IS IT POSSIBLE TO GO FULL TIME WITH THE ACRYLIC STYLE HONOR BOXES?

OK Sherlock,

I very much so disagree with you but those reasons can be debated all day long and I don't think that just because someone disagrees with you makes them "less-than intellegent"(actually it's spelled "intelligent") 

Anyway, for the purposes of this forum, I came here to discuss vending and particularly acrylic honor box vending........I'm just trying to get an idea here for how much theft takes place with these things with a charity sticker. For the people who are doing acrylic honor box vending right now, what is your average percentage  theft rate per box per servicing? Also how many boxes (percentage wise) do you end up having to pull from your initial locations (If you're doing acrylic honor box vending with the charity sticker? Is it one out of four, one out of eight, one out of twelve, what is it?

What I'm planning on doing is compacting my route as much as I possibly can (doing my own locating) with my stops as close together as possible. Any of the acrylic honor box locations that I get that fall apart (because of theft), I won't even ever bother carding the box, I'll simply go back to the location and tell them I've switched my business model around and could I put in a bulk candy machine because I believe I can better serve their needs that way. Also I won't ever pull the under performers unless they are so low that either they can't make the $1 per month sticker cost or the product expires before any of it is ever eaten. The way I see it, as long as the box is making a profit (regardless of however small) and it's in-line with my route then I'm always going to continue the account.

Anyway, what do you all think about this?

OK Sherlock,

I very much so disagree with you but those reasons can be debated all day long

Why not take a moment to explain how you arrived at your reasoning behind how you, an honor box route owner, would have the rights/abilities to LEGALLY manage your business earnings in a manner similar to a 501c?

You have compared the earnings an honor/charity route owner receives to monies received by non-profits more than once.

I am not saying you can't do what you claim, because you can....just like I wouldn't say you can't rob a bank, because people do it. But, being possible does not make it legal.

All I am saying is that the rules governing what a non-profit can do with their earnings do not apply to a for-profit in the slightest.

You seem to disagree. So, can you explain your view using something other than "well charities get to use donations for expenses other than their cause".

That view does not hold water because non-profits can only do that LEGALLY because they have filed for, and received, 501c status...a status you would not have without being a recognized non-profit.

Sherlock,

You just said above to "PLEASE STOP!" with regards to what my own personal views are regarding non-profit organizations and how I don't think they are really much different at all than a regular business in the monetary market system so I'm not going to discuss this with you. It's only going to lead to an argument and I came here to discuss acrylic honor box vending. You are a moderator of this forum and you should be seeing to it that people stay on track with their discussions and don't end up in petty arguments like this. You told me yetserday not to voice my opinions on that and I respect what you said. Now I'm not going to get baited out into an argument like that, it's not intelligent and it serves no purpose or constructive value towards what this forum should be about which is vending.

On another note, if anyone is doing acrylic honor box style vending, I need to know the answer to this if you would please - Do you ever card these boxes if they come up short?

Edited by fredfarmer775

Good points about why you are no longer willing to discuss non-profits' money management.

I appreciate you taking my request to heart.

I hope you continue to do so.

But, don't think I was being argumentative.

I was just providing counter points as part of your focus group.

Not unlike the counter points you make to those with honor box ideas/experiences that differ from your own.

With that...let's get back to our regularly scheduled program....

OK touche' Sherlock, touche'...........................................

Anyway, can anyone please tell me if these acrylic honor boxes (with the charity stickers) can generally go without ever having to leave notes on the boxes if they're short? Can you just simply leave these boxes alone that way and generally expect that you won't have theft rate climb so high that you will have to start the whole process of leaving notes, talking with the managers/owners, etc?

Harvending, what do you know about this?

treadmill what do you know about this?

Edited by fredfarmer775

I dont card the location because for one thing the customers of the business are the ones most likely buying or stealing the candy. There is nothing you can do to deter this. For example I had a candy box located in a auto repair facility. One day owner is behind front counter and watched a woman take candy from the box and not put any money in there. He then proceeds to ask the woman if she is going to pay for the candy that she just took. She tells the owner with a straight face that she did not take any candy from the box and said why should she put money in when she did not take any candy. The owner was furious and told the lady to get out of his place of business. So I do not think carding a location will do any good.

