Thinking of buying first full line vending machine

jpvending

Looking on CL there is a machine on location that does both snacks and drinks - they are asking $350. They said it is currently priced at .50 and that in the location the people can't afford much more - but the price is adjustable on the machine. It is an older machine - he's had it on location for 5 years and has never had any issues. He had it professionally serviced six months ago - including recharging it. He has to refill it with snacks/sodas once a month during the winter and twice a month during the summer (when it's hot and they drink more sodas). It is approximately an hour and a half from my house and would be the only machine I have in that area.

So far I've only done bulk vending. This seems like a good deal and a good way to try out full line vending. But thought I'd ask for opinions from those in the know.

My main complaint would be the distance. I hate driving.

There are a number of things wrong with this deal.

1. Solo combo machine accounts cannot make much money due to their small capacity. Experienced vendors will only use them as a satellite machine on a larger account (think management office on a large blue collar account).

2. At 50 cents, there's nothing you can sell for any kind of reasonable profit.

3. If the current owner is only servicing it once a month in the winter and twice a month in the summer, how on earth is this machine making any money at all? Do the math, count the total capacity x the price less your product cost and you'll see that this is a "no go"

4. You would be very lucky to cover your gas expense. How about the next time you need it "professionally serviced"

It's good that you're looking to branch out. The easiest profitable way to get into "full line" vending is to get a soda only account. You'll pay a little more than $350 upfront but soda machines are easy stock and maintain - a good transition from bulk. I believe that this would provide you with a more positive educational experience.

Final tip - only buy US made machines. Unless this combo machine is a National or AP, no serious vendor would want it.

Agree with Moondog. You need to know that if freon was added to the machine then it has a leak and will need serviced again unless the leak was fixed. Freon does not just evaporate out of a system, it leaks out through a small pin hole or loose connection. Could take a month or could take years.. You never really know. Not enough profit (if Any) to mess with here. I wouldn't touch it if I where you.

moondog: Could you please explain a bit more about your comment.

" It's good that you're looking to branch out. The easiest profitable way to get into "full line" vending is to get a soda only account. You'll pay a little more than $350 upfront but soda machines are easy stock and maintain - a good transition from bulk. I believe that this would provide you with a more positive educational experience."

thank you

moondog: Could you please explain a bit more about your comment.

" It's good that you're looking to branch out. The easiest profitable way to get into "full line" vending is to get a soda only account. You'll pay a little more than $350 upfront but soda machines are easy stock and maintain - a good transition from bulk. I believe that this would provide you with a more positive educational experience."

thank you

Soda machines are easier to service than snack machines because you only have 8 to 10 products that have about an 8 month shelf life. They also tend to be more profitable than snack machines.

Snack machines are more difficult for someone just getting into full line vending because of all the products required to stock the machine properly (30 to 40 items). In addition, many of the snack items will only have a 2 month shelf life where a few might be good for as long as 6 months. In order to buy these items in bulk you'd need at least 5 snack machines to achieve a good flow where you're not having to pull a lot of stales. You can make good money with snack machines but you really need to work it. For me it takes about three months to determine what mix works for each individual account. Once you get the perfect mix right for, in my case 11 accounts, now you've got 80 items to stock and distribute economically so you're not getting killed by the stales.

I could pretty much write a book on this subject but hopefully this will answer your question.

makes sense, thanks

I was looking more at you comment about paying $350 upfront.

I am assuming this amount is to purchase a used machine and then have it located either my yourself or a service?

looking forward to the book !!!

A clean multipriced soda machine will run you $800 to $1,000 - already placed figure a couple hundred more. You can get a single price one for less but you'll severely limit

your future ability to place that machine

Archived