Charity Tags - Scam?

Whim

On each box, do you guys post how much of each sale goes to charity (say, 25%?), do you just say 'a portion', or do you display the sticker by itself and leave it at that?

I'm interested in honor boxes, but I'm not willing to dishonestly scam people by making them think that what they're putting into the money box goes directly to charity. I've read stories and sites where customers will drop in 5's, 10's, and 20's, and the only reason they're doing that is obviously because they think the majority or all of the money is going to charity.

Is saying 'a portion' or giving a % the best way to do it if I don't want to cheat people? Have people had good luck posting these things, or are honor boxes that have a charity name/sticker and nothing else on them the only viable way?

Thanks!

I would also like it to be known that, obviously, I am a new member, and if there has already been a topic on this, please let me know. I am also not bashing charity stickers- that's the farthest thing from my mind. I think giving to charity is fantastic and I want to be a part of it. I just, personally, don't want to 'dishonestly' (that's the key word) tug at people's emotions as a way to make money.

I am excited to be a part of this community, and if you have a different opinion about the stickers, please let me know. I don't want to make any enemies here before I even really join, so know that I know nothing about anyone here, and I don't know how anybody here does their route. I am not targeting or attacking anybody.

I've had numerous machines located by locating companies and they do it by making it seem that all the money goes to charity. When I speak to the manager of the establishment I'm sent to, I make it clear that I'm not in any way associated with either the locating company nor the charity and that I'm not sure what they were told over the phone, however I do donate a percentage of the sales to charity. In this scenario, honesty truly is the best policy, as I've never been turned down for being straightforward. Most ethical people can appreciate that and will have some respect for you, given you aren't trying to be deceiving in any way. I put a marquee on top of my machines that advertises my business and has highlighted that a portion of the sales are donated to the specific charity. I don't state that it's only 10% because most people would frown on that, but it's tough making any money when it's $10 here, $20 there, $5 there...etc. If the management ever asked me how much exactly it is that I donate, I would tell them. Most people are understanding that you're running a business, as are they and we all have to make money somehow.

Thank you for the response! That seems honest and reasonable to me- I am just trying to see how I'm going to go about this business, and your model sounds nice and I appreciate the information/advice.

I know everybody has a different method of doing business, but it's just gut wrenching when I hear about people dropping $20's in the pot. I was on ebay looking at different honor boxes, and this guy is selling a route and boasting about how people put $20's in because of the charity sticker with the sad little girl on it.

For me, it seems that not only is charity important in securing a location, but people will be more willing to drop a quarter in if they know they are helping in some way. However, bills and severe overpayment seems unethical. And, of course, the most important part in using a charity is it benefits the charity. But this IS a business, and the most important part of a business is making $.

I'm mostly here just voicing my thoughts out loud as a way to organize them and to hear other people's opinions/get ideas.

Sorry for going on. Again, I appreciate the kind response!

That's great and you're welcome! I don't personally have any honor boxes, however one of my candy machine locations have one and it seems to do better than my candy machine! I see lots of one dollar bills in it all of the time. The $20 bill story, may have been something that happened once...I wouldn't worry about it, because it likely won't happen, or happen often. If I were you, I would label the boxes as they are benefiting/supporting ________ charity. I would make sure that everyone knows that it is owned by a third party. Also keep in mind that you will have "shrinkage" with honor boxes, because, unfortunately some people WILL steal, and they WON'T feel guilty about it. "It's only a quarter..." There are plenty of those people out there, so figure in the shrinkage with your margins.

If you are using an already existing charity vending program you won't have much say about what to use/display on your machine.

The program supplies the stickers (for a fee) and that is what you display...so you'd be using their wording.

If you are setting up your own charity vending program with an organization that doesn't already have one AND you want to be totally honest about the matter, then let your conscience be your guide in shaping the message on your machine.

I admire your honesty, but warn you that not all vendors have high ethical standards.

Not to mention, "honesty" is very subjective as everyone's definition of what's acceptable and unacceptable can vary quite a bit.

As far as the outright $10 & $20 donations you are worried about...don't be.

