Bulk Location Jerk

illflowjon

Hello all, just need to vent about a location owner I ran into today. I bought 4 locations from a local guy getting out of the business.

Today I just filled the last location. Went into the resturant with my normal supplies and some business cards. I requested the owner and after a few seconeds he came out.

Refused to shake my hand, stood behind the counter and said "what do you want". I let him know I was taking over the route and if he needed anything let me know.

He asked "so where does the money go?". I said it goes to me, unless you want to work something else out. He said I want 100% to go to the humane society, and if I don't like it I can take my machine with me. He had one in the back he can bring out.

I was professional, agreed and collected the money and cleaned the machine.

I have no intention on keeping the machine in the location. I will be pulling it out next week.

No objections to donations but this seems strange.

Anyone else run into this kind of stuff.

Am I doing the right thing by pulling this machine out?

When you take over a charity route, you DO NOT seek out the owner NOR give out a business card. Simply replace the old contact info (charity sticker) from the machine with your number and service the machine as normal and LEAVE. If someone says something to you, just tell them you are taking over for the other guy and leave it at that. Most business owners don't care about establishing a relationship with a charity vendor that gives no commissions. Let sleeping dogs lie in this case.

IMHO, you have no choice but to remove the machine since you woke up the sleeping dog.

Thats not so bad. I pulled up to a bar location once and when I walked up and opened the door someone threw the machne at me. I picked it up and went in and after a couple of beers and some free candy a collection was taken up to fix the machine. Just gotta go with the flow and don't weaken. PS, I was a lot younger and fearless when that happened, lol.

Seems like he had a bad day. When you buy machines/locations always travel it with the current route owner. They should introduce you to them as the one taking over that way its all out in the open. The last guy could have had issues the owner in that case your screwed. Or the owner could have found out how much from each machine goes to charity and didn't think it was enough. Don't use the term work something out. That makes it sound kinda shady and puts the ball in the owners court. I would explain that your company provides charity or revenue sharing. The big mistake here is not traveling the machines with the seller.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Thats not so bad. I pulled up to a bar location once and when I walked up and opened the door someone threw the machne at me. I picked it up and went in and after a couple of beers and some free candy a collection was taken up to fix the machine. Just gotta go with the flow and don't weaken. PS, I was a lot younger and fearless when that happened, lol.

If they really threw a machine at you, I would have sued for injuries to teach them a lesson..bars have some good liability insurance. :)

On another note it is a good idea to travel routes with the person you are going to buy the route from and feel out the relationship he/she had with his/her locations. If you toured the route first it would have probably saved you a couple hundred bucks on the route value....

why did they throw it at u?

When you buy machines/locations always travel it with the current route owner. They should introduce you to them as the one taking over that way its all out in the open. The last guy could have had issues the owner in that case your screwed.

DING! DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner.

That is SOLID advice.

I once was in the process of buying a small 10 location route and wound up only have to pay for 7 because 3 of the locations asked for the machines to be pulled when the seller was in the process of introducing me to the owners/managers there.

Sure it made me feel a little uneasy about the remaining 7, but because I also met the managers/owners at those 7 locations the conversations I was able to have with them put me at ease

If these are good locations I wouldn't pull them. Just keep quietly servicing them as normal until/if he says "get out". He obviously agreed to have these machines placed in his locations "as is" at one time. If you are running a Humane Society label there then you should be contributing but only an idiot would demand a third party vending operator to give 100% to the charity. Everyday you stay in these locations the closer you are to at least getting your money back for what you bought. I bet if you leave well enough alone you will be in there 5 years from now.

Thanks for all the advice. Especialy going through the route with the former owner, that is something I have not seen on this forum before. Great stuff.

I WILL NOT feel bad about introducing myself t another small business owner.

I don't neeed to be talked down to by anyone. This is a side business with my family and I would never send my wife into this place now.

Thank you very much.

If they really threw a machine at you, I would have sued for injuries to teach them a lesson..bars have some good liability insurance. :)

On another note it is a good idea to travel routes with the person you are going to buy the route from and feel out the relationship he/she had with his/her locations. If you toured the route first it would have probably saved you a couple hundred bucks on the route value....

Well it was a very long time ago, my first vending venture. Some one really did throw the machine at me but it was long enough ago we settled things ourselves with out getting all lawyered up. Besides it was an Indian bar, a lawyer would have been shot on sight, for real.

And I agree, always go with the selling operator.

When you take over a charity route, you DO NOT seek out the owner NOR give out a business card. Simply replace the old contact info (charity sticker) from the machine with your number and service the machine as normal and LEAVE. If someone says something to you, just tell them you are taking over for the other guy and leave it at that. Most business owners don't care about establishing a relationship with a charity vendor that gives no commissions. Let sleeping dogs lie in this case.

IMHO, you have no choice but to remove the machine since you woke up the sleeping dog.

well said Jax

With the seller is good advice whenever possible. Some locations still may be hesitant, but introducing yourself to the manager and saying you bought the route just opens it up to way too many questions. Lesson learned, and hopefully it wasn't a very good location that was lost. To be fair, the idiot probably would've booted you eventually anyway. Sometimes they are only interested in allowing the machine if it is serviced by volunteers paying for their own gas. I don't have the resources to volunteer that way, but I do occasionally buy things at ARC stands because they staff it with volunteers and use 100% of proceeds for charity programs. Sometimes the expectations are just too high. All in all, go with the seller if you can, and if not... just keep your head down.

I agree with lurtsman. Just keep a low profile and let them initiate contact. After I bought part of a route, I thought it would be proper and conscientious of me to introduce myself to all of the location owners. After the first couple of owner's just seemed irritated that I was using their valuable time to give them information about myself that they didn't care about, I decided that on the rest of my route I would just replace contact info stickers and not bother anyone.

I agree with lurtsman. Just keep a low profile and let them initiate contact. After I bought part of a route, I thought it would be proper and conscientious of me to introduce myself to all of the location owners. After the first couple of owner's just seemed irritated that I was using their valuable time to give them information about myself that they didn't care about, I decided that on the rest of my route I would just replace contact info stickers and not bother anyone.

Absolutely! For a charity route, there is little value in introducing yourself to the owner and can cause more harm than good. Most owners simply don't care who services the gumball machine. Many times, the owner may not even know who the original route owner is since he may only service it every 60 to 90 days. So I really don't see the value of having the prior route owner introducing you on a charity route.

Now a commission route is a very different story! In that case you do want the prior route owner to introduce you or at least have a written letter of transfer from the prior owner, IMHO.

After reading you comments I would have to agree. In this situation it was definately a lesson learned. Until I secure a new location I will go in under the radar. I am going to replace the stock with some better Squishland stock and do a quick in and out before anyone knows i'm there. I will keep giving my normal percentage to charity unless somone says somthing.

Who know's maybee I will be forgot about and keep the location.

Thanks for the advice very good information.

Archived