peanuts

newheart53

I've been reading quite a bit on here about candy and toys, but no one talks about peanuts. Are they good,bad or what?

Being new I would like to learn from all you vendors, so far you have been very helpfull.

I've been reading quite a bit on here about candy and toys, but no one talks about peanuts. Are they good,bad or what?

Being new I would like to learn from all you vendors, so far you have been very helpfull.

I vend peanuts in one of my locations, it is a bar. They do decent, the ROI isn't too hot but it works. As far as the peanut dust like JCS was talking about, I use Virginia Peanuts which are oiled instead of dry roast. I also have cashews in the same location, actually got a call from them yesterday that the machine needed refilled. They completely emptied the cashews and PM&Ms out. The peanuts were about half empty. Worth a shot in the right location in my opinion.

I found pistachio's for 10.59/lbs shelled. They are cheaper in the shells, but I don't think you would want to vend them with shells. There are about 580 nuts per pound. So..... Your cost per vend would be about 0.15 giving you a profit of 0.10 per quarter. Not exact numbers I am sure, probably pretty close.

Not to good when compared to gum or skittles.

60 vends per month of pistachios = $6.00 profit

60 vends per month gumballs = $11.00 profit

So about 32 Gumball vends makes you the same amount of money as 60 pistachio vends.

I once placed a bunch of single eagle 747 and NW60's in bars with "hot and spicy peanuts" ,my own concoction..I just made a stand/base for machine to sit on with a 2/8 cut into a square and beveled it(so it look like the very bottom of say a pyramid) and mounted machine right on bar top..

There was this bbq rub/spice from memphis called "Wham" seasoning,,don't know if its still available or not and it was the hottest pepper ever,,way hotter than insanity sauce or anything..It secret ingredient was a chinese radish skin plus all the habenero, cayenne etc...it won numerous awards because if you cooked in on pork it basically dissolved it and it was super tender! (just think of what it did to people who ate it!)

I got idea because i was at the local bar shooting pool with a friend and he had some pork skins and sprinkled it on them and wasn't telling people and sharing them like us rednecks do "Hey ron try one of these! yee haw." and of course when i did it lit me up and i drank about 4 beers to get the fire out!

we'll for anybody that knows me my mind immediately when *ding*ding*ding* and i thought how the bar just sold me 4 beers just like that!

so....i visited the company in memphis and bought a couple cases of it ,,went by sams and bought about 20 big cans of planters peanuts, then about 6 bucks a can.. I then would fill big plastic food tubs with peanuts and then the wham seasoning and shake them up so it all got some pepper on them...

It was a dream for a while,,first i placed 10 then 20 more then 50 more etc.. everywhere i went my sales pitch was great about 90% closure as i would say "Hey i want to help you sell more beer and it isn't gonna cost you anything!" and explain how the hot peanuts would make the customer drink more beer to get the fire out... A lot of the places had these "hot nuts" machines already that had heating elements in them and i explained how mine didn't use electricity or attract roaches like those did etc..

The machines where emptying in my monthly cycle then,,I had deep adjustable wheels so about 70 bucks would empty it,took about 20 to fill it up and i didn't pay any commission but i was "more generous" in the serving for not paying the commission..some bars i had 2-4 machines on different places throughout the club..

some would get broken in bar fights etc but i was making bank for a while..

Then disaster struck...I go to place and they are livid,wanting my contact info etc because a pc of the metal adjustable wheel had rusted and broken off into a customers serving and the customer had cut his mouth... I freaked out because this is a long time ago,i was only 22,i was still just in my first couple hundred machines and this was one of my first ventures beyond the world of spirals,,no internet chat rooms,no other vendors for advice, NO LIABILITY INSURANCE!

i immediately went and pulled all of them in next couple days,, and sure enough that pepper/salt combo had rusted all the metal to nothing in just a few months..I had noticed some quarters looked bad where pepper had fallen in with them but being in dark smoky bars i never even took outside to see in light,,i would just fill and grab quarters and leave..

I was gun-shy after that and was paranoid and thought "Im gonna get investigated" and into trouble so i dumped the whole operation..luckily the injury happened to a good ol boy who just took it as a lesson not to eat the bar peanuts and went on and not some young pansy wanting to sue sue sue..which to be honest could've happened as that metal in machine rusting is something i should've noticed.

I thought about revisiting it several times with a all plastic machine but about 2 years later i got robbed and stabbed(not deep life threatening but it broke the skin) at a bar in memphis,I almost shot the guy when i got my glock , got blood in my eyes from bartender smashing guys face with aluminum baseball bat and blood and teeth spraying my face,had to go to court 3 times from robber suing me and bar owner ,had to get HIV, hepatitis tests for next few years etc etc..but thats another story.. and anyway i pulled every machine out of every bar and don't do taverns/bars anymore..

but back to the question before my rant into history...peanuts will go stale ,,only buy the planters (sams used to have them)and not the ones from any vending source,,open them at location,60 days max and dump,make sure that fussy beotch barkeep sees you throw them out too as she is the one that gonna be complaining if you don't ever toss old stock..

dont do pistachios unless you clean empty out container in machine at least every 60 days as they will hatch moths and get in your machines,just think every time you crack that shell in your mouth your eating moth cocoons!! yummy!

cashews are way to expensive,,trail mix has raisins and raisins don't vend,,jet stick in chute,,

gum balls are a lot better all the way around and back again,but if you pass by a bunch of bars thats a lot of peanuts you could sell,,its your call!

ron

locating tips and tricks for free!

I have only 2 locations left with Peanuts and Cashews...they do ok however it's not worth going into a location with them as they go bad too quickly. (Thanks for the story Ron, that was a good one!)

• 3 months later...
Ron, have you ever seen moths in Planter's Peanuts? I did today...it sucked.

Moths in nuts is common. The moth larvae incubate quite nicely in a warm vending globe. To combat this, you have to freeze your nuts to kill off the larvae.

Archived