Just picked these machines up for $200 (together, not each)

The tags say FSI 3037 and FSI 3141....

Are these acutally USI machines?  I've only worked on/have Dixie Narco, Vendo, and Royals.....

Apparently the soda machine doesn't cool (they said this is the 3rd compressor in 3 years), and some of the motors don't work on the snack machine.... 

Any idea on how much the snack machine is worth providing I can get it all working?  Any guesses on the value of the soda machine?  It is multi-price....

post-3163-0-13852300-1367459628_thumb.jpg

post-3163-0-88091500-1367459656_thumb.jpg

post-3163-0-21545000-1367459726_thumb.jpg

The tags say FSI 3037 and FSI 3141....

Are these acutally USI machines?  I've only worked on/have Dixie Narco, Vendo, and Royals.....

Apparently the soda machine doesn't cool (they said this is the 3rd compressor in 3 years), and some of the motors don't work on the snack machine.... 

Any idea on how much the snack machine is worth providing I can get it all working?  Any guesses on the value of the soda machine?  It is multi-price....

That's a good deal for the snack machine - FSI (fawn) is a Wittern brand and most of the motor's in a given generation of machines are interchangeable so you could also use USI motors as well as other USI parts.

The soda machine is a serpentine vend - I have a couple of Crane 474 combo's that just have one bend but they're a real pain if you get a can jam.  I've heard some real horror stories about the kind you've got there.

For $200 you got a real good deal on the snack machine but I'm not sure even you  :wacko:  would want to mess with that soda machine.

I noticed it's a can only machine....  And from the looks of it, only 12 ounce at that....  Dunno what use the multi price is if I cant sell Rockstar and all that....  But whatever, it's another machine :)  Only need 4 more to make my 15 machine goal :)

As far as the snack machine...  I don't do snacks, but since it was a package deal, I went for it.....  Figure I'll just slap on a new coat of paint, clean it up, and fix the motors...  then sell it....  Any idea on what i should expect to get for it or at least what I should be asking?  

I noticed it's a can only machine....  And from the looks of it, only 12 ounce at that....  Dunno what use the multi price is if I cant sell Rockstar and all that....  But whatever, it's another machine :)  Only need 4 more to make my 15 machine goal :)

As far as the snack machine...  I don't do snacks, but since it was a package deal, I went for it.....  Figure I'll just slap on a new coat of paint, clean it up, and fix the motors...  then sell it....  Any idea on what i should expect to get for it or at least what I should be asking?  

If you're going to break out the paint,  clean them both up and sell them.  The snack machine should sell for $600 and I don't know who would want that soda machine mess.  Maybe unload that thing for your $200 investment.  By my calculations, YOU will get at least 3 good soda machines with that $600 profit  ;D

The model 3037 soda is sold under the USI and FSI names.  It is a multi-price, 12 oz. can-only serpentine machine.  It can be used for juices and sodas in 12 oz cans, and that it all.  Most vendors use it for just 8 selections of soda and they work fine.  The story on 3 compressors in 3 years means someone didn't take care of the machine to ensure good compressor life, or someone put in used units or didn't properly rebuild the units. 

The model 3141 snack is a GF35, again sold under the USI and FSI names.  It has an F80 multiprice board that, I believe, can support MDB.  It is a good machine when in good shape. 

Both of the machines look very scratched up, were you shooting through a scratched camera lens or windshield?  The machines look rough and painting them, especially the snack with the rounded edges can be difficult.  The snack should bring between $400 and $900 depending on condition and the soda between $300 and $600 depending on condition.

By my calculations, YOU will get at least 3 good soda machines with that $600 profit  ;D

Actually, I think I could get 6 good soda machines for $600 profit....  I'm frugal, remember?  :)

The model 3037 soda is sold under the USI and FSI names.  It is a multi-price, 12 oz. can-only serpentine machine.  It can be used for juices and sodas in 12 oz cans, and that it all.  Most vendors use it for just 8 selections of soda and they work fine.  The story on 3 compressors in 3 years means someone didn't take care of the machine to ensure good compressor life, or someone put in used units or didn't properly rebuild the units. 

