Keeping Candy Cool While Transporting During Summer Months

andyrosen

Hey All!

I’d love to hear all of your feedback on this technique I’ve developed:

I live in a very warm climate that’s stifling hot during the summer.  Here’s how I avoid reloading my vehicle every day and keep my candies cool - mostly gumballs, Mike & Ikes, Runts and PMM’s- when I’m refilling my machines:

To start, I own a white mini SUV with the fullest legal window tint legally available.  My vehicle refracts more sunlight that can potentially hit my candy.

I purchased about a dozen reusable "FREEZ PAK" PACKS (16 OZ size) and placed them all individually in resealable plastic bags.  More about the plastic bags later.

My wife gave me a bunch of her old oven mits she never uses and I placed all of the Freeze Packs (not a Freeze Pack endorsement, you can use whatever brand you like!) into separate oven mits and then freeze them.  

I then place all my candy into a big cheap plastic container, (the kind you’d place old paper files) into my vehicle placing the candy most vulnerable to heat in this tub last, mainly PMM’s.

Then I place three or four of the frozen packs in oven mits gently on top of the candy and voilà, instant refrigerator! 

When I’m on a refill-maintenance round for my candy, this can take almost a week, so I change out the frozen packs twice a day and when I not working my route, my car is in our shaded car port.

My reason for placing the packs in to separate, individually in plastic bags:

The frozen packs will melt over night and the packs will “bleed†water vapor.  The plastic bags protect my candy from leaking water.

I’ve tested this throughout May and June and after trial testing this for several weeks, I can tell you it works great!

One word of caution:  don’t pack your containers too tight or your PMM’s might crush and gumball shells might crack!

Happy vending!!

Good job Andy!  I use a good sized cooler and freezer packs.  The packs are each inside a sealable baggie.  I spread a few packs around on the bottom and top of the candy in the cooler.  I am good to go all day.

Good job Andy!  I use a good sized cooler and freezer packs.  The packs are each inside a sealable baggie.  I spread a few packs around on the bottom and top of the candy in the cooler.  I am good to go all day.

I use a cooler with freezer packs too.  However I've had issues with the bare freezer packs coming in contact with the candy through the bag, and it makes the candy sweat and the colors bleed.  So you have to make sure you have a buffer between the freezer packs and the candy bags.  A towel works good.  I like the idea of putting them in oven mitts.  I might try that out.

I use a large styrofoam cooler. It's cheap and holds the coolness longer. I also use the freezer packs and wrap them in absorbant pads. I'm fortunate to get the pads and freezer packs for free at the lab I work at. Towels for a buffer and putting them in baggies are great ideas.

If you don't want to buy the freezer packs, you can make your own. Just fill baggies with water and freeze them over night. The next day you have an instant freezer pack.

What about those coolers that plug into your cigarette lighter?  It's like a mini fridge in the car

Yes, they will work. I used to have one when I was driving truck OTR. Just make sure the fan is not blocked or it will not cool properly.

bacho

I have one of those coolers in my tractor at work too but have not tried it for my candy. My guess is it will hold 8 of the Sam's bulk bags. If I remember right it will cool to 40 degrees below outside air temp. I got mine at china mart last year for like $19.

bacho

I have one of those coolers in my tractor at work too but have not tried it for my candy. My guess is it will hold 8 of the Sam's bulk bags. If I remember right it will cool to 40 degrees below outside air temp. I got mine at china mart last year for like $19.

Beer, I think you're right about the cooling. The only thing I would worry about is it doesn't have a temp control. There may be some sweating of the candy after you fill the machine because it keeps it much cooler than an air conditioned building.