to place this machine here and I give $1 month to this charity if you let me put it here" then you can ride that high horse all day with a smile!!

but if you put that sticker on every machine then you are dealing with numerous souls you could be lying too as they are under the assumption they are donating,if the sticker isn't there then they are just buying candy..

just discussing,,don't be offended even though you threw the first stone I'm not judging just pointing to the fact that this might not be the business for someone if they are that high up on the "high horse"...

The bulk vending business is not a business for someone to be a prude,, even the markup is really a rip off ,,a couple pennies then up to a quarter for a gum ball! is that any way for somebody with integrity to treat his customers?? a cuffs and stuff display showing all those little finger cuffs in the machine tempting some kids for their quarters,,then all they get is a cheap plastic ring..now wasnt that a rip off?? its funny to hear someone in this business act like they are operating a homeless shelter..

all this is OK but just putting a machine that uses no electricity or costs the location anything in a place without permission,,when there isn't even anybody there that can give permission?? I think to talk about integrity and beat the drum of Im so good all issues need to be addressed and this particular one has no victum ..Thats why I don't beat any drums because I have my faults ..but i don't steal,I give the right commission I say I'm gonna and i give good service..

ron

Your math doesn't add up Ron.

Donating "only" a dollar a month per head to a good cause = walking into a business and placing a machine without permission?

In your example above, if the locator is lying to get me in I'm not responsible for that. I was told I had permission and I'm acting on good faith the locator obtained permission. That does not = me lying to the location.

ron

Although I do not advocate Gorilla locating...

I would have to agree with Ron in that some tele-locators don't always get legitimate permission to place the machine. Many times a tele-locator will get "permission" from a lower level employee (who may or may not even be a manager). In this case they are simply getting you a lead that they hope you, the vendor, can close on your own. In some cases a vendor, depending on his sales skills, can talk his way into the location. And yes, some tele-locators will blatantly not get any real permission and simply get a high level manager's name just for reference. Those are ususaly the types of locators that get locations really really fast! So beware of locators that give super quick turnaround - especially if your area is very saturated.

Now to be fair and balanced (aka Fox News!) to the tele-locator, every now and then, the contact that really did approve the machine thought that they had the authority to allow the machine or simply did not think the machine would be "a big deal". I call those people "pretend decision makers". For some reason these people think that they are more important than they really are and they think that they have more decision making authority than they actually have. Maybe they just got some new job title, like "Senior Front Desk Manager"! Or maybe they just want to sound important over the phone to "impress" the locator. It happens. And in that case I really can't fault the locator.

But this practice of not getting legitimate permission is also done by some in-person locators as well. Years ago, I had an in-person locator do exactly as Ron described. He would go into a hotel and ask for the GM (who was rarely available). He would then ask for the GM's business card. The locator would then give me the GM's business card and tell me to place the machine next to the newspaper rack. So me being a bit green back then, I just ASSUMED everything was OK. But a few weeks later (or sometimes a few days later), I would get a call to come and remove the machine. Well in that hotel, I was finally able to talk with the GM and he told me he never talked with anyone (let alone approve) about a candy machine. Of course I got the standard line, "these are not approved by corporate". I told the GM that I had his card. He just smiled and said, "Well I have a stack of business card right here on the counter"! So yes, I was a Gorilla locator and did not even know it. After about 20 locations, I finally realized what this locator was doing and promptly fired him. But I must say that it was amazing how many of those locations actually stayed in for a while.

But these type of practices are not sustainable in the long run, IMHO.

Gorrila locating or "Drop locating" has been going on a long time. Most the time it is in places that nobody as an idea who they need to talk to for permission to locate there. Those would be the most secessful places to do it. I haven't done it but do admit I have thought about it. If your going to do it in a area Like a chain resturant. I would make sure you had enough equipment to cover all the ones in the area. Managers do talk with each other and if you appear at on location you better have a machine at otheres. Found that out from the check cashing places I have. After I placed one in Fremont the Omaha stores wondered where there machine was and it made it easier to get some placed there.

