First refurb! (Be gentle)..

howella66442

This is my first attempt at refurbing anything so here goes. I picked up an A&A PO89 for free (friend of a friend was gonna throw it away. Inital pics and post pics will post after explanation. The initial machine had tons of surface rust and god aweful gold paint and was setup for candy. I was unsure at first since almost every part other than base and mech needed to be replaced. Knowing now i am glad, it seems those are the two most expensive parts. I started by taking apart the entire machine. Cleaned as good as possible with soap and warm water. The stains were sun baked in.. Used fine sanding paper to put a haze on the existing horrid paint and smooth it out. Wash/Rinse again. I bought a primer and paint in one from Krylon (Banner Red). It was my first time painting as well. This was the part that scared me most. I took an extra amount of time and just lightly covered the entire base once, then waited 15 minutes, then again, wait 15 minutes. after about 5 or 6 more times of this i was very surprised that i had no running at all. I let it dry for 24 hours even though it states completely dry in 25 minutes. I was like a new kid on christmas morning when i went out to the garage to see if it was going to be a good day or if I needed to go to the hardware store for a case of sanding paper. I was astonished at how well it dried. I think once i buy a house with a garage i will attempt powder coating.

I called A&A to order a new gumball wheel setup and globe. Being my first machine i had no idea what i needed. The young lady on the phone, Cindy, Was extremely helpful. When she asked what part i needed, i think i surprised her when i stated I really dont know which part, or for that case, which model machine i actually had. After about 5 minutes she told me exactly what i needed. When she told me the total I actually asked her if she was sure that was right. $13 and some change for complete changover from candy to gum and a new globe.

The parts arrived today. Got the machine put back together and bought my first case of gumballs. I have to hide them or i think i will have to take my 6 year old daughter to the hospital for diabetic ketoacidosis.. Did twenty or so test vends. shined up the outside coin mech with never-dull ( Used this stuff in the army) Phenominal.. Looks almost new.

Here are some pics of before and after. Since there are size requirements i will post in them in the next two postings. And Thank you everybody one here for the very educational postings. I would have been lost without them.

Before:

Post refurb:

post-5541-0-83740200-1354567703_thumb.jpg

post-5541-0-75824800-1354567711_thumb.jpg

post-5541-0-66440300-1354567784_thumb.jpg

post-5541-0-09013200-1354567789_thumb.jpg

Thank you. I ordered the price stickers. I just picked up 2- 4' spiral gumball machines (dont know which brand) that i will have to order the globes for. Also picked up what i believe are 2- oak vista's (not sure yet though) and a new (but stored and dusty/dirty) selectivend triple head. I am looking all over for the candy settings for this machine, but all it really needed was to be fully dissassembled, cleaned, polished, and reassembled. It looks as if i just got it off the showroom floor now.

Again, i appreciate everybodys assistance in helping to assist me in my first business venture.

howella66442

• 5 months later...

If you're serious about painting,  the Campbell Hausfeld HVLP system is a good way to go.  The #2002 model was rated as best value from Wood Magazine, costs about $220 and has everything you need.  HVLP sprayers don't require a spray booth and are very easy to use.  I think that the powder coat systems are much more money - you'd need to be doing a lot of bulk machines to make one cost effective.

This is my first attempt at refurbing anything so here goes. I picked up an A&A PO89 for free (friend of a friend was gonna throw it away. Inital pics and post pics will post after explanation. The initial machine had tons of surface rust and god aweful gold paint and was setup for candy. I was unsure at first since almost every part other than base and mech needed to be replaced. Knowing now i am glad, it seems those are the two most expensive parts. I started by taking apart the entire machine. Cleaned as good as possible with soap and warm water. The stains were sun baked in.. Used fine sanding paper to put a haze on the existing horrid paint and smooth it out. Wash/Rinse again. I bought a primer and paint in one from Krylon (Banner Red). It was my first time painting as well. This was the part that scared me most. I took an extra amount of time and just lightly covered the entire base once, then waited 15 minutes, then again, wait 15 minutes. after about 5 or 6 more times of this i was very surprised that i had no running at all. I let it dry for 24 hours even though it states completely dry in 25 minutes. I was like a new kid on christmas morning when i went out to the garage to see if it was going to be a good day or if I needed to go to the hardware store for a case of sanding paper. I was astonished at how well it dried. I think once i buy a house with a garage i will attempt powder coating.

I called A&A to order a new gumball wheel setup and globe. Being my first machine i had no idea what i needed. The young lady on the phone, Cindy, Was extremely helpful. When she asked what part i needed, i think i surprised her when i stated I really dont know which part, or for that case, which model machine i actually had. After about 5 minutes she told me exactly what i needed. When she told me the total I actually asked her if she was sure that was right. $13 and some change for complete changover from candy to gum and a new globe.

The parts arrived today. Got the machine put back together and bought my first case of gumballs. I have to hide them or i think i will have to take my 6 year old daughter to the hospital for diabetic ketoacidosis.. Did twenty or so test vends. shined up the outside coin mech with never-dull ( Used this stuff in the army) Phenominal.. Looks almost new.

Here are some pics of before and after. Since there are size requirements i will post in them in the next two postings. And Thank you everybody one here for the very educational postings. I would have been lost without them.

Before:

Post refurb:

That thing looks awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I found my first gumball machine on eBay. The one I remembered as a kid - the Oak Acorn. I've been restoring these things now for several months. I'm up to a whopping 12 machines. I love these things! They just grow on you after a while, or maybe it's just silly me. Of course the wife thinks I'm nuts! Anyway, enjoy!

Archived