Why are claw machines such trash magnets?

caserri

I'll admit it, I've never played a crane in my life. Why? I guess because I've never seen one that ever had anything but crap in it. I mean really, what would possess anyone to dump a roll of quarters in a machine in hopes of getting some stuffed piece of garbage or a defective ipod knockoff? Why not take that roll and just go buy what you want. It'll take less time and you won't look like a clueless loser hunkered over that machine when I walk by you at Walt Mart.

99% of the people I see slobbering all over these pieces of golpher are overweight golpherholes who stink of cigarettes and failure. Their 17 kids are usually 50 feet away from them picking chewed gum off the wheels of a shopping cart. But the sloths addicted to the crane can't be bothered to pay attention to them. After all, snagging that knobby ball on the 50th try is way more important than parenting!

Everytime I go into walmart and see these degenerates lined up at these machines I just want to kick them all in the golpher.

Its not the claw machine,,,its walmart in general !! nothing like seeing fat arses riding around on scooters in walmart and you just want to ask, "why are you handicapped?" because youll know the answer would be their knees are bad or something...all the while they are piling junkfood in their scooter shopping cart and paying with a EBT card because they are on disability and food stamps...

people say dont stereotype because its wrong but the picture is always the same it seems.. The best locations for cranes,pusher or "border line" gambling machines are always places where low income people gravitate..thats why laundromats are so good, not because people have time to kill and quarters in their hand, but because the clientale/stereotype match up..

ron

It's their money and their time...neither is any of my business.

They aren't asking for my suggestions.

So, I don't spend my time getting worked up over what doesn't concern me.

Actually, it probably "is" my money.

I love stereotyping. Its one of the worlds most accurate assessment tools. Ive found that stereotypes are usually true.

People stereotype me as an insensitive prick. A 1st class golpher.

No argument here.

To say you dont stereotype is bull..everybody stereotypes, its a survival instinct that is built into your very genome..back when people's biggest threats where animals the stereotype was born.."should i go play with that lion? or bear?" .."No son you shouldnt because i think those animals will kill and eat you."..."But mom,have you actually ever seen a bear or lion eat anybody?"!!!!!

To not stereotype entirely about people would be suicidal or a mental impairment that should be addressed by a psychiatrist ...To say you dont stereotype about people at all would mean you think it would be ok to go into the middle of a street in say Riyadh,Saudi Arabia and be wearing a I love Jesus shirt..

dont confuse stereotyping with racism or other hate stuff..stereotyping is not about what your "born with" but what you choose and patterns you grow up in because of your environment...

most vending does better in low income areas in general because people arent good at making long-term money decisions. that said, its not actually that hard to win the game if u know what ur doing, and its not set on a super weak claw. i win on my 1st or 2nd attempt most times since getting into the biz

anyway i assumed this topic would be a bit different. my machines are always full o ftrash, ive found mcdonalds fries in the prize door, chips in the coin mech return, candy wrappers all kind of stuff

most vending does better in low income areas in general because people arent good at making long-term money decisions. that said, its not actually that hard to win the game if u know what ur doing, and its not set on a super weak claw. i win on my 1st or 2nd attempt most times since getting into the biz

anyway i assumed this topic would be a bit different. my machines are always full o ftrash, ive found mcdonalds fries in the prize door, chips in the coin mech return, candy wrappers all kind of stuff

Thats what I thought about the post too! I don't categorize the licenced plush I run as trash.

I have noticed the same with lottery ticket sales. The majority of tickets are purchased by lower income people. What really saddens me is that (at least in WV) a portion of the proceeds fund what is the Promise scholarships. Which kids do well enough in high school to obtain a high enough average to be eligible for it? It is usually not the lower class kids, it is the meddle income and upper income families. So, the way I see it the lower income people are footing the bill on the middle and upper incomes kids college tuition. That is sad. Just my .02.

I have noticed the same with lottery ticket sales. The majority of tickets are purchased by lower income people. What really saddens me is that (at least in WV) a portion of the proceeds fund what is the Promise scholarships. Which kids do well enough in high school to obtain a high enough average to be eligible for it? It is usually not the lower class kids, it is the meddle income and upper income families. So, the way I see it the lower income people are footing the bill on the middle and upper incomes kids college tuition. That is sad. Just my .02.

yes just like the mortgage interest tax deduction, its reverse robin hood economics, rob from the poor to

give to the rich. oh well, not my business to judge

I wouldn't say my merchandise is crap neither...

The angry birds I am running right now are very nice looking ,retail quality. They probably retail for 15-20 and if someone wins in 7-10 dollars,not so bad.

Vendors who use crap and don't let anyone win really don't have a clue and ruin the public perception for the rest of us.

Oh ok the trash thing,one location I get peanuts thrown up the prize chute and in the crane.

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of low life degenerates who is going to Vegas for the ASD or NBVA/AMOA expo?

ill be out there for my wedding at the time nbva is going on , be there the whole week would be nice to catch up with some forum members some night

Wish I was but I'm spending all extra cash on getting into cranes

Careful, some people have gotten stuck in them. :D

Seriously though... As someone on the 'other side of the fence' (i.e. i don't operate cranes, I play them), I don't think the picture is quite accurate. I started playing cranes in the early 80's, when I was not much more than 5 years old. My Mom gave me 3 coins, and believe it or not, the 'top prize' was a pack of imported cigarettes (this was in europe), and I won 3 packs. Mind you, I knew damn well that neither myself, nor anyone in my family had any use for them. I didn't play to win a toy I wanted. It was for entertainment. We spend more money bowling, miniature golfing, playing pinball or any other acrcade machines and don't get anything in return. Granted, the play cycle is shorter, but at least you have an opportunity to use some skill to win a prize that may (or may not) be worth the money you spent on it. It really doesn't matter... You spend $10 to go to the movies, when you could easily spend a lot less renting it a few months later. Why? For the experience and entertainment value.

To me, cranes are no different. When I started playing, they had no joysticks and claw strength wasn't adjustable, so it was pure skill (space / depth perception, reaction time, assesment of prize type, value, positioning, etc). It is a unique game and it is not exclusive to low income areas. People will play regardless of where it is set up if they see a prize they like. The main thing that determines who plays is the operator... where they set it up, what they put into it, and how easy they make it to win. You may see lots of low income people playing them at Walmarts, but I've dealt with lots of intelligent people playing them. That includes kids, who win licensed plush and donate to other kids in need, or sell for profit, and/or have an ongoing web video series for the claw fans and make money from ads (myself included). Point is... I don't really think it's that much different compared to any other types of entertainment that we, as a society, spend and/or waste money on.

That's just my 2 quarters on the debate :P

Allen K

BeTheClaw.com

That's a great post BeTheClaw.

Thanks for sharing that insight and proving once again that you can never paint one group or category of people with so broad a brush...as much as some people always try.

Thank you, sherlock. I understand that some people go a little too far, and I too am guilty of spending more than I probably should have at times, especially when I was younger, but I'm sure we all have done this, on one thing or another.

Archived