BevMax 2145 problem

joel112

I have been having a problem with one of my BevMax's. A few weeks ago it started reading "REMOVE BOTTLE" on the screen. I cleared the errors and everything seemed fine. Today I had the same problem. I cleared the errors, but an hour later the location called me and said it was happening again. Any ideas?:huh:

The problem is likely the electric eye across the delivery bin.

Often operators try storing thinks in the bottom of the coin compartment and push the eye out of adjustment.

Try removing this

1 with a sharpie marker reach into the delivery bin draw the edge of bin opening on the left side reflector.

2 Remove the delivery bin.

3 Move cardboard across the reflector you should be able to cover equal parts of the circle moving top to bottom, bottom to top, left to right and right to left before it starts beeping.

If not you can adjust eye so it is centered.

Note some machine another eye above the delivery bin.

Walta

• Like 1

If you do choose to bypass the eye.

1 Do not vend glass

2 Give the location a fund for refunds.

The eye is located to prevent 2 bottles from hitting each other.

You also lose the guarantee delivery system and no machine needs this system more than this model. If you let a few sticky bottles get in this machine you will have 20% refunds.

Walta

Do not disable the drop sensor. 1 in 10 vends fails on these machines...even if you give the location money for refunds, they'll get annoyed quickly.

This comes from experience with the 2145 and 5591.

Your best bet would be to clean the sensor, check alignment, and possibly replace.

• Like 1

I have not had anywhere near that number of misvends with these machines. As long as you have them shimmed correctly, they should vend just fine.

Attached is a photo of the sensor, follow the sensor cable up to the main control board. You will want to cut the outer conductors (in the picture it would be the Black and the Blue) and short (connect) them together back towards the main control board.....leaving them unconnected back towards the sensor. This would basically tell the control board that it is ALWAYS seeing the sensor.

Now as mentioned in previous posts, this will prevent you from sensing a mis-vend, or a product left in the delivery chute, however I have done this with 2 5591's for over two years and have NEVER had to bottles hit and break, or see an increase in misvends and angry customers.

I will also say, do this at your own risk and be careful. Also, remove power from the machine BEFORE doing this work. If you do decide to do this, ensure that you test afterwards to ensure full operation (other than the drop sensor).

Travis

post-1546-0-76413700-1361936851_thumb.jpg

Most versions of this software have an option to disable the sensor if you get to that point.

Think about this for 30 seconds. A team of engineers spent thousands of man hours looking every part, offered thousands of bonus dollars to shave a few pennies out of each unit. No they chose to install a 20.00 sensor and in fact they were able to convince management to add a second sensor late in production run.

Go ahead cut extra wires if you’re sure you know best.

Walta

I can absolutely tell you without a doubt that there is NO way of turning off this sensor. You also cannot simply unplug the sensor. I was under the same impression that you were. I mean there had to be an easy way of doing this from a menu option...but absolutely there is not.

Clipping these wires is a quick and easy fix. The other option is to cut the wires and put a male and female connection on each end and reverse the male and female connection on the other wire. For example.

On the blue wire, cut it and put a male connector on the wire towards the control board and a female connector towards the sensor.

On the black wire, cut it and put a female connector on the wire towards the control board and a male connector towards the sensor.

now connect the male connector of the blue wire to the female connector of the black wire...and you have now jumpered around the sensor.

If for some reason that you wish to restore normal service and configuration, simple reconnect the male and female connectors of the blue....and the male and female connectors of the black and it is back to normal.

At any rate, this is what I did two years ago on 2 DN 5591's and my phantom beeping and error message to remove product have went away.

Travis

Tie around the connection. Blue/black tie together. You must do this to the connection on the main board to work. Been doing it for years on accounts that run thousands of dollars a year. Never had to reconnect one. Before we would get calls all hours of morning and night about the continuous "beeping" going on because the machine thinks there is a bottle stuck in the delivery port.

I'm with walta on this one. The drop sensor on this machine is one of its best features. It allows your customer to make alternate selections if their product gets stuck or they select any empty selection. You can program the number of vend retrys before the machine refunds the customer's money. The customer will not lose their money on a misvend when using the sensor. The sensor is easy to adjust so it will not beep, but they will also go bad sometimes and need to be replaced.

• Like 1

I'm with walta on this one. The drop sensor on this machine is one of its best features. It allows your customer to make alternate selections if their product gets stuck or they select any empty selection. You can program the number of vend retrys before the machine refunds the customer's money. The customer will not lose their money on a misvend when using the sensor. The sensor is easy to adjust so it will not beep, but they will also go bad sometimes and need to be replaced.

I just have two of these machines, one's a Dixie 5591 and the other's a Royal RVV500. So far I haven't had an issue with the sensors but agree that it's the best feature of these machines aside from the fact that they're easier to vend bottles out of.

Other than that, I find find them kind of gimmicky as they don't hold much product and are made with too much plastic - not something that will last for twenty years.

If I do have a sensor problem, I will attempt to replace it. As I don't recall seeing one on any of the parts sites, where would I get one?

• Like 1

For the DN5591, any parts distributor will carry the drop sensor and I always have one in stock. For the RVV500, emitter p/n 842600 and receiver p/n 842601 might be available from one of the big parts distributors, but will probably have to be ordered from Royal by a distributor as Royal doesn't sell direct to operators. The RVV500 has to have a working sensor or the machine is out of order. As you probably know, the sensor assy is in the delivery cup or Port Box Housing Assy as Royal calls it. At least the DN 2145/5591 can have the sensor bypassed to keep the machine operating, but all of the various manufacturer's elevator vendors have to have a working sensor or they are dead in the water.