If you word your display/sticker on the box honestly and clearly, you have done nothing wrong.

Besides, you can always forward that donation to your charity as the giver intended.

Ultimately, the likelihood of you getting that kind of donation through your box is slim-to-none anyway.

So don't worry about it too much.

No sense worrying about the improbable problems when there are so many probable problems you are likely to encounter when starting your own vending business.

i ran my box route as a for profit business no charity associations. i had no problem locating boxes if ur talking about snack boxes. i think charity is misleading except in some cases. i had discusion with a local food bank that had a back pack program $15 got a backpack with school supplies for a poor kid in the community. what we discussed was i would donate $5 /mo per box to the program and i could use their name to get boxes placed but i would not use their name on the boxes or have any mention of charity on the box itself so as to not mislead anyone . ultimately i did not decide to go this route.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first post on this website..

I've been doing honor box vending for over a year.. I really don't want to get in to specifics but I've got about 700 locations, half of which I bought and the other half I located myself.. I do it full time..

This thread (along with a few others) absolutely stunned me.. you cannot just cut a check to a charity of your choice at a percentage rate you feel is appropriate.. In the US, charitable partnerships are governed by the state you operate in.. If, at any point, anyone ever complains to your state's Attorney General's office you will be in a world of trouble..

You need to have a CONTRACT with a registered charity that clearly spells out the agreement you have with them.. your LABEL needs to have a few basic facts including the name of the charity, exactly what the charity is getting, and in most cases when the charitable agreement you have ENDS.

It's okay if you re-up your agreement with the charity and then re-label all your units.. but legitimate charitable support agreements have a start date and and end date..

Contact which ever state government organization monitors and enforces charitable law in your state and ask them exactly what the rules are in your state.. but I can pretty much tell you no state will say "the rules are that you just donate whatever you want whenever you want, no contract necessary."

This is my first post on this website..

I've been doing honor box vending for over a year.. I really don't want to get in to specifics but I've got about 700 locations, half of which I bought and the other half I located myself.. I do it full time..

This thread (along with a few others) absolutely stunned me.. you cannot just cut a check to a charity of your choice at a percentage rate you feel is appropriate.. In the US, charitable partnerships are governed by the state you operate in.. If, at any point, anyone ever complains to your state's Attorney General's office you will be in a world of trouble..

You need to have a CONTRACT with a registered charity that clearly spells out the agreement you have with them.. your LABEL needs to have a few basic facts including the name of the charity, exactly what the charity is getting, and in most cases when the charitable agreement you have ENDS.

It's okay if you re-up your agreement with the charity and then re-label all your units.. but legitimate charitable support agreements have a start date and and end date..

Contact which ever state government organization monitors and enforces charitable law in your state and ask them exactly what the rules are in your state.. but I can pretty much tell you no state will say "the rules are that you just donate whatever you want whenever you want, no contract necessary."

Disagree.

Im not sure what youre getting at but hey, ive got nothing to hide so here... 1350 Spofford Ave, Bronx NY.

No label because I'm not affiliated with a charity vending program. I donate a percentage of my profits to the charity of my choice. When and how much is my choosing. There is no government agency that is going to dictate how charitable I am.

Im not sure what youre getting at but hey, ive got nothing to hide so here... 1350 Spofford Ave, Bronx NY.

No label because I'm not affiliated with a charity vending program. I donate a percentage of my profits to the charity of my choice. When and how much is my choosing. There is no government agency that is going to dictate how charitable I am.

If you don't have a label or you never mentioned a charity when you located, then it's not a charitable solicitation.

If you DO have a label mentioning a charity, I'd call the Charities Bureau for New York and ask them what the requirements are for your state. Because it took me 10 seconds in Google to find a document by the state's Attorney General that outlined the basic framework for charities - including stuff about organization who raise funds for charities, which vending companies that use "a part of the proceeds go to" fall under..

If you DO have a label mentioning a charity, I'd call the Charities Bureau for New York and ask them what the requirements are for your state. Because it took me 10 seconds in Google to find a document by the state's Attorney General that outlined the basic framework for charities - including stuff about organization who raise funds for charities, which vending companies that use "a part of the proceeds go to" fall under..

