MDB " I don't know what it is but I want it"

moondog

I've been doing full line vending for a couple of years now and I'm trying to understand exactly how MDB relates to vending machines. I understand that it is a computer term referring to a protocol that allows multiple peripherals to plug into one mother board (control board to us), but how do you know if your vending machine is MDB protocol compatible? (and how much does it matter)

For me, it's just a question of which BA's and mechs to use ( I don't do plastic yet ). Most of my BA's and mechs are 120v but I have one machine that has a 120v BA paired with a 34v mech. Some of my Coinco 9302Gx's have MDB stamped on them and some do not - I've swapped them around and it didn't seem to matter.

Is there a simple answer? If not, is there a more complex answer? Or will I be condemned to eternal darkness ( at least concerning this issue )

I've been doing full line vending for a couple of years now and I'm trying to understand exactly how MDB relates to vending machines. I understand that it is a computer term referring to a protocol that allows multiple peripherals to plug into one mother board (control board to us), but how do you know if your vending machine is MDB protocol compatible? (and how much does it matter)

For me, it's just a question of which BA's and mechs to use ( I don't do plastic yet ). Most of my BA's and mechs are 120v but I have one machine that has a 120v BA paired with a 34v mech. Some of my Coinco 9302Gx's have MDB stamped on them and some do not - I've swapped them around and it didn't seem to matter.

Is there a simple answer? If not, is there a more complex answer? Or will I be condemned to eternal darkness ( at least concerning this issue )

MDB is the greatest thing since sliced bread for vending. ;D As you said, Its a universal data exchange protocol that allows the units to communicate with each other but also makes them interchangeable. In theory, at least, any MDB designated mech or dbv can be exchanged with another without a change in harness or compatibility issues. You also need to have, as I understand it, MDB equipped machines in order to utilize the new whiz bang technology like accepting CC/debit and remote monitoring. It only is significant if you plan to implement this technology. For me, I made the decision a few years back to only buy machines that were MDB and DEX capable with the plan to one day implement this technology in my business. It means passing on a lot of good deals on older equipment but that's not where I want to go anymore.

Another benefit is fewer parts to maintain in inventory.

I have found on occasion that the interchangeability does not always work well on older machines that have been updated.

Thanks Mission

Good info but I'm not going to let it go that easy.

Let's say I've got an AP7600 (or a bunch of them). Are they MDB compatible? If they are do I need to add an after market product to actually acheive MDB staus? Would Ba's and mechs that are MDB compatible also work in machines not so upgraded?

Like you, I also don't want to be purchasing equiptment that's technically obsolete the day I get it. I can make them look "pretty" but in the long run, that don't get it.

Ps. Dex is next

All coin mechs and BA with the small 6 pin connector are MDB coin mechs.

All 9302GXs are MDB mechs.

Is equipment without MDB obsolete? Only if you find it necessary to accept credit cards or install a bill recycler. 5 years ago 1% of machines took cards and no one had a recycler today the numbers are different more like 5% and 1% but we all see the trend.

If you find it necessary accept CC there are kits to add MDB functions that work with most machines.

Adding DEX will require update boards.

Walta

Thanks Mission

Good info but I'm not going to let it go that easy.

Let's say I've got an AP7600 (or a bunch of them). Are they MDB compatible? If they are do I need to add an after market product to actually acheive MDB staus? Would Ba's and mechs that are MDB compatible also work in machines not so upgraded?

Like you, I also don't want to be purchasing equiptment that's technically obsolete the day I get it. I can make them look "pretty" but in the long run, that don't get it.

Ps. Dex is next

We upgraded a ton of our older Ap's(6000's mostly) with inOne technologies kits to get MDB and Dex out of our machines. With Dex and MDB we are able to get machine level alerts from our remote monitoring equipment and keep our machines at a higher working level. Unfortunately you will need the kit to get a machine like this to take MDB. There are also boards that convert micromech to MDB but dont waste your time, they are almost as expensive as the above board but without as many options.

Also these kits give you the option to add a vend sensor for product delivery. We now use both VE's and inOnes kits and they are both great products.

Thanks guys - it makes more sense now.

What I'm hearing is that you actually have to buy the after market kit to achieve MDB status but the BA's and mech's that are MDB compatible will work even if you don't have the MDB kit installed.

I actually have a couple of machines with the inOne kit installed but connection looks like it accepts some kind of hand held device which I don't have. It's not a USB style connector where you could download info to a toggle, your PDA phone or a laptop. I'll check out inOne and maybe, if the handheld device is not too steep, I'll pick one up and play around with this a little.

One last question; Is there a list of MDB compatible machines, Ba's and mechs? If not, are there any good rules of thumb to determine this?

Thanks again

We upgraded a ton of our older Ap's(6000's mostly) with inOne technologies kits to get MDB and Dex out of our machines. With Dex and MDB we are able to get machine level alerts from our remote monitoring equipment and keep our machines at a higher working level. Unfortunately you will need the kit to get a machine like this to take MDB. There are also boards that convert micromech to MDB but dont waste your time, they are almost as expensive as the above board but without as many options.

Also these kits give you the option to add a vend sensor for product delivery. We now use both VE's and inOnes kits and they are both great products.

I've got a couple of the VE boards on some AP machines, have not added the sensor vend to it though. Just wondering why VE AND Inone, wouldn't just one or the other keep things simpler from a parts perspective?

I've got a couple of the VE boards on some AP machines, have not added the sensor vend to it though. Just wondering why VE AND Inone, would just one or the other keep things simpler from a parts perspective?

We started using inOne before Ve came out with their board. Then I grew a bit of a relationship with VE after using their VEconnect touch screen machines, which have these boards in them as well. Even though I was on the tail end of upgrading machines, we decided to start using the VE board because of the touch screen machines. I plan on adding 6 more touch screen machines in February to an account and it just seemed right to make a shift so that we could keep more spare boards then for just a few machines. Keep in mind that we have over 25 inOne retrofit boards in the field and have only had trouble with one in the past 3-5 years. The VE boards I only started using last year, but so far all 5 of them have never had any issues and 2 are in a very rough account with tons of dirt, grease, and angry workers ;D . I cannot say bad about either board or company and both experiences were fantastic!

Also the VE boards with sensor are a bit cheaper and a lot easier to install the vend sensor part. It only has one board on the side and uses reflective tape and magnets.

What I'm hearing is that you actually have to buy the after market kit to achieve MDB status but the BA's and mech's that are MDB compatible will work even if you don't have the MDB kit installed.

I'm not in the US, so it may be different, although I cant think why.

In my AP112 I've added an MDB note acceptor by using a coin mech that has dual protocols. The mech connects to the machine using Executive (Protocol A), and connects to the Note Reader via MDB. The 2 mechs I have like this are a Mars CF 690 and a Coinco Guardian 6000.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing to an old Wurlitzer machine that uses Exec only.

I have also trialled using the mech in this mode in a Crane National 797 (which has both protocols available in the machine), just to prove it works.

I'd try to find out if any coin mechs available to you also have this dual protocol availability.

Not a long term solution if you want to go to DEX, but a workable one to get a note reader working.

Archived