Feminine products...how to calculate need?

Priusjames

Hello group-

Does anybody know how to calculate the feminine products needs (tampons and pads) of a population?

Our campus has 28,000 students, (57% are female)...as well as at least 3/4 of the staff and about a third of the faculty. The numbers for faculty and staff are small, in comparison with the students...but these people are here every day...students 3 days a week.

A lot of students live on campus, too.

The campus has stopped servicing feminine product machines on all but the first two floors of all buildings (without telling anybody, or putting signage on the upper floors instructing women of the change, and that they will have to menstruate on floors 1 and 2 only). They claim the entire campus goes through one case of tampons and one case of napkins a month...so they were wasting time filling machines on the upper floors.

The machines they use cost $367 to repair when people use slugs or break in (or so they tell me, but they lie A LOT), and don't even tell the customer it's out of stock (it gladly takes the quarter, though)...so they figure not filling them saves money. They aren't clever enough to realize the machines are getting broken into by women who just lost a quarter in a rushed attempt to buy something they really *need* at that moment. Did I mention these are women who are obviously "hormonal" at the time? That should be obvious from the product they are in need of...and *I* don't want to be the person they complain to while in that mood. I am, though, so I'm trying to prove to the AVC that he's getting bogus info from the people who stopped stocking the machines (university staff, they refused to allow the person bidding on the contract to collect quarters from the machines, but insisted they pay to repair broken ones...standard university bulls#*t, pass the buck and pretend everything is OK).

I'm so tired of being lied to by everybody on this campus in recent years (I've been here 25 years), this lying bogus BS all has started in recent years (California's lack of funding has been a real problem...don't believe anybody who tells you a dime more than necessary is being wasted on campus...85% of the budget goes straight to faculty salaries, which can NEVER be cut, and they continue to receive COLA and Merit increases while staff are being furloughed because there's no money left), the 15% left over pays for staff and everything else a university needs to survive.

Anybody know percentages or rough justice numbers on feminine products on a university campus (or any place with 14,000 women working there? I *might* be able to take over the account if I humiliate the liars (assuming we should be moving more product than 2 cases total a month), but will for sure be able to point out the communication problems to the AVC these people report to.

Or, maybe these numbers make sense and 14000 women only use a case or two of this product a month.

What say you, oracle of vending prowess?

Hello group-

Does anybody know how to calculate the feminine products needs (tampons and pads) of a population?

Our campus has 28,000 students, (57% are female)...as well as at least 3/4 of the staff and about a third of the faculty. The numbers for faculty and staff are small, in comparison with the students...but these people are here every day...students 3 days a week.

A lot of students live on campus, too.

The campus has stopped servicing feminine product machines on all but the first two floors of all buildings (without telling anybody, or putting signage on the upper floors instructing women of the change, and that they will have to menstruate on floors 1 and 2 only). They claim the entire campus goes through one case of tampons and one case of napkins a month...so they were wasting time filling machines on the upper floors.

The machines they use cost $367 to repair when people use slugs or break in (or so they tell me, but they lie A LOT), and don't even tell the customer it's out of stock (it gladly takes the quarter, though)...so they figure not filling them saves money. They aren't clever enough to realize the machines are getting broken into by women who just lost a quarter in a rushed attempt to buy something they really *need* at that moment. Did I mention these are women who are obviously "hormonal" at the time? That should be obvious from the product they are in need of...and *I* don't want to be the person they complain to while in that mood. I am, though, so I'm trying to prove to the AVC that he's getting bogus info from the people who stopped stocking the machines (university staff, they refused to allow the person bidding on the contract to collect quarters from the machines, but insisted they pay to repair broken ones...standard university bulls#*t, pass the buck and pretend everything is OK).

I'm so tired of being lied to by everybody on this campus in recent years (I've been here 25 years), this lying bogus BS all has started in recent years (California's lack of funding has been a real problem...don't believe anybody who tells you a dime more than necessary is being wasted on campus...85% of the budget goes straight to faculty salaries, which can NEVER be cut, and they continue to receive COLA and Merit increases while staff are being furloughed because there's no money left), the 15% left over pays for staff and everything else a university needs to survive.

Anybody know percentages or rough justice numbers on feminine products on a university campus (or any place with 14,000 women working there? I *might* be able to take over the account if I humiliate the liars (assuming we should be moving more product than 2 cases total a month), but will for sure be able to point out the communication problems to the AVC these people report to.

Or, maybe these numbers make sense and 14000 women only use a case or two of this product a month.

What say you, oracle of vending prowess?

I honesty wouldn't think there would be much demand for this. Certainly I don't know a whole lot about the overall demand for tampons, but women definitely plan their needs ahead of time and carry products with them on the days they might need them accordingly. It's not like a snack or soda machine, where you walk by it and just happen to decide right then that you'd like to have what's inside. The tampon machine really only benefits those in an emergency situation (those that remember there are tampon machines in the bathrooms) and also happen to have change in their purse or in their pocket to put in the machine.

If you're really interested in the opportunity (I probably would be too), and seeing that the campus already has the machines installed on the other floors--why not offer to take over those machines? They really don't do anyone much good where they are currently, and you could sell the idea by guaranteeing the women on campus will continue to receive the service they've come to expect from having those machines available to them in the past. It also means the campus won't have to display permanent "out of order" signs on the machines they don't fill or remove them and throw away (or try to sell them someplace).

If it turns out to be a profitable endeavor, you could later offer to take care of the machines on all floors. Or, if it's really only one case a month and there's little money to be made on this opportunity, you could just walk away from it without investing much more than a box of tampons.

Just an idea. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

You should be going through a TON, but they need to be name brand, Tampax is number one followed by OB. you are probably referring to bobrick machines which are complete junk, do not drive sales, and do not have the capasity to allow you to make this profitable. Look at protocol vending machines, they are worth every penny you pay, you will also be able to vend other items that will help drive sales.

You should be going through a TON, but they need to be name brand, Tampax is number one followed by OB. you are probably referring to bobrick machines which are complete junk, do not drive sales, and do not have the capasity to allow you to make this profitable. Look at protocol vending machines, they are worth every penny you pay, you will also be able to vend other items that will help drive sales.

Hey mxer,

Glad to see that you are still in the land of the living, its been a long time since you've posted. ^_^ Don't be such a stranger.

Archived