Since most vendors are using an established charity vending program like NCCS, I don't think they have much to worry about.

Those organizations have legal teams that work on setting up the program specifically to avoid trouble.

Since the program provides the stickers for those machines, I think they should be ok.

I can't believe these cancer and missing children's charities have dropped the ball in every U.S. state for all of these years that they've had their vending program in effect.

Do you have anything specific in those Attorney General files/links that mentions requirements for vending/vendors that you can share with us?

Everything I have read speaks more to groups/people who are soliciting for donations...by mail/phone/in-person/etc.

A gumball machine sitting by a counter or exit is a different animal altogether.

Solicitors call/mail/approach prospective donators asking for money.

And that's what it seems most of those regulations are targeting.

Vending machines simply display the fact that each machine helps the charitable organization...they are inanimate.

They are not proactively calling/mailing/approaching would-be donators and asking for help.

I am not disputing your statements, I'm just wondering where you found that those regulations apply to bulk vending machines or honor boxes and whose interpretation you are relying on as accurate.

Someone answering the phone at the attorney general's office may not be the most reliable resource....I have personal experience with gov't agency phone clerks giving misinformation for lack of experience/knowledge and/or for lack of caring.

Don't forget everyone, this is NY. The State even has to tell them what size drinks they can have. I have an written agreement with my Charity, they are happy and I honor our agreement. That simple.

I have charity boxes/machines and I agree with Floridavending's train of thought. If someone gets a wild hair and calls a gov't agency or media outlet on me I want to be able to show what I give to my charity and the agreement that I am following. All it takes is one goofball to be exposed as a vending fraud to hurt all of us legitimate vendors. I am proud to be with a reputable charity (NCCS) and know that every sticker I order from them means more money for them as well as me. I really question alot of vendors who cut out a picture of Jerry Lewis and a kid in a wheel chair and tape it on their machine/box. There is no audit system to see if they are really giving anything. I sleep well at night knowing that I keeping my end of the bargain in charity vending.

If your label doesn't mentioning anything about charity, you're fine.

If you have NCCS, I'm willing to bet you signed a contract with them and they're in compliance with everything. You're fine.

If you have a contract with a legit charity and are in compliance with all the state's rules, you're fine.

If you have believe you can choose whatever charity you want, give them whatever amount you want, no contract, and believe you're fine - you're not fine. Find out what state agency governs charitable co-ventures and contact them.. even if it's just for fact-finding.. tell them you're looking in to setting up a new vending company with a charitable partner and need to know what the rules are.. insist on speaking to one of the attorneys (because they have them there, and able to respond to your questions) rather than a clerk if you feel the clerks are incompetent..

If you are really going to donate to a charity I don't think it would be back to put a little story on the box informing the people about the cause. It might be nice to say the % that goes to them, but if you don't tell them I don't see why that would be a problem. Just make sure you donate to the charity in the end :-)

Why would you buy a charity box? Can't you just make one? :-)

• 2 years later...

Hi Whim,

In the end did you get honor boxes from ebay? I just can't seem to find any can you please send me their address? Thanks!

Thank you for the response! That seems honest and reasonable to me- I am just trying to see how I'm going to go about this business, and your model sounds nice and I appreciate the information/advice.

I know everybody has a different method of doing business, but it's just gut wrenching when I hear about people dropping $20's in the pot. I was on ebay looking at different honor boxes, and this guy is selling a route and boasting about how people put $20's in because of the charity sticker with the sad little girl on it.

For me, it seems that not only is charity important in securing a location, but people will be more willing to drop a quarter in if they know they are helping in some way. However, bills and severe overpayment seems unethical. And, of course, the most important part in using a charity is it benefits the charity. But this IS a business, and the most important part of a business is making $.

I'm mostly here just voicing my thoughts out loud as a way to organize them and to hear other people's opinions/get ideas.

Sorry for going on. Again, I appreciate the kind response!

Archived