I did get that spot though a locator but flipped it into 5 more stops by following up with the DM. that is one thing you can do also. That is why when I do get a locator I only give them a few zip codes. In hopes I can use it to move into one or two more spots from what I get from them for the route.

I also like using two Locators are us is a litle slower but do ok. Got me 4 locations and my local zip is a hard sell got me 2 in it. First Choice and am getting excited to see how there locations perform on Monday I have yet to have a real gravy of a spot but hope for one or two of the First Choice ones to be.

I want to still work on my self locating skills. I haven't done much direct sales so it will take a little time. I do plan on getting it done though.

Although I do not advocate Gorilla locating... I would have to agree with Ron in that some tele-locators don't always get legitimate permission to place the machine. Many times a tele-locator will get "permission" from a lower level employee (who may or may not even be a manager). In this case they are simply getting you a lead that they hope you, the vendor, can close on your own. In some cases a vendor, depending on his sales skills, can talk his way into the location. And yes, some tele-locators will blatantly not get any real permission and simply get a high level manager's name just for reference. Those are ususaly the types of locators that get locations really really fast! So beware of locators that give super quick turnaround - especially if your area is very saturated. Now to be fair and balanced (aka Fox News!) to the tele-locator, every now and then, the contact that really did approve the machine thought that they had the authority to allow the machine or simply did not think the machine would be "a big deal". I call those people "pretend decision makers". For some reason these people think that they are more important than they really are and they think that they have more decision making authority than they actually have. Maybe they just got some new job title, like "Senior Front Desk Manager"! Or maybe they just want to sound important over the phone to "impress" the locator. It happens. And in that case I really can't fault the locator. But this practice of not getting legitimate permission is also done by some in-person locators as well. Years ago, I had an in-person locator do exactly as Ron described. He would go into a hotel and ask for the GM (who was rarely available). He would then ask for the GM's business card. The locator would then give me the GM's business card and tell me to place the machine next to the newspaper rack. So me being a bit green back then, I just ASSUMED everything was OK. But a few weeks later (or sometimes a few days later), I would get a call to come and remove the machine. Well in that hotel, I was finally able to talk with the GM and he told me he never talked with anyone (let alone approve) about a candy machine. Of course I got the standard line, "these are not approved by corporate". I told the GM that I had his card. He just smiled and said, "Well I have a stack of business card right here on the counter"! So yes, I was a Gorilla locator and did not even know it. After about 20 locations, I finally realized what this locator was doing and promptly fired him. But I must say that it was amazing how many of those locations actually stayed in for a while. But these type of practices are not sustainable in the long run, IMHO.

GREAT!!! you get what i was saying! I was saying "I bet this happens and you don't even know it",,wasn't saying hey everybody needs to start lying to get locations..

I hate when i make a post making comparisons of how "I" assume something is going down and suddenly the front pew members start trying to exercise me from the discussion because either 1> i hit the nail on the head and they didn't want to hear it .. or 2>ignorance is bliss

I am just saying that is how i think it was happening with the telemarketer locators based on you guys stories because I'm not ignorant and not knowing in never bliss to me..

as far as sustainability goes, charity vending in itself is a never ending locating nightmare..charity locations (good ones,not crap mechanics shops and nail salons etc) are always gonna get booted in time by the locations,,yeah sure some might last forever but in my experience they are the easiest ones to get moved to the back room to make space for mine if i start talking commission..I see the doubles ,triples and singles method as the most locating intensive vending machines ever..mostly by losing locations but also by slow or dead weight needing relocation,,and since your already scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as locations go..