• Like 1

If I do have a sensor problem, I will attempt to replace it. As I don't recall seeing one on any of the parts sites, where would I get one?

Both VE & Betson both stock replacement sensors for your Bevmax 5591.. PN80492407001

Price: Vendors Exchange $45.85 - Betson $53.93 (you may want to shop around to see if you mite find one cheaper locally)

Does your 5591 have 1 or 2 sensors? The 2145 & some early 5591 only had 1 sensor in the delivery bin where as most 5591 models had 2 sensors. The sensor which causes most issues is the one in the delivery bin. You can disconnect this sensor & only use the sensor which is below the bottom shelf if you want as the sensor in the bin is to prevent another glass bottle being vended until the first one is removed to prevent two bottles hitting each other like Walta mentioned..

I agree with both what Walta & AZVendor have said regarding it is best to use the drop sensor but we do have some issues with the sensors depending on what products are being vended out of the machine.

For an example: When vending 250ml cans they can sometime slip past either side of the first drop sensor beam without being picked up by the sensor which allows the customer a "free" product. ...This is the reason why we disable the drop sensor on most of our bottle drop machines.

I was wondering if anyone has tried using the sensor that Dixie Narco use on the Bevmax Entray on their 5591 or 2145 models & if anyone has any opinion on the entray sensor compared to the bottle drop sensor.

Edited by Kiwi

Both VE & Betson both stock replacement sensors for your Bevmax 5591.. PN80492407001

Price: Vendors Exchange $45.85 - Betson $53.93 (you may want to shop around to see if you mite find one cheaper locally)

Does your 5591 have 1 or 2 sensors? The 2145 & some early 5591 only had 1 sensor in the delivery bin where as most 5591 models had 2 sensors. The sensor which causes most issues is the one in the delivery bin. You can disconnect this sensor & only use the sensor which is below the bottom shelf if you want as the sensor in the bin is to prevent another glass bottle being vended until the first one is removed to prevent two bottles hitting each other like Walta mentioned..

I agree with both what Walta & AZVendor have said regarding it is best to use the drop sensor but we do have some issues with the sensors depending on what products are being vended out of the machine.

For an example: When vending 250ml cans they can sometime slip past either side of the first drop sensor beam without being picked up by the sensor which allows the customer a "free" product. ...This is the reason why we disable the drop sensor on most of our bottle drop machines.

I was wondering if anyone has tried using the sensor that Dixie Narco use on the Bevmax Entray on their 5591 or 2145 models & if anyone has any opinion on the entray sensor compared to the bottle drop sensor.

Hey Kiwi,

I'm sure my 5591 is the older one with only the single sensor. As I'm fairly new to the glassfront scene, I haven't started poking around for a lot of parts yet - usually when I start doing preemptive research on something, that will be the very next thing to go bad ( sort of like "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil")

Hey Kiwi,

I'm sure my 5591 is the older one with only the single sensor. As I'm fairly new to the glassfront scene, I haven't started poking around for a lot of parts yet - usually when I start doing preemptive research on something, that will be the very next thing to go bad ( sort of like "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil")

And you call me superstitious!! ;D

The Bevmax upper sensor is to prevent theft of product. It seems that if someone was to put their hand in the delivery bin and hold the flapper door up, catching the product that falls, they can then get it out past the sensor in the bin itself. So DN added the upper sensor which is above the flapper door. I don't see how a smaller package could not be detected by the upper sensor, but anything's possible.

As to the Entray sensor, it's not worth the expense of retrofitting to a Bevmax. There is a connection like that on the back of a snack machine shelf that the delivery bin plugs into and the sensors are mounted high in the bin so it would never detect a product in the bottom of the bin to warn customers about. You would have to buy the bin (it's the one with the segmented flapper door), a cabinet-side sensor connector and I believe you would also have to change to Entray software.

• 2 years later...

We are new to vending (18 months) and new to this board.   We have a DN2145 that is having this same problem - meaning that it keeps beeping and giving the message "Remove Product."   We bought this machine and a used DN5591 from another vendor, but have not yet put either in a location.   I replaced the sensor in the DN2145  with the sensor from the DN5591 (both sensors have the same part number).  

After doing the replacement, the DN2145 continued to beep.  But I adjusted the screws in the plate around the sensor and the beeping stopped.  I assumed that meant the sensor was not properly aligned and the adjustment straightened out the beam.   

The first bottle that I tested fell straight down and got stuck.  I could not reach in to take it out.  So, the sensor started beeping - because this time there really was a product that needed to be removed.  I opened up the machine and got the product out, but the beeping did not stop.   I unplugged the machine and plugged in back in and the beeping stopped.

I then vended a second bottle.  It worked fine.

I vended a third bottle and it seemed to work fine -- for about 15 seconds, then the beeping started again.  I have tried adjusted the screws again and unplugging and re-plugging the machine in, but I can't get the beeping to stop.

I am wondering whether the replacement sensor I used could have also have been bad.   If I bought a new sensor, should that fix the problem?   Or, does this sound like a situation where the board is bad?  If the board is bad, would cutting the wires like discussed above solve the problem?   Any thoughts would be appreciated.   Thanks.

Garytvmg

In order to properly adjust the sensor you need to remove the delivery bin. While it's out look through the holes the sensor shines through and make sure no loose fibers are hanging. Now look at the sidewall opposite the sensor and you'll see reflective tape that the beam reflects off of. To properly aim the sensor you need to cover the tape working in from each of the 4 sides. You are properly adjusted when it takes an equal amount of coverage from each side before the sensor beeps. If you aren't successful in adjusting it then it's time for a new sensor.

The new sensors have a visible light beam to aid in aiming it and you can PM me for a new one.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...