New to this forum

caserri

Well first off let me welcome you to the forum Dan! It is certainly a pleasure to have you aboard. I'm sure I can speak for all the new vendors out there when I say your presence here as an experienced vendor is appreciated. We all look forward to your input.

As for the other forum that now has "problems", I believe I know which you are referring to. I was also a member there as well. I learned much there and was sad to see things go the way it did. Thats why I started VENDiscuss. I wanted a place for new vendors to continue to come and learn what they need to know to be successful in vending. Also a place for experienced vendors to come and exchange ideas. So far I am pleased with our results. There are a few others here who were also members on the other board as well.

Just a note, once you reach 10 posts you can request access to our member PLUS section. We have a new library of vending related eBooks for you to read free of charge. Along with other misc vending tools and vendor revenue reporting.

Once again Dan, I welcome you!

Steve

I'm sure I can speak for all the new vendors out there when I say your presence here as an experienced vendor is appreciated. We all look forward to your input.

Let me clarify a little bit. I started to get into the business but then stopped because of my other two business'. I even went as far as joining Costco and purchasing some equipment and candy and building a real good website (still got the name) I was just stretched too thin. So thank goodness for Costco, they took everything back, un-opened of course.

The experience I have was from the other forum I belonged too and it was strictly "book learnen"

dan

What is the nature of your other two businesses?

The business that I sold was a spreadsheet business. Sounds boring but I developed a line of spreadsheets written just for companies that make handmade soaps, shampoos, toiletries and candles. These companies are all home based, the owners knew how to make their products but knew nothing of pricing them. So my spreadsheets let them enter their recipe, costs of ingredients, time to make and batch size and it told them how much each finished piece cost and gave a recommended selling price. After about seven years of this I got burned out on it and decided to close shop. I had a "going out of business" sale and large soapmaking supply company made me a nice offer on the rights to sell my spreadsheet line. Later (just out of the blue) another company offered to buy my website name. On this one I agreed to barter some of his products in exchange for the URL which I had no need for now.

The sale of my spreadsheet line helped fund my startup of http://www.theSMASHEDpenny.com it is basically a souvenir company. I came up with a unique idea and combined a smashed penny (typical touristy souvenir) of my own design with an original photograph. I package them as a set and sell them through retail outlets. I am still in the startup stages with three designs so far and two more in the works.

If anyone has machines in a very touristy location. Drop me a line. I have an idea that NOBODY else does. It is unique and might make us both a few extra $$. (sorry Steve, shameless plug for my business)

That spreadsheet thing sounds very appealing to the bulk vending biz!

I did write something for myself on this a couple of years ago. I think it was on figuring out profit and who sold bulk candy at the best price based on cost per serve. I will see if I can dig them up.

Hello Dan,

Welcome! I used to live in So. Cal. I was out there for 15 years. (All Over) I lived in Hemet, Riverside, O.C. (Orange and Anaheim) also La Habra. I moved my family out to NC almost 3 years ago.

What area are you in?

Sounds like you have a good head for business. As far as vending goes I am just getting back into vending with my family. I had a route (nothing big) 2 to 4 machines  for just over a year in So. Cal. That was over 10 years ago. I moved them around from Corona to S.B. to Riverside. I did OK back then. I will say it is very competitive there (especially in L.A.) I used to hear stories of competition sabotaging machines at locations. Saturated markets usually mean shared locations (but that can still work out just fine.) I used to share all of my locations except one. My machines were always clean, stocked and I always offered whatever candy was the best seller I had that the other machines didn't have. I tried to buy classy, "above average" looking machines too (back then I also repainted them myself Black and gold and black and chrome.) If you have a nice looking machine with good stock that is clean and the other machines look "ghetto", you get the quarter!! (Usually)

You may want to contact OAK Manufacturing if you are not too far from Vernon. OAK is a very good machine and if you can drive there to pick up the machines you can save money on shipping. (Sams and Costco are a good way to go too.) I like shopping Ebay myself.

I will say that there are a lot of good posts and info. here. I have learned a ton of stuff hanging out here. I am certainly no pro but I will offer any info. I can.

Regards,

David

http://www.oakmfg.com/

Hello Dan,

...I used to live in So. Cal. I was out there for 15 years. (All Over) I lived in Hemet, Riverside, O.C. (Orange and Anaheim) also La Habra. I moved my family out to NC almost 3 years ago.    What area are you in?

Small world David, I live in Brea (for those not in this area La Habra & Brea are next to each other) We will probably only be in Brea for two more years till our daughter graduates from high school. Just too expensive here.

Thanks for the info. I have contacted oak in the past and may use them but there are other machines that look nicer.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I think about it I may have a couple of locations I can refer you to. I will dig through some phone #'s and stuff. I'll ask my wife too. No promises but I'll let you know. What type of machines are you planning on using?:huh:??

Let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

David