Like i said before "ME on my high horse" thinks charity vending is lying and I feel like it is my duty as a human being to clean up all the filthy liars and thieves masquerading as a charitable organization ...I need to educate locations about this and put their little gum ball machines in the back room of what ever location they are in! and then put my new nice rack and crane in their place!!

just kidding on my diatribe there so yaw don't get your feathers ruffled

Your math doesn't add up Ron. Donating "only" a dollar a month per head to a good cause = walking into a business and placing a machine without permission? In your example above, if the locator is lying to get me in I'm not responsible for that. I was told I had permission and I'm acting on good faith the locator obtained permission. That does not = me lying to the location.

what math??? I'm not saying one is as good as the other..

Yeah your clean on not knowing,, but i am the voice in your head that maybe you should question the locator..Ive read numerous posts from way back on this forum and its a repeating story "I showed up with my double and they wouldn't let me place it and didn't even know i was coming." or "I placed the machine on tuesday and friday they called me to remove it and said they gave no permission to place it."...

THE WHOLE STATEMENT on my post was making the comparison that you are the later "gorilla locator" and don't even know it, its your job as its your business and not the locators..

and as far as lying goes they are both lying,,masquerading as a charitable organization and soliciting donations on the basis that YOU are the organization and the machines are owned by the organization so every quarter inserted is a donation is a LIE.. You now have lied to the business saying its for charity and then you are also lying to every single little kid or customer that puts a quarter in your machine......Like i said ,,if you want to save face on that one you shouldn't put a sticker on the machine with the charity's name unless you also put a big sign(not fine little print) on how much of it goes to the charity...

ron

...and as far as lying goes they are both lying,,masquerading as a charitable organization and soliciting donations on the basis that YOU are the organization and the machines are owned by the organization so every quarter inserted is a donation is a LIE.. You now have lied to the business saying its for charity and then you are also lying to every single little kid or customer that puts a quarter in your machine......Like i said ,,if you want to save face on that one you shouldn't put a sticker on the machine with the charity's name unless you also put a big sign(not fine little print) on how much of it goes to the charity...

No way, no how. You are 100% mistaken. Never in any part of my sales pitch or on any of my mrketing material do I claim to BE the N.C.C.S. In fact, I make a clear point of saying for every head I place I make a donation to the NCCS. Your assertion that it's all some degree of a lie just doesn't hold water.

I am not bashing anyone but pointing something out. Ron you have stated you did Gumball spirals when you started. Cost is higher but you also have a option to fill it up and have a very long service time with it. 1-6 months or more Single holds 325-maybe 1000 1" if you have a Larger globe style of machine. That is a Big differance then a spiral that holds a 3-4 thousand gumballs. Service every 3 -6 months pull a couple of hundred and give your commission. I understand that but When you walk in and pull 25 a month and your 25% is 6.25 most people will laugh at that amount. Also 25 in sales - 6.25 for commission I know a few people would laugh at it and wonder if it was really worth it.

I understand the model and do plan on moving into some spirals in the next few months the object into doing commission is making it work for you and the location owner. You are right most don't keep track of when you will be there but if you can hand over a check for 30,40,50 bucks or more they will take notice.

I just want to keep apples to apples

No way, no how. You are 100% mistaken. Never in any part of my sales pitch or on any of my mrketing material do I claim to BE the N.C.C.S. In fact, I make a clear point of saying for every head I place I make a donation to the NCCS. Your assertion that it's all some degree of a lie just doesn't hold water.

Doesn't hold water?? You do understand your customers are the ones inserting the quarters? Not the landlord of your store AKA location owner..

So you have no stickers for your charity on your machines??

Good for you

Ron

I understand that but When you walk in and pull 25 a month and your 25% is 6.25 most people will laugh at that amount. Also 25 in sales - 6.25 for commission I know a few people would laugh at it and wonder if it was really worth it.

the location owners will take the 6 bucks with no problem, you have to think of it like this, you are not the only person handing them 6 dollars, for example if you have a machine in a c-store they make their money a little at the time and at the end of the day it adds up. It's like you 6 dollars doesnt excite you but when you add in the rest of your route it adds up! just something to think about

Archived