Dentyne Ice machine vandelized

acvending

Well just when I got one of my DI locations wall mounted the machine at my other DI location appears to have been vandalized. The entire coin mechanism was ripped out. Nothing was stolen as the candy chute blocks the ability to reach in and grab the money. Not sure how they pulled it free. I suspect they probably just kept wiggling the mechanism and somehow they released the lockdown screw tab inside that holds the mechanism in place. They really didnt damage anything though the very edge of the opening is slightly bent but nothing I cant fix.

But I found something interesting when I got it home. One of the wheel openings had a piece of DI stuck in it. It would not fall through. When I looked closely at it I noticed that the gum was exactly the same dimensions as the circular opening and its 4 edges were actually wedged in the hole as if the hole was to small. I actually had to fight to get it out the opening. Either that piece of gum was oversized for some reason or somehow it expanded. I know the wheel is made to only allow 2 pieces but not sure why the diameter of openings weren't made slightly bigger to accomodate minor size differences that could occur with each piece of gum.

Oh and I have had a couple of complaints about people only getting one piece of gum per vend. Strangely I tested the machine that had the complaints, not the one above, and I actually got 3 pieces :-)

Adam,

Sorry to hear about you machine getting vandalized. I have a problem with one of my machines at my best location. The manager told me it would vend 1 piece then 3 then zero. So I took it home and tested it. Sure enough it did exactly what he said over and over. So Im taking it apart this weekend to see what might be causing the problem. I also have had gum stuck in the holes and that caused the low vend. Ill let you know what happens.

Well there actually is a way, it just takes a little of your profit away. Tbird Johnny buys small caps and he places 2 in each cap. It is labor intensive but it does add consistancy & a more "sanitary" appearance. He does not use the regular DI machine but he places those decals on his regular machines.

Adam.......I am very sorry to hear of what happened to you.  Thats a real bummer.  I had someone jam up a DI machine the 3rd week it was in operation back in December.  The thing with the capsules and another machine to vend DI is I have already spent money for like 9 or 10 DI machines. I also wish there was more consistency in the vend.  Thats the problem with a 2 piece vend.  It is obviously disturbing to a customer when this happens as opposed to regular candy where you get 8-14 pieces of something.  A few less and no one will say anything right?

All:

We understand the frustration with the 1-piece vends and especially, the 0-piece vend. Both are caused by gum pellets that either swell or are made slightly larger then the rest.  We're talking to Cadbury about why there seems to be such a varience in size, although the actual size difference is minuscule when you measure it, but it's just enough to wedge in the hole if it falls in at just the right angle.  Overall, jams happens a very small % of the time compared to total vends but we agree, once is too much. We're currently working through options on the wheel to prevent this. Until  then, one way to prevent jams and 1-piece vends is to slightly enlarge the holes using a sanding bit on a dremmel or regular drill.  This should not increase 3-piece vends as most of those are due to gum pellets getting forced through the springs as a result of too much weight. This happens with most machines, you just don't know it because of the expected variance in vend quantity. Maintaining only 1 bag or less in the canister will reduce the 3-piece vends.

Any questions, we can be reached at (800) 288-0958.

SPVG

Hey T,

Have you ever bought the DI wheel and used it with your Elite or NW?  I like the caps idea but I am trying to make a profit.  Thanks.

Coop

I tried to put it together Coop.......but for what ever reason, I could not. It is supposed to work though.

Steve from Superpro has mentioned exactly what to do a few times on these threads.  I do not remember exactlt what piece (s ) go on etc.

Why don't you DI guys wait to buy their machines until they fix all the issues they seem to be having. I am glad I didn't buy any of them.

If the machines are not working and you have to keep checking on them or fixing them you are not making any money on them.

It seems that it should be pretty simple for a machine to dispense a couple of mint gum pieces without falling apart and jamming, etc. etc. You should send them their machines and have them send ones that work correctly.

Gary

I agree Gary. Obviously, these machines have serious issues in the design, and need work, fast. They look like a NW, and I was actually fooled into believing they were NW quality. However, I have never had a NW fall apart like that. 

Every vendor on Vendiscuss that uses the D-Ice machines have had issues, most in the very 1st month on site. These look like the Altoids machines that caused so much trouble.

Kyle

Every vendor on Vendiscuss that uses the D-Ice machines have had issues, most in the very 1st month on site.

Please don't lump everyone into the same category. Mine is still doing fine mechanically. I would be happier with better sales but I've had no issues with machine quality.

Steve

No no. I am not lumping anyone who has not had problems in. :D I did not even know you had D-Ice machines Beer. I was simply proving a point there....I take that comment back about "All VD Vendors have had problems".

I was proving a point.... A point that Steve at SPVG needs to talk with all the vendors who use them, and they really need to get all the problems resolved before people stop buying them. Their triples are awesome machines, so the Superpro name is stamped with quality.

I will be buying one, once the problems are fixed. Count me in....

Kyle

I don't have any problems either so please don't lump me in.

Kyle was pointing out there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Everyone is being to literal.

Mike

That should really do it for this post. They are all over it and know there are a few issues. That's why they do the business they do with their machines and product line. They are top of the line...

Thanks Polecat for your response to this line of posts. Please keep us up-to-date with any changes/ improvements.

Gary

I hopefully have adequately addressed the vend quantity variance and potential fixes. 

In regards to the machines "falling apart"... I'm happy to report we've not received even one call on that happening :). However, I've posted this before and I'll re-post it now -- please just check the hex screws on the inside of the machine that hold the mech in place. Some have loosened during shipping. If not tightened, this can cause the coin mech to become loose, even to the point that it could come out.  

I believe we've included a free 9mm wrench that fits these hex screws with every new order. If anyone didn't get one, please let me know and we'll send one right out. Lastly, a quick shot of loc tite on the screws will keep them from loosening over time.  To my knowledge, this is the only "mechanical" issue that has come up and is preventable if the screws are checked and tightened, if needed, before placing the machine.

Steve

PS. Thanks to those of you who posted in support, including at least 1 that hasn't even bought a machine. Things can sometimes get really blown out of proportion...

Someone broke off the knob on one of my machines.  I called Super Pro Vending and told them about the broken knob.  They sent me another knob for free along with my order of Dentyne Ice gum.  They are good people to work with.

• 3 months later...

Hey Polecat.  3 of my DI locations today had awesome amounts (about $25 for the month).  However, the owners from all locations have told me that their customers are complaining that they get 0 candy.  I was also told this last month from another location owner, but I thought it was just a fluke.  I was pretty depressed earlier because I did not know how to solve this.  I'm really glad I found this post.  How much bigger should we make the holes (like 1/16 increase in diameter)?  Are you going to make a new wheel with the increase in hole size?