Moving Cranes Around

mainor5251

Looking to buy a crane in the next week or 2 and was wondering if this trailer would be a good purchase at only $200 I can't see going wrong, I would have to buy some tarps and bungee cords so weather would not be an issue. I have a 5x8 cargo trailer now but don't want to have to lay cranes down to transport or even have to unload all the bulk machines and product every time. I know ideally a box truck with a lift gate would be the ticket but can't afford something like that right now. This utility trailer is 3.5'x7.5'.

post-1725-0-83164900-1355161812.jpg

post-1725-0-69949200-1355161823_thumb.jpg

it will work in good weather just protect the sides

i would cut pool noodles in C shapes and zip tie them down the sides like rails

so the cranes are ratchet tied to the sides but cannot rub due to the 3 rows of pool noodle bumpers

also make sure the floor of the trailer is WOOD!!!

if the floor is the same metal lattice work that the drop gate is made of

the wheels of the cranes will get stuck and its a pita...

breaking off wheels or worse they poke thru the metal and its stuck.

change it to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick wood to roll on

i used to use a simular trailer 4x8 for cranes and the sides unprotected would make a huge scratch on the back and sides of the cranes

theres nothing wrong laying a crane on its back just take out the coinbox and push the trolly and claw to the back wall and zip tie them so they dont move

bill

it will work but getting cranes up the drop trailer ramp is a big huge pain. i would suggest a piece of playwood to put over the expanded metal so it rolls up there easy. for $200 u cant really go wrong im sure u can resell it for that

the advantage over a lift gate is u can pack bigger cranes like 60" on there . i am limited to 31" cranes on my gate. honestly if u dont move them THAT much why not just rent the trailer from u-haul its only like $19 a day , and that way u dont have to deal with storing it.

as far as a box truck i actually dont prefer it unless u have a real tall one, most box trucks ive used the cranes wont fit the door clearance so u have to tip them and it is real tricky to get them in there. every arcade game mover around here uses a pick up even betson does their deliveries in an f350 with a gate. just put some tarps over the equipment

I always move my cranes on their back. Just make sure to put the gauntry all the way back against the mirror. Before you tilt it back put a blanket between the claw and mirror.

I strap the crane to my dolley and use the dolley as leverage to tilt it up and slide it into the bed of my truck.

I always move my cranes on their back. Just make sure to put the gauntry all the way back against the mirror. Before you tilt it back put a blanket between the claw and mirror.

I strap the crane to my dolley and use the dolley as leverage to tilt it up and slide it into the bed of my truck.

I would also take some angle iron and weld an A-frame to the front so that it is supported higher up. We use a 6x14 enclosed trailer and rent a 26' truck with lift gate if it is a big move.

on my pickup i have it set up with the front part of a ladder rack so i have some support to ratchet strap to,yeah they have higher center of gravity and can topple over if strapped low down

when i first started moving cranes around i used a trailer like this...im a welder by trade so i welded side rails all the way around even with top of gate when its closed..I put pipe insulation(sorta like the noodle thing he mentioned) around top rail and duct taped it completely..I still have it and could use it tomorrow if i needed to.

I really didnt have any problems gettting machines to roll up expanded wire ramp,just got to hone your technique when moving cranes...

tip one>>> use one of your feet like a small fork lift to pick up crane wheels when going over a threshold and your pulling crane by handles...

tip two>>> when going up that ramp plant one foot and stand sideways and pull crane over from its side to you on your hip to get front wheels up ramp then push with your hip and thigh at low point of gravity on crane,it rolls right up..if you try to just push it or pull it youll fight the heck out of it..

of course the natural thing is to just fight it and move it and think its so hard to move, you learn these little back saving techniques after you just try it sometime and think "Dang ,why havent i done it this way all along."

