Coinco S75-9800B problem

ki4fkw

I am not a drink vendor, so please forgive my complete ignorance. I have a 1980s Vendo Coke machine. It sits on my porch for my personal use. It works well.

Anyway . . . It has a Coinco S75-9800B coin changer in it. It worked perfectly for months. Now, when you insert a coin, it drops directly through to the change return. Any coin. It will not allow a vend because it is not counting any of the change. It is just dropping it all. It is plugged in correctly.

I have the user's manual to it and to my knowledge, I haven't done anything to it to make it refuse coins. I am a mechanically inclined person, and if there is something that can be repaired, I will be able to do it, if someone can point out what the culprit is.

Thanks in advance!

As long as there is soda in the machine, your changer is probably bad. Its lost its tuning. Go on eBay and buy an MEI TRC-6800H coin changer which is a direct replacement. Buy a refurbished one. Or, buy one from the classified section of this site:

http://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/classifieds/item/48-mei-trc-6800h-single-price-coin-changer/

S75 was the last mechanical coin mech there is no electronic tuning.

Behind the slug rejecter is the CREM coil, is it energized and pulled back so its fingers are out of the slug rejecter?

Would free play work for you?

Walta

S75 was the last mechanical coin mech there is no electronic tuning.

Behind the slug rejecter is the CREM coil, is it energized and pulled back so its fingers are out of the slug rejecter?

Would free play work for you?

Walta

I had actually narrowed it down to the CREM myself, but I doubt myself due to my lack of knowledge. I remember it buzzing a little before, now it does not. - - - - I just ran outside and checked it. It isn't pulling the "finger" back. I assume that it is supposed to be keeping it pulled back? Can I replace the CREM? If so, where can I find the part at a reasonable price?

I could use free play - IF - it would be easy to swap back and forth, but I'd prefer to use it with coins. I keep it set to a nickel and keep nickels in the return for my friends to use. This particular machine allows me to set the price from 5 cents to $1.55, IIRC, which I'm sure you already know.

The CREM coil may be the problem or more likley a symptom.

First are make sure you are not sold out that will de energize the CREM.

Second a jammed vend motor will de energize the CREM. Check all the vend motors are in the home position and when you push the cam switch it advances to the next slot.

Walta

Well, as of now, all selections are sold out. When the problem first surfaced, I was not sold out. I just ended up filtering all of the drinks into my home refrigerator over time. I'll fill it up and check it again.

• 2 months later...

How can this machine be set to free play? I see on eBay where people sell a coinco plug alone that is set for freeplay. I assume that they have soldered certain wires to each other? Does anyone know how to do this?

For a machine that sits on my porch as a toy, I don't want to spend what everyone is asking for a new changer, to rebuild my changer (which I would prefer) or for a pre-made "free play" plug. If I can be told how to build the free-play thing, I can do it myself.

Again, this is a 1980's Vendo 427 with a Coinco S75-9800B.

• 5 months later...

I have a coinco mech labeled 903030B, I think it's from the s75-9800 family...it has 6 rocker switches with rocker number 6 being $1.60. I have messed with the combinations a hundred times, and looks like it only vends consistently at a quarter. 1/3 on. I want to vend at $2.50, and set it at 2/5/6 (.10+.80+$1.60).. But when I reach 6 or 7 quarters, it vends, sometimes after 8 quarters it vends.. It's brand new and was sealed in the box...of course it's from 1995 though. Any help?

ki4fkw, 

As Walta said, you need to determine if you have a jammed column in your machine that is preventing any coin acceptance.  Since the machine is sold out now, the coin mech would be inhibited anyway.  Does your machine have rotors in each column that the cans fall from or do you have what are called "lowering shelves" in the wide columns?  If lowering shelves, look at every motor to see if one of the nubs on the edge of the white or green cams is pressing on one of the switches for each motor.  If you find one that is not, you need to hold down that column's sold out lever to see if the motor rotates to the home position or you can manually run the motor by moving the longer manual arm of the motor switch away from the switch to start the motor.  If the motor moves, does it now stop in a position identical to the other motors?  If so, does the coin mech now energize the CREM coil?  The S75 changers are no longer repairable as they've been out of production since about 1980.  If you can determine the coin mech is bad then you can set up a free vend switch for the machine to enable a free vend.  Use the following diagram to install the free vend switch, then run sufficient wire to the inside of the front door where you will need to mount the momentary switch for external use.  Remember that this is all 110V and the machine must be unplugged before modifiying the machine. 

Free_play_switch.jpg

I don't think the S75 changer is the problem, but if it is, it is easy to take apart and work on. Make sure all switch arms are free to move and change motor isn't jammed. My junk box is full of these type changers if you need any parts.

JB

Most likely the silver contact in the switched are tarnished.

It may be the price setting switches or the coin switch.

Sometimes if you flip each switch on and off 20 times you clear the tarnish.

In either case I would replace it with something newer Coin CO 9340 or 9360 Mars 6800.

Walta

Archived