Touching Up Chrome?

Cloudedjourney

I couple of my beaver machines (the tall rectangular ones) have a thin chrome trim that is rusting and chipping off. I was thinking i could just sand off the bad areas and touch it up, but all I can find is chrome spray-paint. Is it possible to buy small amounts of chrome paint that i can use to touch it up? or should i just sand it and paint leave it a dull gray colour? I think the trim is just plastic. Any help would be much appreciated!

I couple of my beaver machines (the tall rectangular ones) have a thin chrome trim that is rusting and chipping off. I was thinking i could just sand off the bad areas and touch it up, but all I can find is chrome spray-paint. Is it possible to buy small amounts of chrome paint that i can use to touch it up? or should i just sand it and paint leave it a dull gray colour? I think the trim is just plastic. Any help would be much appreciated!

Go to a hobby store that sells model airplanes and cars. You can buy a small bottle of chrome and a small brush there.

• 4 weeks later...

How did the chrome paint work out?

• 3 weeks later...

woo woo woo if your trying to make this look presentable then touch up is not the way to go---just sandblast it down to bare then if you want to use chrome paint then use it but spray the whole thing.

I did get some chrome paint from a model store, was planning on sanding it all down, and repainting it. It was just the trim that was really rusty, the lid is stainless steal and looks fine. Christmas was crazy with my work because I work on call so i was filling shifts like crazy the whole month. Now i'm in Mexico for a week! When I get back I plan on getting back at it it and getting the painting done. It's on my 5 way rack which I don't see placing to soon, I'd rather get my doubles out, and try to upgrade one that does well. Had a bad experience doing some locating in the beginning of Dec, but gotta man up and get back out there :)

Archived