drilling a cyl lock

dogcow

the topic has come up a few times so i figure id mention this

my mover uses a dent puller (slide hammer) and a very sharp nail to pop the lock

but this doesnt always do the trick.

ive heard mission and other say to drill the lock straight on with a masonry bit and just drill it all the way out. this works sometimes but its given me problems with a security lock.

a lock smith showed me a better technique. you take a tiny drill bit and a small metal "pick" (you can get a set of dental tools at harbor freight, use a straight one). use a tiny drill bit to drill all around the lock cylinder where the pins are (look close u will see them), then poke them out with the dental pick. once you ahve done this grab the inner cylinder with a small thin pair of pliers and turn it, the lock will open quite easily

the topic has come up a few times so i figure id mention this

my mover uses a dent puller (slide hammer) and a very sharp nail to pop the lock

but this doesnt always do the trick.

ive heard mission and other say to drill the lock straight on with a masonry bit and just drill it all the way out. this works sometimes but its given me problems with a security lock.

a lock smith showed me a better technique. you take a tiny drill bit and a small metal "pick" (you can get a set of dental tools at harbor freight, use a straight one). use a tiny drill bit to drill all around the lock cylinder where the pins are (look close u will see them), then poke them out with the dental pick. once you ahve done this grab the inner cylinder with a small thin pair of pliers and turn it, the lock will open quite easily

Exactly, it takes about 10 minutes with a small cordless drill - I never needed the pick.

It's so easy, I'm thinking about investing in the high security locks that Mission uses.

Exactly, it takes about 10 minutes with a small cordless drill - I never needed the pick.

It's so easy, I'm thinking about investing in the high security locks that Mission uses.

I use Medeco key locks, not cylinder locks, can't do this to them. Got a GF19 out in the barn right now that I will have to get around to drilling and replacing the T-handle to get the machine open again. At its last home some bozo thought it would be really cool to stick pieces of a paperclip into the keyhole so the key won't go all the way in to open the lock.

I learned the hard way! But I learned to take your time, use a good bit, and lots of patience! Made me a easy fifty dollars today, by drilling out a lock on a machine without messing up the t-handle.

mike

I learned the hard way! But I learned to take your time, use a good bit, and lots of patience! Made me a easy fifty dollars today, by drilling out a lock on a machine without messing up the t-handle.

mike

With the Medeco hardened locks its much faster, easier and cheaper to trash the T-handle to get in.

With the Medeco hardened locks its much faster, easier and cheaper to trash the T-handle to get in.

A good portion of the machines from storage units was locked, so I was drilling thru t-handle until I learned to drill the lock out. I do have some Medeco locks just never had to drill them out. I actually went with a custom lock set for all my drink machines so I only have to carry one key. A lot less keys to carry!

mike

I use Medeco key locks, not cylinder locks, can't do this to them. Got a GF19 out in the barn right now that I will have to get around to drilling and replacing the T-handle to get the machine open again. At its last home some bozo thought it would be really cool to stick pieces of a paperclip into the keyhole so the key won't go all the way in to open the lock.

Milwaukee makes an electromagnetic drill press that would make drilling that lock a breeze. It's a small drill press designed for metal that has an electromagnet in the base which allows it to grip horizontally on anything metal. At $1,200, I don't recommend you buy one but you can often find them for rent - you would need your own annular bit.

I had the opportunity a few years ago to tour the Milwaukee Tools headquarters and one of the guys there told me a story about how the city of Milwaukee bought a couple of these to drill out some rusty bolts on a bridge by Lake Michigan. The two guys using them for the first time went to lunch and by the time they got back, the generator had run out of gas and both drill presses were at the bottom of the lake. Ouch

Archived