Health Department problem?

MountainMan

Hi all,

Not sure if this should be here in Bulk or should be in regulatory, but it is a bulk question.

My wife was in Boise Idaho today on other business and went to pick up some bulk candy for our new machines today. Cash and Carry had almost none. She got what she could and asked them about it.

they said that the health department was "clamping down" on bulk vending machine in that area because there is no protection against germs or something. They said one kid goes and vends, gets his germs all over the machine, then the next one comes and gets his and puts the candy in his mouth with the germs from the last guy.

Now, I can not hardly believ this! Has anyone ever heard of something like this? This could ruin me before I even start. I am going to do more research and may just call our local health Department, but I thought I would put it out here for a couple of reasons. One is in case someone has heard about it and if this is going on anywhere else.

Thanks,

I have never heard of this.

being a certified food handler itis something I have thought about,with various people touching the machines.I am surprised it has taken so long for them to realize this.

I always make sure to wipe the chute with a disinfecting wipe before I place it,and I should get in the habit of doing it regularly just in case.

Well tell them to look after all those big germ machines too, I mean soda and snack machines. It is the same thing with those. You could even have unhealthy homeless persons using those machines for a meal. Sounds like a rumor running wild. Germs are a way of life. Look at all the places you go in public and what other people are touching. I do keep baby wipes in my servicing backpack to wipe each machine down when I leave. Handles, chutes, spill tray, then the top, sides and the stand/base last.

I disagree beer.snack and soda vending machines sell a product that is wraped or canned,the actual product will not be touched by no one but you as oposed to candy chutes,everyone puts their hands up the chute to get all the candy so it`ll be like your candy was touched by all those people.

of course there will be germs on the product selection button or where the soda/candy comes out of but you dont have to touch any of those products with your hands.the candy bar u can hold the wrapper and the soda the cap protects where your mouth goes.

Hey all,

I could find not a single comment either on the Idaho regs or health web site. I sent an email to them and am waiting to hear back. It has to be bogus. someone probably did something stupid and got shut down and the snowball started to roll.

Don't have your whole day ruined by the comment of a single person who does not know what they are talking about.

this is true sometimes not even the managers of certain stores dont know what they are talking about let alone a cashier.

Hey all,

I got a response from our health Department this morning. I have it below. This goes to show you that you have to get it from the source and never, ever rely on second or third hand information. Thank yo uall for your input into this thread. I will watch the health issue though. If they ever decide there is money in it for them, they will do something. LOL

-----------------------

Hello Mr. Ozmer,  Thanks for contacting the Central District Health Department. If you have a public health question, do not hesitate to inquire.   Gumball machines are not prohibited in the state of Idaho.   One of the most important actions people can do to reduce the incidence of communicable disease is wash there hands with soap and water after potential contamination of some kind occurs and definitely before eating.   Best regards,

--------------------------------