Better to test or stay constant with candy?

flipside

I personally decided to choose 3 items (gumball, reeses, and skittles) to stock in all my triples. I was wondering if everyone else does that, or if it eally is more effective to test new product on every new location. Just seems like  huge hassle to me is all. With this I can just always have the candies I stock, in stock.

The exeption would be having somthing different than gumballs for adult locations...

What do you think of this?

Personally I think every machine needs chocolate.  Chocolate fixes alot of people's moods especially women, you read it everywhere in the publications (magazine articals).  So I will always have a chocolate of some sort in my machine.  But that is just my opinion.

I have read on here from others something chocolate, fruity and gumballs.  This is what I will be starting with.  Some locations I will not want gumballs and will put in the reeses.  So I will still only buy 5-7 different kinds of treats.  Some resurants that I may get I may put in the polar mints.

I always classified reeses as "the chocolate' of my three. I have been aginst pmm so far in that I get a much better profit margin with reeses. (about 8 cents vs. 2), but you would still recomend peunut mms?

I am having a choice for each location. If they do not care, I use PMM, Gumball for 2 of the three. If it is adult, then mints. I am trying peanuts, but I know they go off. I am also trying out trail mix in the third, but this is all new. The first machines go out this coming week. I am so excited! I have one customer that wants Mike and Ike's, so I got those for her for that third slot. I have one that did not want PMM, but plain MM, so, that went in the first slot. I hate that the PMM are so much $$, but we still make some decent money and they are like number one seller, if I recall correctly.

Skittles don't sell to well for me. Mike & Ikes do much better along with Hot Tamalies. I made the mistake of putting PMM, Reeces and M&I in a few machines. The PMMs are selling great but Reeces are a dud. I plan to switch out the Reeces in those machines to Hot Tamalies next month. It's hard to say what will sell and what won't. That's the great thing about triples. You have the opportunity to try different products and choose the best two if the location doesn't support a triple. Later you can switch it out to a double with the best sellers for that location.

This probably isn't the right thread for this post, but I am absolutely amazed that you guys don't have spoilage issues with chocolate products. And some of you guys come from hot and humid climates.

Thats another question I have actually, as long as your helping me out.

I have never ed any "spoilage issues", a,lthough Ive only been doing this half a year. Sometimes the candy taste just a little "stale" but beyong that I have no problem.

I think that PMM/GB/Skittles is a good place to start but what do you do in accounts that are not kid based? Most will agree that you need some sort of chocolate in the mix but you really have to experiment in some stores. Let the 3 items run for 2 months and see how they do. Then switch out one of the items for M&I or reese's to see if they do any better.

I have about 50 triples that have been running for almost a year. I started off with the same in all of them but with time the mix has changed and in most cases improved my take. It's easier to have the same thing in each one, but it's not always the best.

Note: One thing I don't do is ask the customer what they want in them. You will be carrying every item under the sun.

So my answer is TEST the products you sell.

Gary

II

Good Day,

Mountain Man..In Idaho, you say thatthe PMM are so$$ do you pay more the the bag of PMM than regular MM....

In CT at Sams Club I get the PMM's and the regular MM at the same price per bag(same size etc)

Howdy,

I am paying .11 per vend for the PMM and .09 for Plain. The other things run 3 to 7 cents. I don't have a Sam's close. I have not priced online, but I bet shipping would be troublesome.

Note: One thing I don't do is ask the customer what they want in them. You will be carrying every item under the sun.

Gary

Hi Gary,

I am new and such. What I decided to do was to have a variety, but a limit. So, I have like 6 or 7 items. That way I can let them have a choice, making them feel involved and yet, I can change it out if it is not selling in a few months. Do you think I am ok with that?

I haven't been doing this long, however I believe in the KISS (Keep is Simple Stupid) method of doing things. I Stick with a few staple items. Inventory reduces working capital so I want only a few things on hand to stock and inventory simple:  Peanut MM, M&M plain, Skittles, Receese pieces. and Gumballs. I put gumballs in retail areas.

I always start with Peanut M&M's because they are a big seller and M&M plain for those who might be allergic to or not like nuts. In an adult market I try out skittles instead of gumballs. My theory is nuts, chocolate, and fruity; something for everyone. If I have a bad seller then I will try Receese Pieces. I then have 2/3 of my heads filled with peanut based snacks. My wife used to be allergic to peanuts and so I do tend to be a little more sensitive to the non-peanut eaters. LOL    

Mountain Man,

I think you are fine with 6-7 items as long as they are all good sellers. It's alright to let the customers pick but limit there selection.

I think you are on the right track. Let me know how it goes.

P.S. Be careful with Summer coming. Make sure the direct sun does not hit the machines and the accounts don't get to warm. Sometimes M&I and items like that are the safer bet during the summer months.

Gary

Most of the candy supply companies on the web sell Mike & Ike in bulk sizes. You would have to shop around for the best price and lowest shipping to your area.

A&A Global sells Mike & Ike Bulk, check this link out.

http://www.aaglobalind.com/candy-gum-nuts.htm

Just Born is the company that makes Mike & Ike.

TJ KING sells bulk candy. Check them out below.

http://tjking.com/products.asp?id=3

There are many more so check around before you buy.

Gary