Now the reason my numbers were high was because these were new locations and they had not been weeded out yet. As of right now all of my bad locations have been cleaned out.

OK thank you treadmill. That is just EXTREMELY GOOD NEWS. Harvending said the same thing.................

When I was running a cardboard honor box route I knew that as soon as I started to have to leave notes on the box, it wouldn't be long before I was going to have to speak to the manager/owner of the location about the theft problems and then it wouldn't be soon after that until I was asked to either take the box out or I would choose to leave under my own accord because the stealing would have gotten out of hand by that point. The cradboard honor box system is just a dud unless you're going to use those to try and set up other types of vending.

If you don't really even need to card the boxes then I'm beginning to see these acrylic honor boxes as basically bulk candy vending machines but at a MUCH LOWER COST. You could get several hundred of these things out all over the place, never have to spend any time restocking the boxes, not deal with NEARLY the theft problems you have with the cardboard honor boxes and just basically build a  SKY ROCKET business.

Any thoughts here?

(BTW, thanks again for your help treadmill and Harvending).

One thing you have to remember and that is theft will always happen to one degree or another. Even my best locations have a little theft but nothing to get worried about.

After initial placement on the average about 20% will have to be picked up due to high shrinkage, the owner doesn't want anymore or very slow locations. Also after the first six months or so you will have another 20% that will need to be picked up. This is part of the game.

Good point.Theft is always a cost of doing business though no matter what business you're in. But if your theft rate is so high (like mine was in the cardboard honor box business) that it's costing you more money than you actually make in profit, then you realize (like I did) that the cardboard honor box business is for the birds.

20% before 6 months and then 20% after 6 months really aint bad AT ALL, especially when you don't have to work so damn hard (and long)restocking the boxes, folding new boxes, etc. I've not done bulk candy before but I would imagine that that is comparable to bulk candy gumball machines. Your time then aside from servicing your boxes can then be spent locating new accounts or spending time with kids (if you have any), hanging out at the local coffee shop, hiking in the outdoors, picking up women, whatever. Nothing's better than a business that runs itself most of the time.

Anyway, my hats off to you treadmill and Harvending and anyone else who decided to go into acrylic honor boxes If I had been smart enough to do that back then instead of going into cardboard honor boxes, I would never have wasted so much time, money and effort and would be in a MUCH better position than I'm in right now. There's no time like the present though and I'm really looking forward to getting started with this.

• 3 weeks later...

What happened to Fred? Must have been a drive by.

If you look under his profile "pic" on the left side of his posts you will see exactly what happened to him.

He gave admin/mods little choice.

Using abusive language towards and threatening bodily harm on another TVF member makes banning someone an easy decision.

Thanks for the info. To me it sounded like he was the one who posted about the honor box horror story. Just seemed similar in style to me. I'm on my iPhone so I can't see it in the format it is in.

Edited by treadmill

• 6 years later...

Why is it poor etiquette to post in an old thread, if it's on topic?  This is a strange forum.  When newbies arrive with questions they're told by regulars to stop making new threads and read the old content.  When newbies read the old content and post in those threads they're told it's poor etiquette.

This forum has so little participation, why not encourage people to participate instead of chasing everyone off?

There are states where sales tax is not "paid on gross sales, period".  Your statement is incorrect.

1 hour ago, Vending Dude said:

There are states where sales tax is not "paid on gross sales, period".  Your statement is incorrect.

Can you give an example for this? 

Everything I have read says that sales tax is paid on gross sales, so I am curious where and what circumstances this is incorrect.

Missouri collects sales tax based on 135% of the wholesale cost for vending machine sales, not on gross sales.

A slightly different, but similar, circumstance is that some places don't collect sales tax at all for a vended service such as a coin operated washing machine.

• Thanks 1

Obviously the reason why you have so little participation this site is at most of the replies I get or that I read are quite rude and obnoxious

Someone seems to forget that they were a "newbie "at one time and they needed advice if they had to decide whether to start a business like this or not

You think a simple question would get a simple answer but apparently that doesn't work here

Don't worry I'll stop using this site

Goodbye