"The End of Men"?

Jax Snacks

Found this article and book review. How bout another fun debate? Is there a Men-Killing asteroid coming?? Is there a link to the Mayan Calendar as well??

Ms. Rosin goes for the jugular in the 3rd paragraph (in bold)!! But hey, if we men go down, it will be with a beer (and remote) in our hands!!! (LOL)

R.I.P. Macho Man!!!

Does a changing economy mean the "End of Men"?

REUTERS — 8:36 AM ET 09/09/12

By Anna Louie Sussman

NEW YORK (Reuters) - For all the bluster of her book's title, "The End of Men: And the Rise of Women," Hanna Rosin is surprisingly ambivalent about whether men are, in fact, doomed.

Women are quicker to adapt to the economy's new demands, Rosin says, pursuing higher education in record numbers and dominating fast-growing professions such as nursing and accounting.

At the same time, men watch the shrinking of manufacturing, construction and other traditionally male industries as if paralyzed, on the couch with a beer in hand.

More than two years of research and reporting, though, have left Rosin unconvinced that the end of men is inevitable.

Here is the entire story and book plug....

http://www.reuters.c...E88807W20120909

I predicted this back in high school(i graduated in 91)..I told my guidance counselor that women would control the world when my generation did (in your 40-50's normally is controlling age),,and I'm 39 now..

I said it because if you looked at the most popular kids in school,, the girls who where pretty and popular also where straight a students or close,,the popular boys may have been handsome but they where in the dumb classes and shop,not the advanced courses...even the smart kids (and i hate to say it but i was really one of them) would play football,never do homework,goof off in class trying to be funny for the girls, and do whatever to be "cool" as that was what the girls where attracted to. Not mature enough to realize the consequences,not stupid just not mature enough to care.

they wherent attracted to the nerd in class..I barely passed high school, but when i took my act i made a 29 and the guidance counselor was all over me for not trying, boy i wished i would have listened.. But testosterone is a "dumbing down" chemical that makes boys dumb....i see it in my 3 teenage boys right now but they won't listen!!! but my 15 year old girl is a great student and still popular?? so it hasn't changed in 20 years yet.

but now heres another twist.... boys outnumber girls by a lot i think,,don't know the numbers but my youngest sons kindergarten graduation last year there where 4 kindergarten classes,,each one had like 4 rows of 5 kids all in clusters across gym...only the front row was girls,,the rest where all boys..I mentioned it to the teacher and she said its been like that for the last few years, they have even talked about it in meetings! girls outlive boys, so that is only thing keeping population equal probably on paper.. also china and india don't want little girls and abort them or let them die etc,not everybody but enough to affect the balance..

so in 20 years your gonna have a bunch of boys with no girls,,lot of "penned up sexual frustration",,it will probably get violent,maybe WW3!!! not over land or resource but over mans favorite hobby ....cant say it here or it will say "golpher" lol.

ron

The advanced classes when I was in high school WERE the traditional shop classes. I graduated in 2000, to give you an idea of when that was. We had a fantastic shop teacher who really knew where the manufacturing world was heading and got all kinds of grants and stuff to get some high tech equipment in our shop. We were doing 3D CAD/CAM in high school shop classes at a time when most schools still had old WW2 surplus lathes and mills. Of the friends I had in those classes, most of us went on to have fairly well paying careers in manufacturing. Though I don't work directly with CAD/CAM manufacturing processes anymore, the skills I developed in my male dominated high school shop classes laid the foundation for what I do now: using 3D laser scanning to digitize objects for conversion to CAD/CAM manufacturing. The business I work for has doubled in size in the last year and will likely double again in the next year.

I think that there are still good livings to be made in the traditional male dominated industries, its just that so many people have bought into the idea that those are low tech industries better left to third world laborers. If you're willing to apply new technologies and take some risk, you can compete with cheap foreign labor. The company I work for is living proof. We're killing our competition (including our Asian competition) and they're all scratching their heads trying to figure out how we do it.

• 4 weeks later...

America is about 52% female. The difference comes from a slightly higher age in natural death and a higher premature death rate for men due to riskier activity. Samples that show otherwise only indicate a small sample size. 30 people is not a viable sample out of 350 million. China and India have lower numbers of women due to gender selecting. Several countries have a failed system that discourages families from having daughters. Failed is an accurate word for it, because the world has changed and the practice is destroying lives.

These practices are largely related to previous periods where the boys were assumed to be more capable of working land hard enough to generate enough food to stay alive. Because starvation was a very real threat, they often murdered their daughters. Ironically, these same countries often required the family who raised a daughter to pay a large fee to the family she married into. The result was that only the most capable of men were capable of having a wife, because culture dictated the woman's family must pay despite the differences in supply and demand. Without the cultural difference the men would have been paying a large premium because most of them wanted to have a wife.

Will women run the world? They'll run a large part of America. The system of men is ending because brute force is no longer in demand. Men can be equally intelligent, but many are not. That is part of a flaw in our genetics that dictates that young girls go after boys based on factors (like strength) that were very important thousands of years ago, but today are fairly unimportant. While obesity is a major health concern in America, the difference between being strong or weak no longer has a huge impact on earning potential. Women are also benefiting from a dramatic increase in the amount of resources available for their education. These resources are available based on data that suggest women earn less than men. That data is a blatant lie. It is a statistic created by taking a sample size that includes women who were not working previously. If a man and woman are both 30 and working in the same position, should they have the same pay? On average, it seems that they should. However, in the real world, we find that if we compare 100 men and 100 women working in that same position, the women on average have significantly fewer years of experience. That is because SOME of them are choosing to raise families and then return to work. The gap in years causes a decrease in their skills related to the job while their coworker was refining his abilities.

Infact, when we account for marital status, children, and years of work experience, women are out earning men in most fields. The challenge is that comparing a woman with 3 years experience to a man with 12 years of experience is ludicrous. By the same margin, a man with 3 years of experience earns less than a man with 12, and he earns less than a woman with 3. The statistic has been pushed so hard that most people believe it without ever bothering to exam the math. The statistics I reference were published by a very well respected economist.

I like that you guys are talking about the new gender gap but you are leaving out the basics. k-12 education is now oriented to the way that females learn, why they are more successful in college and more graduating with degrees now than men. Many of us know the realities you guys are talking about but almost no one is pushing for changes to the system that is now stacked against our gender. If the root cause is not fixed the ratio will continue to skew until men find themselves at the disadvantage. Personally I understood the need for desegregation of male/female establishments but it is well known and documented that men and woman are different, in the way we think, learn, and communicate. I think it's time we start to rethink separating schools into male/female institutions where each can set a learning style and system that is best suited to the students success.

Archived