The model 3141 snack is a GF35, again sold under the USI and FSI names.  It has an F80 multiprice board that, I believe, can support MDB.  It is a good machine when in good shape. 

Both of the machines look very scratched up, were you shooting through a scratched camera lens or windshield?  The machines look rough and painting them, especially the snack with the rounded edges can be difficult.  The snack should bring between $400 and $900 depending on condition and the soda between $300 and $600 depending on condition.

They're really not in that bad of shape....  looks like someone painted a wall next to the machine and splattered latex paint on them...  I could probably get it off...  And only a few minor dents...  I was thinking maybe paint the snack machine with the spray paint that has a texture in it...  Has the same texture as a Rhino lining in a pickup truck, but I think it has white flecks in it....  I think that would hide the small dents...

The jamming problems that were mentioned for the soda machine...  Do they seem to jam when its being filled, or while its in service?  Wondering what I could do to prevent it...

They're really not in that bad of shape....  looks like someone painted a wall next to the machine and splattered latex paint on them...  I could probably get it off...  And only a few minor dents...  I was thinking maybe paint the snack machine with the spray paint that has a texture in it...  Has the same texture as a Rhino lining in a pickup truck, but I think it has white flecks in it....  I think that would hide the small dents...

The jamming problems that were mentioned for the soda machine...  Do they seem to jam when its being filled, or while its in service?  Wondering what I could do to prevent it...

Think roller - give it a light sanding (so the paint will stick) and pick up a quart of Rustoleum Satin Black (OSH $10).  It'll look so good you'll want to start vending snacks - well, maybe not that good. :rolleyes:  The roller will hide the dents and you should be able to navigate the round edges if you roll horizontally - this is not a high skill level project.

As for that soda machine, the best way to keep it from jamming is to sell it to somebody else  B)

Donut, the serpentine columns can jam when loading if you are in a big hurry while doing so.  Those jams don't occur very far down the rack- usually right at the top as the can goes in crooked.  The real trick is to not use warm or hot cans, as the rolling action can shake them up and cause the bottoms to pop out which can jam the can.  There are also a lot of sharp edges, so be careful with the cans when loading at the top.

The biggest problem will occur if you allow the machine to get too cold and the cans freeze.  This will happen if the thermostat sticks or fails completely.  At the first sign that the compressor is not turning off, or people begin to thank you for flecks of ice in their sodas and for how cold they are, you need to immediately change the thermostat - and I don't mean tomorrow - do it the day you find the symptom.  If you have cans freeze in this machine, the tops and bottoms pop out, and they can burst and you will have not only the impossible task of getting all the cans out, but all the melted soda as well.

Donut, you've passed frugal and entered the land of cheap. ;D

Donut, the serpentine columns can jam when loading if you are in a big hurry while doing so.  Those jams don't occur very far down the rack- usually right at the top as the can goes in crooked.  The real trick is to not use warm or hot cans, as the rolling action can shake them up and cause the bottoms to pop out which can jam the can.  There are also a lot of sharp edges, so be careful with the cans when loading at the top.

The biggest problem will occur if you allow the machine to get too cold and the cans freeze.  This will happen if the thermostat sticks or fails completely.  At the first sign that the compressor is not turning off, or people begin to thank you for flecks of ice in their sodas and for how cold they are, you need to immediately change the thermostat - and I don't mean tomorrow - do it the day you find the symptom.  If you have cans freeze in this machine, the tops and bottoms pop out, and they can burst and you will have not only the impossible task of getting all the cans out, but all the melted soda as well.

I've got several of these in the field with over 15 years of service on them. I have had the freezing thing happen to me once, it was not a good day. That said, these have been pretty good machines for, in the right account they are worth keeping. Besides I hate moving a 870 lb beast.

The serpentine system will slow you down on loading a little bit but its not a big deal.

Great!  Thank you gentlemen (and even moondog :P  ) for all your advice....

I guess now I know what I'm going to be doing on my days off next week.....

Archived