"House Cleaning"

Beer980

Antonio, it's not that we don't want to agree with you, we just see things a little different. You want to make this a leaner, more exclusive membership then we do. I like the open friendly approach better, sure there will be some bloat and some hit and run members, but still it will be open.

It took you 4 days to get your first 10 posts in, you also became a member 3 months after I did, and you have almost 200 more posts then me. It is obvious that you enjoy forums, you say that at a table you would more likely be the quite one were as I would be the loudmouth, assuming I have something to say. Different mediums for communication is more comfortable for some then others. It is difficult for me to write what I think over speaking it in person because if I insult you in person I can say sorry right away, but not in a post. Also facial expression is a lot easier to read in person then in a post. SHUT-up in person takes on a different meaning then on a forum. (with varying ages)

Of course there could be another option, buy your way into plus status. 20 posts or a $5.00 donation for Plus status, just to show some commitment to the community.

Well I guess I will chime in here. I have been monitoring this thread but decided not to get involved until after our big birthday bash.There are a couple different points brought up here. I will address each one individually.

1. Charter Membership. My vision of Charter Membership was to recognize those members who were here from the beginning. It never had anything to do with remaining active on the board. I understand that members will come and go throughout the life of this board. The one thing that can not change is who was here when it started. Like I have said to others in the chat room recently, for us to delete and add charters based upon their activity here would be like us calling George Bush a founding father of America simply because George Washington is dead and no longer active in the community. I happen to collect sports cards as a hobby. The set I am currently trying to complete is the 1951 Bowman football set. There are very few of these cards left that are in collectible condition. That is what makes them to valuable to myself and others. I do not expect Bowman to start producing more 1951's simply because the originals are no longer around much. Also, there is a misconception that 29 CM's have never posted. That is false as it was a requirement that a post had to be made in order to gain Charter status. One day, there may only be 1 or 2 charters left active on the board. Their membership will be much more valuable to them because of that. They will be recognized for who they are. If we keep adding to the charter list, we will soon forget who actually is charter and who is not. In closing, Charter Member status will not change. It is what it implies no matter how many are still active.

2. "House Cleaning" of inactive members. My first question to everyone who has an issue with these members is "What does it matter to you?" I mean honestly, do you even know that they are there? Do they send you PM's reminding you that they hold a spot here but do not post? This question comes to mind each time this topic comes up. And it has several times in the past. Please understand that I wish everybody would be active. It would make for a much better group. But the fact remains that we will never have 100% participation. If we achieve 20% participation, then thats great! What no one who wants to delete these members seems to understand is that they are actually doing more good for the community than bad. Consider this, They use up no resources. They cause no strife. They are not out to deceive. And if you didn't look specifically for them, you'd never even know they were there. How do they actually help us? Well in addition to traffic statistics, advertisers, and more importantly, sponsors are very attracted to sites that have larger member bases. They don't care whether or not they are active. All they see is a potential like-minded audience. Beyond that, the larger the number next to the words "Number of registered users", the more likely a visitor to the site will actually sign up for membership. How many times have you been to other forums, vending or not, where you would look to see how many members they had before you took the time to sign up? It is the first thing I look at before I waste my time signing up, then posting a question only to have it never answered because the site only had 5 registered members. These are just two ways that these non active members help us, all while doing nothing that could hurt us.Another point I'd like to make is that there are some members here that have never made a post but check in every day. Literally, EVERY DAY. There are more than a couple members who correspond with me via email with questions and comments. They tell me how much they enjoy the site and how much they have gotten from it. One gentleman in particular said to me that he will not post because he is not the best speller. In fact his wife had actually typed the email to me because he had such a hard time. This member has been online more often than anyone here. (besides myself) He has never made a post but he is as much of a supporter as anyone. I'm sure he is not alone. While I honestly appreciate everyones concern for the site, I just don't see a pressing need to delete users right now. Until it comes to a point that these inactive users are actually hindering the sites performance in some way, there will be no pruning. The benefit of having them here, active or not, far outweighs the problems they cause our community.Steve

Thanks Steve, nice post and I fully understand waiting for the Birthday Bash to be over before responding.

Now to the important part of the post, there actually is somebody here more often then T-Bird and myself. Damm and I thought I was here a lot. :):):)

I post quite a bit. I thought it would take forever to get 20 quality posts. It turned out fine. I think more than not, people would get frustrated and go inactive if the bar was set to high. We have enough inactives now I think.

I love the board the way it is. By the time you get to twenty posts, you are ready for all the good stuff. I just think 40 would take to long. Just my opinion.

I now understand why you don`t want to clean house Steve.

Mountain Man:I `ll give u 40 is too much,but  we have to agree that 20 is low.

would Steve even change this?you didn`t say anything about this matter!!:D

*rereads Steves post and comes back*

Grumpy:you are right it is harder to understands ones tones in a post.in person would be better

I see your point in not wanting to up the # of posts.I really dont want a more exclusive forum in general either it`s just the goodies I want harder to get.

maybe we should add a small fee and 30 posts:shock::shock:

Call me crazy,

I say let it be...I realize that there will alway's be those who come here and when they see a carrot(plus) dangling in front of them..they will do what it takes to get there...wether they do it by actually asking questions and making comments OR just posting to get to the #

The forum will never be able to stop this..wether you raise the # or not...Adding a fee?? you already have that as a designation...Maybe you move that designation in front of the PLUS so that those who climb the ladder "pay for the opportunity"  ****I DO NOT THINK THIS IS WISE***  That then becomes a defacto membership fee..that is not what I thought this was about..this may also become a "IRS" issue..dues..

I think.....we continue to believe that the members here are all good hearted and doing the posting for altruistic reasons rather than wasting our valuable brain power to worry about those that are not...the amount of time that it takes to read posts is not that significant that it interupts any of our schedules...if so..come back more often..

I also believe that we need to strive to keep our posts on the positive side..I have seen what appears to be  "short tempers"  and "jumping all over peoples words" in various threads..this only leads to bad vibes and then ruins the threads..

We need to keep in mind that this is a Learning and sharing site.....My two cents

It seems like it was 10 quality posts when I started, and I thought I'd never get there. So 20 seems high to me. You have to remember that a lot of new members aren't even in the vending business yet, so they probably don't feel they can contribute to a board with many experienced members. The only thing left is to ask questions that have been asked many times in the past, are we sure we want to encourage this?  Tom

Tom,

I believe that if they do not ask the questions, they may not ge the answers that they need. 

Yes it would be better for them to go back and read the old threads and get the info from that time..BUT some of that info may have changed based on the economy, the like and dislikes of the public, the new and old machines and the changes that have happened to different company's

I may be wrong...but i'll bet that the recommendation for 1-800 machines MAY be different today as compared to a year ago...maybe not.

If we do not encourage the newbies to ask questions and get involved..they may never become real Active Members...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello

Why in the world would some one not want to return here they must be MAD I say MAD LOL.

forgive my sick sense of humor.I will say though I am new here and in the last couple of hours I am learning from this forum.There is a weath of info here and I hope to be around a long time.

people pay large money to learn this kind of info.

Please keep up the GREAT work I am your student I am here to learn and earn more and more.

Those people that come and do not return are deston to fail.Please feel free to clean house get rid of the clutter let the real venders learn from the pro's.

sorry to babble but that is how I feel.

you can always tell when new chatty people join the site.

in 2 days I have had about 50 vendiscuss topic reply notification.

Yeah and check out the stats at the bottom of the homepage! .. :shock:

Steve

• 1 year later...