Tax exempt status

Do you guys pay sales tax at Costo/Sams?

What's the process like for getting exempt?

I'll google it for my state - but would like to hear the real story, not just what the state has to say (cuz that's not accurate anyway). LOL

Contact your state comptroller office, the phrase we use here in TX is "resale certificate". You fill out the application and you are issued a resale certificate and then you provide a copy to the businesses you buy product at and then you can purchase product tax exempt.

Contact your state comptroller office, the phrase we use here in TX is "resale certificate". You fill out the application and you are issued a resale certificate and then you provide a copy to the businesses you buy product at and then you can purchase product tax exempt.

I live in Texas. So when you get your resale certificate, what does this do exactly? Keep you from paying taxes? If so do you have to pay sales tax if all you do is bulk vending?

I live in Texas. So when you get your resale certificate, what does this do exactly? Keep you from paying taxes? If so do you have to pay sales tax if all you do is bulk vending?

Yes, the company that you purchase from will keep a copy on file and you can buy product without paying sales taxes. You will also have to file a report with the state declaring your income and how much is taxable and how much is not subject to tax.

From the Tax Code:

Sec. 151.305. COIN-OPERATED MACHINE SALES. (a) The following tangible personal property sold through a coin-operated bulk vending machine for a total consideration of 50 cents or less is exempt from the taxes imposed by this chapter:

(1) food or candy, other than beverages;

(2) chewing gum; or

(3) toys and other items designed primarily to be used or played with by children.

(b ) In this section, "bulk vending machine" means a vending machine that contains unsorted items and that dispenses at random an item or approximately equal quantities of items to the customer without selection of a particular item or type of item by the customer.

Added by Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 1158, Sec. 1, eff. Oct. 1, 1989. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 898, Sec. 1, eff. July 1, 1999.

Archived