A Twist on Single Head Strategy...

Lee M

What if you ran single head machines ...but swapped out the product for something else each month?  You could even "ask" the location what they WANT ... thus building some anticipation for the new treat of the month. 

For example ...let's say you started off with Reeses Pieces in month #1 ... then switched to PMM's in month #2 ... then switched to Skittles in month #3.

Thereby you're still giving the customer a CHOICE .... in the form of something "NEW" each month.  

As a result, would you see an increase/bump in sales?  (People want to try the new treat of the month!)  The reverse of what you see ...decrease in sales... when you guys report that month #2 doesn't do as good as month #1 in a location from the simple standpoint ...customers see a machine, naturally try it out, then may not do so as much the next month.

DISCLAIMER: Remember, I'm NOT an actual operator YET - just a marketing guy looking into bulk vending.  So you guys have the real FACTS based on actual operation.   

Lee

I would think that depends on the type of location. If the machines catered to the general public, say in the wating room of a tire shop then there is no way to know what people want, I'd simply change each month until I find a candy that sells best at that location and then stick with that product. Changing every month just for the sake of doing it doesn't sound feasible since its not the same people buying each day in most cases.

In an office situation say in a breakroom where your clientele are the same day to day I'd ask them what they think of your idea. If they like it then try it. Otherwise just use what sells best at that location.

This stratagy could actually hurt you.

Lets say you have a single head running m&m peanut, you may have 2-4+ consistant daily customers who buy so, if you swap products, you may actually be loosing thoses customers, maybe you'll get more but maybe the new product will just die.

Like the old saying goes...'if it aint broke, dont fix it', of course, if it isnt selling then you gotta find a product that will and if you cant,  re-locate.

Jimbo

im sry i dont liek the idea,

all the work of loading heads each month into the car, then brng them in , and switching them

so much work wouldnt even be worth the few quarters,

and also if u want to give them a variety get a......... TRIPLE HEAD MACHINE!  lol

ncie idea tho!

That's WHY ... all of YOU are the experts! 

You're actually operating a business and know what works, and what doesn't based on real life experience! 

Thank you all for the comments and clarifications... sheds light on my idea (a not so good one at that!)  :D

Lee

Actually Lee I'm going to go against the grain. If you have a location doing $15.00 a head you're going to assume that it is a good location. But if yoy were to switch out one of the heads on a rotation cycle and it went up you would know that it is a great location. As you do this you will most definitely find the best product for each location and adjust your rotation for it.

It's the logistics that get in the way, machines all have to be the same, you must carry a variety of product, another thing to keep track of...

I'm doing something similar but it is a season rotation, and I'm not so concern about acceptance as I am of getting my product selection down and limiting spoilage. But as the seasons change so will my product, at this early venture it is being accepted by the locations.

Grumpy