I also used to use a dodge caravan, the long grand caravan body with that extra room behind back seat to move cranes one at a time ..it sure saved on gas when you just have one to set way off..i could also haul two of my pushers in the van like this also..easy to get the cranes in,but a hassle trying to stand back up as you couldnt get under but one side if you where by yourself..

ron

I have a made a similar trailer but 4' sides and drop down gate, 2X10 floor, I bought a cheap 12v winch at harbor frieght for the big cranes like 42+ rainbows etc that wiegh a lot, I can move anything by myself with the winch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's my rig...diesel Ford F-350 with 8' bed, headache rack with side rails that span the entire length of the bed with d-rings welded to side rails every 2 feet, and a hydraulic liftgate with foldout extension(60" x 38" platform). I easily move video games, cranes, drink machines, pool tables etc with just one other person. Yes, double/triple unit cranes and other oversized machines are hard to keep on the liftgate, but still easier than the trailer/ramp I used for 9 years.

Here is what I use. I own a truck and lift gate, but its hard to move big cranes alone and it feels unsafe.

This trailer is a JLG triple L. The deck lowers completely down. There is no axial between wheels. Nothing is safer or easier than this period

http://www.jlg.com/en-US/Model.html?BaseProductLineNodeId=c662180a-b3fa-45f8-b066-07980981e2ba&ProductLineNodeId=1faa711c-7ec1-417c-a4f3-5ef67cb412a6&GroupProductLineNodeId=bc2fd324-a965-4f8c-8a30-630b47ee24a7&ModelId=760e4664-8ea3-41f3-916e-104c1e6c2358&ProductRootMenuId=d39badf6-70c2-4fa3-a03c-268cb1f085d7

post-6473-0-67574300-1358103943_thumb.jpg

post-6473-0-13496600-1358103999_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

i prefer the foldout lift gate, not sure how u think its dangerous unless u got the 27" like i have and ur trying to get a 60" crane on it

unfortunately i cant get the foldout fitted on my f150 so i suppose ill have to upgrade trucks at some point , but with the bigger gate you can easily get a 60 " ,pool table, etc.. on there. not sure how you say its dangerous.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the posts, and i was thinking about dropping some change for a truck with a tommy lift. I would need a different trailer than what i have which does have 4 foot sides but the gate is that corregated metal and it is a royal pain in the butt to roll something like a pinball machine over.  Question for you folks with box trucks and hyraulic lifts: what kind of routes do you have to justify a $5-10,000 enclosed truck?

Unless you are doing large sets at once I couldn't see justifying a box truck. Insurance and just general upkeep isbt chrap on one. Ours sits sometimes 2-3 weeks then it might be on the road everyday for a week. We have 2 16' enclosed trailers that get used pretty regular. For a small route though you can't go wrong with lift gate truck.

agree with last post... I have isuzu NPR and its the only box truck a person should own doing vending as i can turn around on a dime.. it is easy to get in and out of small diners parking lots, can park in regular parking space etc.. I also have extended back door that is tall enough to get tall games in and out (a must have)..

but...i dont want it anymore!!  i would be better off with enclosed trailer and just pickup with tommy lift.. I only use the box truck every couple weeks as fuel is too expensive to run routes out of!  Now in TN the DOT has merged with Highway patrol and they have changed the weight form 15K to 10K max for regular license..my truck is 12K so i have to stop at scale houses, i have to run DOT number on truck and have it inspected etc. I also have to have Heart card on my license!!

so i want to get rid of it as it is not worth all this hassle! but it sure is nice when delivering heavy  machines like driving videos  etc.

ron

lift gate truck is great for doing installs with small batch of equipment 1-4pcs i am a terrible driver normally

and i cant drive with a trailer to save my life. i am debating trading my truck for a stepvan with  a tommy lift

because the pick up blows as a service vehicle. if you are getting a pick up u need either a trailer or a cargo van 

to do your servicing. IMO a step van with a lift gate is a good middle ground

also with the tommy gate make sure to get the flip out extension

I run a base model Dodge 1500 with a tommy gate for moving equipment around.  I would have gone 3/4 ton but they were giving these trucks away when I bought it.  It has a custom headache rack and rails to tie down to and I can fit 3 cranes in it if I am pushing my luck.  Not good for having to move a ton of equipment all at once.  I have rented a Penske truck with a liftgate in the past for the times I had to move a lot at once.  Sprinter van for overall route servicing.

Archived